Popular Tags: [View All]
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a scientist, I am trying to keep up with recent discoveries and breakthroughs by reading a few of the millions of scientific journals. I was very surprised when I saw board game boxes in one of them. A group of two teenagers, three graduate students, two postdocs and three professors wondered if there are any board games that implement evolutionary theme well enough. Just before holidays! They have tested Evolution, Evolution: Random Mutations and Terra Evolution: Tree of Life. The results of their research were published in recent issue of Nature, one of the most influential science journals.

Guess who won:

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v528/n7581/full/528192a...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing stuff. Glad to see this there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Van Willis
United States
Kaysville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had I realized in graduate school that I could get published in Nature by writing about all the board games I was playing I could have made it out in half the time! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
North Star Games
United States
Kensington
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Evolution is our favourite by far."

Quote of the year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
They really should have tried Bios: Megafauna and Origins: How We Became Human.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
slashing wrote:
They really should have tried Bios: Megafauna and Origins: How We Became Human.

They may have. They tried a total of 10 games. Those were the three that they liked best for the more in-depth review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
Manhattan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
It was the Dino-meeple that convinced them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Stuart West (a professor of evolutionary biology at Oxford) wants to use board games as a teaching tool for his students. He needs a board game that models the process of natural selection that takes place in a dynamic ecosystem. He's putting together a program where his students will play the game several times, write an essay, and then have an hour long discussion with them about the experience.

Our game was at a huge advantage because it was originally designed by an evolutionary biologist in Russia as a teaching tool, so we got lucky. We've already had a bunch of inquiries into the game by other professors. This is like a dream come true for me. My academic background and my passion for board games are finally converging!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
Stuart West (a professor of evolutionary biology at Oxford) wants to use board games as a teaching tool for his students. He needs a board game that models the process of natural selection that takes place in a dynamic ecosystem. He's putting together a program where his students will play the game several times, write an essay, and then have an hour long discussion with them about the experience.

Our game was at a huge advantage because it was originally designed by an evolutionary biologist in Russia as a teaching tool, so we got lucky. We've already had a bunch of inquiries into the game by other professors. This is like a dream come true for me. My academic background and my passion for board games are finally converging!

Cool! I am glad whenever board games get along with education. I have used both Evolution and its predecessor Evolution: The Origin of Species in teaching, both with university and high school students. Although both games are very simplified in mechanics compared to the real evolutionary process, they are a good starting points to discuss several strategies, adaptations, trade-offs and the Red Queen hypothesis. The introduction of population size and amazing illustrations make Evolution a superior teaching tool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stu West
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
Thanks for linking to this Jarek! And I totally agree restartiung point for teaching those topics.

Nature have a quite severe word limit and so I just wanted to add a couple of other things.

Yes, there are a lot of other games we would have loved to include. But we could only cover so many in the space, and we figured that ones like Dominant Species were a bit heavy for the Nature audience.

I'd also like to point people to Dominic Crapuchettes designer diary for evolution, which a gives a great description of the development of Evolution, from the game by the Russian Biologist Dmitry Knorre through to the current version and the flight extension.
https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/42179/designer-diary-evol...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Farmington
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Hobby aquariums are just like board games: except wet, fishy, and you can't play them.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have good friends who are in one of my game groups that don't believe in evolution for religious reasons. Therefor I haven't pulled out my Evolution game for that group. I had the idea that Dominic could probably release the same game with the title "Intelligent Design" because the players are designing the evolution of the animals. It would open his game up to a whole new demographic, lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Jones
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BrackAttack wrote:
I have good friends who are in one of my game groups that don't believe in evolution for religious reasons. Therefor I haven't pulled out my Evolution game for that group. I had the idea that Dominic could probably release the same game with the title "Intelligent Design" because the players are designing the evolution of the animals. It would open his game up to a whole new demographic, lol.

You should get removable stickers, and cover up the "Evolution" title everywhere with "Intelligent Design". Then after they're all hooked, peel off the stickers and see if they notice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BrackAttack wrote:
I have good friends who are in one of my game groups that don't believe in evolution for religious reasons. Therefore I haven't pulled out my Evolution game for that group. I had the idea that Dominic could probably release the same game with the title "Intelligent Design" because the players are designing the evolution of the animals. It would open his game up to a whole new demographic, lol.

There might actually be a market for that, given how many evolution doubters there are in the U.S. and how little they are catered to.[/mercenary]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
Brevity exceeds allocated space
mbmbmbmbmb
BrackAttack wrote:
Dominic could probably release the same game with the title "Intelligent Design" because the players are designing the evolution of the animals. It would open his game up to a whole new demographic, lol.

Yes, because you are choosing the attributes and not just rolling dice to see whether they occur and more dice to have random ones applied, ID would actually be a more apt title for the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
If in doubt, flat out
badge
"Unlike work, which needs some detachment and ought not to be taken too seriously, games need to be played with the utmost seriousness and dedication." - Bruno Faidutti
mbmbmbmbmb
Keithustus wrote:
BrackAttack wrote:
Dominic could probably release the same game with the title "Intelligent Design" because the players are designing the evolution of the animals. It would open his game up to a whole new demographic, lol.

Yes, because you are choosing the attributes and not just rolling dice to see whether they occur and more dice to have random ones applied, ID would actually be a more apt title for the game.

Not quite. The attributes you get to choose still come from a random pool. If it was ID then you would always have available the exact attribute you needed at any time. It's not ID if an opponent has a carnivore and I don't have any defence cards in my hand to protect my pop 1 species or enough to boost its size, for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls