1 Posts

Puerto Rico» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Two new players, and two experienced ones. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
E Lewy
United States
flag msg tools
After a break at Unity Games XII to eat dinner at the restaurant inside the hotel, we headed back into the second game room and started up my first game of Puerto Rico. I had been unimpressed, earlier in the evening, with Settlers, as the game primarily consisted of us all trying to trade with each other for resources that nobody had. But I will detail that in another session review.

I enjoyed PR quite a bit more. I especially appreciate some of the design decisions made for the game. Most notably, I loved the individual game boards. I am visually impaired and physically disabled. so with those two things combined I often find myself having to peer at centralized b0ards in confusion. Add in that I'm short, and imagine me standing up now and again to get a better view of what's going on. All in all, it's a bit of a strain, and you might wonder why I am into board gaming at all. Well. because it's fun, of course! If need be I usually get someone to read the appropriate flavor text or remind me of the symbols on a space.

But, none of that was necessary here because I had my own little board! (I also checked the appropriate page of the rulebook for building costs rather than reading them off the centralized little cards.)

So, right away I was charmed. Resource management also seemed much better implemented than in SoC. So I was happy as a clam after my previous experience.

I began as the third player and received a corn plantation. Really exciting! But I soon spiced things up by collecting tobacco fields. I quickly became the tobacco queen of Puerto Rico, and built a large warehouse to store all my tobacco and sugar in, so I was only ever exporting corn.

I had the majority of victory points for most of the game until a final moment of truth, when I had only nine dubloons and could not build any ten dubloon buildings while everyone else was doing so.

The final score was:
Robin: 56 (thanks to TWO of the ten-dubloon buildings--she had diversified and built the factory.)
Erin: 46 (No tenners.)
Gabriel: 45
Dan: 39

I was cursing my decision not to build the large market when I had had the chance. That would have made the difference in my cash flow.

I will definitely be watching my dubloons more carefully next game.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.