Subject: Best rulebook to learn the game from rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay W
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the various updated rulebooks (thanks Sal!) posted on this forum, what would be the best one for a complete newbie to use to learn the game;

1) Just reading through, without setting up the game

2) With the game set up to learn as you go?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I used the training scenario method as described in the playbook and highly recommend it.

You play a number of smaller scenarios adding relevant rules as you go along and before you know it you are ready for the main event.

Also, I used the rules out of the box but the newest update is probably best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I did the same as James for the first 2 training scenarios, then jumped right into the 1939 campaign. I dare say it is possible to start with the campaign though.

You can definitely read as you go (that is what I did), but if you did not play the training scenarios first, you are likely to make some mistakes the first couple of turns.

I hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fox
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Fear cannot be banished, but it can be calm and without panic; it can be mitigated by reason and evaluation.
badge
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it.
mbmbmbmbmb
The nice thing about following the training scenarios is that you end with a good feel for how the opening German invasions should look (if keeping with the historical timeline).

Once you are comfortable with the baseline, it becomes really easy to try to alter the opening strategy some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
badge
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
I started off with the training scenario. But what I found super helpful was following a playthrough video from this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfo2ZFvc5UE

It made the rules come to life and made me get into the game very quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.