Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam McLean
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still going back and forth about picking up the SoS expansion, maybe used or thru a discount game site since I would be getting it to expand the base game. Although we would never get to the 4 player game, we always have 5 - 6 players, I thought some of the components from SoS would greatly enhance the base game. However, before I do that, I would like to know what some of the cards and abilities are so I can get a better feel for it.

What are some of the new Westeros deck cards (how does it fix original)?

What about the varied wildling attack cards?

New house cards?

Leaders?

Tactics?

Allies, Neutral Armies, Mercenaries?

Can weather be used in the base game?

Any help you can give is greatly appreciated. The group I play with absolutely love this game and it seems to be what we all settle on every time we get together, so any ways to enhance the experience and increase the strategy is what we are looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Corn
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Soon you'll be wearing my sword like a shish kebab!
badge
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are available on-line and cover a lot of what you're asking in detail:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/PDF/asos_rules.pdf

But to summarize...

The new Westeros decks do not have reshuffle cards, which sounds minor but makes a big difference. The later round cards are more predictable. Each deck has a wild card in which the holder of a certain token can decide what effect occurs (Deck I has four muster, four supply, and two "Iron Throne chooses muster, supply, or nothing" cards, for example).

The Wildling attack variants are interesting. Each card has an effect for the high bidder in the case of a win and the low bidder in the case of a loss. A couple of examples:

Wildling Victory: Lowest Bidder must convert all knights to footmen or remove them, everyone else must do the same with two knights. Night's Watch Victory: Highest Bidder may immediately upgrade any two footmen to knights.

Wildling Victory: Lowest Bidder moves to the bottom of every Influence Track, everyone else may not use special orders this turn. Night's Watch Victory: Highest Bidder moves to the top of one Influence Track of his choice, taking the appropriate Influence Token.

The new house cards have each house with the same strength (compared to the high powered cards in Clash of Kings). Each house has a 4 card, a 3 card, two 2 cards, two 1 cards, and a 0 card. There are no 'cancel' or 'ignore' cards, and in general the cards do not require victories to activate the powers (Bran Stark, for example, is identical to Maester Luwin in the low power deck but does not need Stark to win the battle).

Some of the interesting cards: Balon Greyjoy (4, if you win this battle, gain Power tokens equal to the difference in total strength in the battle), Cersei Lannister (1, your opponent must lose two Power tokens at the end of the battle), Catelyn Stark (1, if you are being supported in this battle, gain +2 combat strength and one Fortification Icon).

Leaders all follow the same general mechanic (check the rules for details). Each leader has an activation token and a deactivated combat strength on one side, and an activated combat strength and activation ability (either sword icon or power gain) on the other. Leaders allow combat and marches to occur during each of the raid, march, and consolidate power phases. You can move troops around like crazy with leaders, and a leader like Balon (raid activated, gain power) is a power generating beast since you can activate leaders multiple times per turn.

Tactics cards are all in the rules linked above. They are selected and revealed with the orders, so you have to do a little paper-scissors-rock sometimes to get the right card (Hold Territory vs. Control Westeros vs. Manage Troops, etc.).

The allies, neutral armies, mercenaries, and weather effects are not used in the 5/6 player game.

So there are some changes to the 5/6 player game but probably leaders will have the biggest impact. Leaders and tactics like Manage Troops can result in large armies moving around in surprising ways that can be tough to plan against.

Oh, you can capture leaders and execute them, too, which is always fun.

And the four player game is very good and worth a try, especially since you'll be able to use the ally cards which add a whole different element to the game. I'm sure there's a way to incorporate the ally deck into the 5/6 player game but I haven't looked at it much yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam McLean
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks R C, I didn't realize the entire rules were available online, that helps quite a bit. Thanks also for all the examples, I appreciate it. It seems that people have only good things to say about this expansion, maybe I'll give it a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Browne
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't quite get what you mean with the paper-rock-scissors comment. But I pretty much agree with the rest.

Not having investigated, I would assume that just by using the tactics cards in AGOT you would then include the allies decks, as you would be introducing the method to buy them. (Forge Alliances).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Corn
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Soon you'll be wearing my sword like a shish kebab!
badge
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
mbmbmbmbmb
In the base AGOT game, the Forge Alliances cards are not used. Instead, a "Support Allies" card is used which allows a +1 to be granted to any house requesting support, as well as the Forge Alliances ability to replace a raided support with a support -1 by spending 2 power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.