BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Recommendations for Mixed Groups rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: recommendations [+] [View All]
Anthony Costello
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Alright, I have a bit of cash to burn and I'm looking ot pick up around 5 games to get my collection started. I would like some recommendations based on the following criteria

Myself:
Used to play Warhammer (Fantasy & 40K), loved it, got too expensive and time consuming

Play various tabletop RPGs (D&D, Exalted, Deadlands, etc) and video games

Can see myself enjoying games but never got into many because I *hate* Monopoly and that seems to be the only board game anyone has these days (and scrabble which is meh). I did play and very much enjoyed Iron Dragon a few times, might pick that one up.

Wife:
Likes D&D, Magic:the Gathering, etc and plays but could never, say, GM a game, just isn't interested in learning a ton of rules. Scrabble is a favorite here

Based on this I need 2-3 games that are fun to play with just 2 people. We regularly have various visitors who would likely be interested in some games. They generally fall into the same category as my wife. Intelligent people, able to understand fairly complex rule sets and whatnot but having to study text to play a game is not their thing.

If you guys can gimme another 2-3 good for 3-5 players and perhaps one more good for 5+ players as sometimes we have quite a few.

We have enjoyed playing Risk in the past but I tend to lose interest in the game before its over.

We're a pretty eclectic bunch as far as taste goes, from what I've read on the site the auction mechanic sounds like about the only thing I might hate in a game (but who knows, I've never actually tried it aside from Monotony...i mean Monopoly)

Oh yeh and ALL of us have a penchant for sword-and-sorcery type settings.

Thanks in advance for any good suggestions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I also used to play mostly scrabble. One difference is I avoided fantasy themes because my wife isn't into that at all (and other than LOTR, neither am I).

But if you want good games to play with your wife, that don't have a lot of rules, then I'd say that Samurai, Through the Desert, and San Juan are all winners. My wife and I play them a lot.

We also like Ingenious and Mystery Rummy: Jack the Ripper. These are much lighter, but still fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Thor Wagner
Canada
Scarborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
No one wants to mess with an irate aquatic rodent!! Angry Beavers Clan of Canada
badge
FIOR GO BAS
mbmbmbmbmb
Card games are always good for 3-5 people such as Hearts, Oh Hell, and if you have 4 people then Eucher is great. Boardgames such as TransAmerica and Wings of War. All very simple and easy to learn with some good re-playability. When I have a mixed group (wives+us guys) Gamees like Trivial Persuit DVD edition or Sceen it! Squabble and/or Slang Teasers are a crowd pleaser. Depends on the group of course and mine is mostly north Am guys married to Filippinas. The more recent the era of the game the better the ladies do.

JMHO of course.
T

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Cormier
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the geek. I'd suggest using the search bar above to search for the terms in your topic in the geeklist tab. You'll be amazed at how many wife/girlfriend 2-player lists there are as well as things like beer and pretzel wargames and party games.

Have fun.

Although it's a bit expensive you can check out Battlelore - people seem to be loving it as a 2-player fantasy battlegame.

Personally, me and my wife love Phoenix as a quick two-player game that's easy to teach others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Ma
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a new geek, but I've spent the last few months learning my way. My wife and I (and many, many others, I believe) got into gaming by playing Settlers of Catan. That's a good, social, gateway game.

From there, I/we quickly graduated to Puerto Rico (and its 2-player variant), followed by War of the Ring, Reef Encounter, Descent, Power Grid and Caylus. I've had great experiences with all of them, and for your group Descent and War of the Ring seem particularly suitable (although both of those games are loooong).

Though I haven't personally played any of the following, research and frequent poster recommendations for 2+ players, gateway and/or wife games always seem to turn up Lost Cities, Lord of the Rings, Lord of the Rings Confrontation, Carcassonne, Through the Desert and just about anything developed by Reiner Knizia from a particular 2-3 year period (Ra, Tigris & Euphrates, Samurai, Modern Art, etc.).

For fantasy recommendations, there's always a thread seeking a dungeon-crawl (read: D&D lite) recommendation. Those threads generally result in recommendations for Descent, World of Warcraft, Runebound, Arkham Horror, Shadows Over Camelot and Return of the Heroes, along with a few other harder to find games.

I hope I've thrown enough games at you. Follow up and look into some of these games on this site and you can't go wrong. Enjoy.

P.S., I grew up on D&D and I started out looking for fantasy-themed games, but I've found that I really enjoy some of the above Eurogames like Puerto Rico, Power Grid and Caylus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Turner
United Kingdom
Thornton
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two good games enjoyed by my female friends are Bohnanza (card game involving trading and planting beans) and Mystery of the Abbey (Cluedo type game that is actually clever and funny).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Costello
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Thanks for all of the responses guys. I'm gonna have to look through all of these and pick a few, oi! I never realized there were so many good games out there, I'm just familiar with the stuff you might expect to find at Toys R Us (Monotony, Clue, Trivial Pursuit, etc) none of which are very good imho.

Thanks for the reccomendations, I'll try to post back here in a week or two once I've picked some stuff up and played a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.