Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick S.
United States
Laguna Niguel
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played a few games of the new Conquest of the Empire over the last month. I enjoyed the game, but felt disappointed in how useless most of the territories are. I needed to conquer everything. So we got together this weekend and played a four person game of the original.

Lambchops was in Hispania, Willy in Macedonia, Raul in Mesopotamia and I was in Numidia. Right from the get go, Willy started expanding out and headed for Asia and Italia. Raul moved to capture the providences to get his ports. I expanded out in the only two directions I had and Lambchops used a couple people to capture the rest of Spain while moving most people towards Italia. Lambchops decided to get an early start in buying towns with the intention of quickly pushing Willy back. Willy got to Italia first, but Chops forced him to retreat. Willy countered by moving by boat a large army to Neopolis. Lambchops did not expect to be attacked because Willy is normally a very timid player. Without warning, Willy attacked and dealt out a sever blow. In what would be a foreshadow for later events, Chops rolled 5 dice and hit with none.

At this point Raul had decided to attack Willy and so the Italia forces were brought back to retake Asia. In the meantime, I had conquered Africa and built roads the entire length. I started to accumulate a large force with intentions of heading towards Raul while he was busy with Willy. Chops decided to pull me into the fray and using a boat, took over my fortified city across from Gibraltar. He then destroyed the city to prevent my army from immediately countering. Willy seeing his opportunity to mess with everyone on the board, moved a fleet and to the territory to the left Egyptus and destroyed my cities there. I was stuck with no easy way to rebuild my great highway.

In a sudden turn of events, Willy lead a charge into battle with his Caesar against a larger army containing Raul's Caesar. Raul crushed Willy's army and forced him to retreat. On the following turn, Raul captured Willy's empire. I was left with a poor choice and an unlikely choice. I could team up with Lambchops to fight the new threat, but because I was so low in income with nowhere to expand to (while Lambchops had all of Europe) I would be left in the dust by both remaining players. My other option was to attack Lambchops and hope to capture his Caesar. I moved my entire fleet of 14 units + four generals to the island just north of me to position myself to do either. Instead of mopping up Europe, Lambchops saw the threat and split his forces into two, one in Hispania with his Caesar and one in Italia. Expecting that he could retreat his Caesar if I attacked, he was ready. I decided invade and it was my 14 against his 9. I had 9 dice and by the hand of Mars, I hit with ever single die. I didn't deserve it, but I took his empire.

This left me with a large army and a lot of territory. I quickly used my Italian troops to push into Macedonia. My forces in Hispania moved back to North Africa and I created a larger army of 28 units with my newly won wealth. I sailed my fleet to Cyprus where Raul was waiting in Palestine on a fortified city. Instead of waiting for my other armies to arrive by land, He attacked Cyprus. I was rolling nine dice while he had eight. I had 28 troops against his 21. I also had a more diverse grouping of units. Despite the odds, he rolled well and put a hurt on my troops. In the end, the attrition was too much I finished the fight alive.

This session taught me the power of navies. Numidia is a difficult place to hold because of the ability to strike and destroy the roads back.

As I said, CotE 2 is fun and I like a lot of the ideas in it. Ultimately though, I feel much more satisfied after this. Even all the other players wanted to play again immediately after our 4 hour game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Brown
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chops, eh? You didn't think I was still lurking on the geek.

For the record, I was agitating for another go at the CotE2 rules for our second game. I did really enjoy this, but I'd like to actually finish a game of CotE2.

I'm not entirely convinced on this rules set after one play. I think that we had an exceptional game. Everyone at the table had a turn at being leader and feeling like they were going to win. And everyone had a turn in the barrel. That kept us all into it. It really was a roller coaster of a game.

Another thing that really made it so memorable was our aggression. Everyone made bold plays, which kept the gameplay tense and exciting. So I wonder if that will hold in other sessions, or if we just had one hell of a game.

I need a few more plays of both rule sets before I can rate this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick S.
United States
Laguna Niguel
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just think it's a more affectionate nickname than discoking. And my affectionate nickname for Raul might not be considered appropriate for a family site.

Since aggressive games are always more fun, maybe we could find a small incentive for winning battles. What if we brought in the idea of chaos from CotE 2 and gave a slightly reduced income to whoever has lost the most battles or something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramon Zarate
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mb
Can you destroy roads?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick S.
United States
Laguna Niguel
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that when you destroy a town, the road connections to that town are removed also.

*Update* I just looked on the Eagle Games Forum and I think we played it wrong:

"Q: Can you explain how Roads work? They aren’t the same as they were in the Milton Bradley edition.

A: That’s right, roads have changed a little. Basically, roads now cost a player to build and are not generally removed. The rules ( p. 5 ) are a bit confusing, so here’s a clearer discussion you can use:

'Roads serve as connectors between Cities (fortified or not). Roads may only be built between two Cities in adjacent provinces, owned by the same player, and have a Basic cost of 10 Talents, which increases with Inflation. Roads cannot connect Cities separated by sea zones or straights (e.g. Sicilia and Neapolis). Once roads are built, they are not removed from the board as long as they connect two cities (no matter how distant).

The advantage of using Roads is that it allows land units to travel – using only 1 movement point – any distance along a Road, stopping wherever desired or when enemy land combat units are encountered. A player may not end road movement in a province occupied by units of another player unless combat (or capture) results. A player may combine on- and off-Road movement for those units having sufficient movement points. For example, a Cavalry unit could move 1 space to get to a Road and then move any distance along that Road for the second movement point, or vice versa.'

We interpreted the original rules to mean that the cities are no longer connected after you destroy them, so the roads are gone. Also we played that you had to stop in another player's territory whereas the rules here seem to suggest you can use anyone's roads. This makes much more sense to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Brown
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yo Finnian the Fierce,

Your recent email sent me back to the rule book. The road issue is particularly troublesome since that is how we hamstrung you and forced you into the desperate gambit that won you the game. On page 9 of the rule book under Phase Four: Destroy Cities:

"Remove any roads that were connected to the destroyed city."

I don't think that it can be any clearer than that.

Also, the movement rule states that you must stop when you move into a space occupied by enemy land units: you can use other people's roads if they're unoccupied (though page 5 suggests that only the builder may use them, this seems silly).

Oh, and I think that it's OK to call Raul your Love Burrito on this site. I mean, we all love burritos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick S.
United States
Laguna Niguel
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am by no means an expert on the rules (only played two games), but this is what we have come to agree upon -

Roads are not destroyed with a city unless it no longer connects to a city further down the path:

A-----B-----C-----D

If B or C is destroyed, the roads stay. If either of the cities on the ends are destroyed, the roads to those cities go away. If B or C are gone, all the roads go away if either A or D is destroyed.

You can go along any road (even if built by another player) as long as you don't encounter anyone else.

Placing a boat on a straight DOES prevent movement across it.

Make sure to remember that a legion can only have a max of 7 troops. We overlooked that originally (not that it mattered) and tend to forget again after playing for 5 hours.

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick S.
United States
Laguna Niguel
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How did you game go?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Brown
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul,

As you stated above, influence will not stop movement, only enemy troops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.