Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Scheiderich
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After having read the very nice posted files that GMT has, I managed to come away with two different interpretations on how to proceed in combat.

I will provide a single example and see if I have that correct. I am wrapping (slowly) my head around the idea that the lead (primary) Unit being fired upon can result in hits carrying to stronger/better Units "behind" them. I understand the PU choice is a player's decision in every battle where they have 2 Units engaged it juts seems strange...

Situation: No Assets, No Arty, No field works. No Disordered and all In Supply. Area TDN=1

Attackers: Germans with 2 pip Veteran Inf as PU followed by 3 pip Elite Armor.

Defenders: US 3 pip Green Inf as PU then a 1 pip Elite Armor.

Defender Ground Fire:

(1)US Green Inf vs. Ge Veteran Inf = -1 (TQ) SN = 4

3d10: "2" "4" "4" - so 3 hits (which I would never roll )!

(2) US Elite Armor vs. Ge Veteran Inf = +1 (TQ) +1 Armor SN =7

Rolls "8" a miss!

Apply 1 Step Loss to German Veteran Inf (no assets to sacrifice).

[NOTE: proper protocol has the US firing it's Armor (and it's battle asset tucked in at the bottom of this post) ALL at the SAME time]

Then here is where I sort of "lose" it:

First, The Germans could Abort the Attack flushing the other 2 hits and be Disordered. BUT what if they do not? Both sides are up against it - do or die time!

Rules read says apply 2nd hit to the non-PU unit (the 2 pip Elite Armor) and then the 3rd hit is "German player choice": they can lose a Unit saving some Elite strength and bring that Armor forward OR take a 2nd hit on his Elite Armor, keeping the Veteran Inf as the PU (at 1 Pip) which will then set the German GF SN at 5) The German player destroys the German Infantry thus making the German Elite Armor the PU.

The lucky US Green infantry not only destroys the German PU but scores on the Elite Armor as well. This is correct?

[Thus it's intentional that you may have the worse PU situation (Green vs. Veteran, in this case) but are lucky as hell,and the rear echelon unit, that may be way better, takes a beating as well...]

Attacker GF: the now 2 pip Elite German Armor fires at the Green US Infantry = +2 (TQ) +1 Armor -1 (TDN) so SN = 7 Rolling "5" and "4" and having 2 hits!

US has to stand its ground so Retreat is not an option. Apply hits: 1st to the US Green Inf (now 2 Pips) and second hit US Elite armor thus destroying the Armor unit. The hit application is consistent.

Battle results:

German Veteran Inf (2p) destroyed
German Elite Armor (3p) loses 1 pip

US Green Infantry (3p) loses 1 pip
US Elite Armor (1p) destroyed

Area is contested.

One last question: assuming the US had had a Veteran Inf Battle asset, it would have fired in defensive GF step at Veteran Inf vs. Veteran Inf (the German PU) at SN=5?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like your understanding is correct. First hit has to go to point unit, then to other units that haven't yet received damage in this combat round, then however you want. And yes, a veteran inf battle asset would have fired at SN of 5.

Note that if the German in your example had used their elite armor as the point unit, they would have taken only one hit, coming on a 2. It's often worth using a good point unit to limit hits and throwing in a battle asset to absorb damage so the elite doesn't get hit unless the defender is very lucky.

Note also that if the defender scores a hit with artillery, it goes to the point unit (or a battle asset); then the first hit from defending ground fire ALSO goes to the point unit (or a battle asset).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Phelps
United States
Canal Fulton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, keep in mind that this is an operational level game, not a tactical level game. The units are not just firing at the point unit, they are firing at all units and assets in the area. The point unit declaration is just a mechanic for determining TQ modifiers and hit allocation. You shouldn't think of them as being "out ahead" and everyone else in the "rear echelon". Remember each turn takes place over an entire day (2 days in the later turns).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Scheiderich
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Understand and agree!

It just struck me a bit odd and did not right off find any clarity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.