Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My mother in law actually asked me to bring games down to Florida for our family get together after Christmas -- 15 adults, all non-gamers but me, 8 kids that are between 9-14. The rest are tiny children.

One of my nephews really liked Ticket to Ride and was excited about my game collection. He is 11. The rest of the family could care less, I think. I believe he would be willing to play and learn some other games, so perhaps I could bring some two-player to try with him.

My other nephews have played Settlers of Catan, I know. Not sure what their interest level is, though.

I do have to pack a suitcase, we are flying. I am willing to take things out of boxes for better transport.

My ideas were:

Two Rooms and a Boom, rethemed to Detective and Jewel Thief (the theme of the original would not go over well, at all). Hopefully I can retheme it and make this work. Or should I just skip it? It seemed like a good activity for that many people.
Telestrations
Wits and Wagers
Codenames
Coup
Spyfall
Bohnanza? I have never actually played this but do own it.
Sushi Go

Should I bring any light Euros or other games? They need to be easily teachable and play lots of people. For instance, I enjoyed Dark Moon with my group but it might be too complex for non-gamers.

With all the little kids and the incredible amount of chaos, playing anything serious is mostly impossible.

Obviously, I love gaming and would do it all day and night if I could, but that sentiment isn't shared by the rest of the gang. So I try to restrain my enthusiasm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Telestrations and Wits and Wagers are both good ideas.

I would skip Bohnanza, especially given that you are not familiar with it, and the rule about not shifting your cards in your hand may prove awkward and frustrating. Archaeology: The Card Game is small, and might be worth taking. Battle Line, as a 2p game. Hive Pocket, if you think the nephew might be up for abstracts.

You don't have Heartland Hauling, I was going to suggest that for the TTR nephew, as it is small. He might like 10 Days in the..., though.

6 Nimmt or Slide 5 might work, or Pit if your family is the boisterous type.

If you made a quick paper board and left the real board at home, Can't Stop could be fun.

Incan Gold is a good group game with simple rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwill2 wrote:
Should I bring any light Euros or other games? They need to be easily teachable and play lots of people.
Browsing your collection, here are few that I find approachble by willing adults otherwise with low gaming familiarity.

Cartagena (especially favored for this)
Coloretto
For Sale
Maori

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Where in Florida?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarasota. I always make a trip to the Dark Side game store, they have an amazing selection of board games and a very friendly staff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwill2 wrote:
Sarasota. I always make a trip to the Dark Side game store, they have an amazing selection of board games and a very friendly staff.

Ah......sadly not near me. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caitlin Tracy
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Wits and Wagers! I brought it to my family's Thanksgiving (they could care less about games as well.) Everyone was very skeptical at first but they were having a great time after the first round.

We went with Wits & Wagers Party but thet have a family version that's even easier to understand!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try One Night Ultimate Werewolf or One Night Ultimate Vampire. They're both easy to learn and a blast to play with a big group that knows each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moray Grant
United Kingdom
Dyce
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would take wits and Wagers, Codenames and one deduction style game to cover different party genres and see what proves popular.

For the 11 year old how about Splendour? It plays well as a two player and if there is interest from others you can accommodate. As an added bonus you could remove the insert and take the other three games in the same box

edit: if you wanted one more slightly more gamer game Machi Koro takes almost no space when you bag it and would be a good fit for the Catan players. Still believe all of this could fit in the Splendour box (or just about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Seems like a good list to me. Maybe find a cheap copy of Pit too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave Snell
England
flag msg tools
mb
+1 One Night Ultimate Werewolf. Also, you could maybe start a row with Resistance: Avalon ?

I reckon you want games with a quick turnover and fast interaction to stop the group getting bored. For that, I would also strongly recommend Cockroach Poker, cos it's ace, and finding the rules for Skull and Roses to play with the same cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.