Popular Tags: [View All]
Lawrence Gamehappy
United States
Concord
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Friends

I've played AA50 twice. Which version set up do you think is more fun? Perhaps more balanced? As I see it in 1942 Germany as traveled into Russia 5 territories deeper and is perhaps too strong?

Your thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
In the original A&A there was an age-old debate. Did the game favor the Axis or the Allies? Now, I personally think it favored the Allies but that the Axis had an early game advantage. (Hence it's a bit of both depending on one's POV.) The 1941 set-up caters to those who thought the initial Axis advantage made the game favor the Axis. The 1942 scenario exists for those who realize that the long-term advantage is to the Allies. Thus both groups are catered to by the anniversary edition. It's a brilliant design for which Larry Harris deserves due praise. It renders the OP's question though into: which camp are you in when that age old debate about the original game comes up? I'm in the latter group, although I understand the former's POV; I just think they're wrong. So I've played both scenarios but just prefer the 1942 set-up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See, I sort of felt the 1941 gave the Axis a better chance for an early victory (though I suppose it depends on which victory conditions you choose).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both several times and my opinion is that the Axis is so overwhelmingly strong in '41 that it can expand to conquer all of its starting territory in the '42 scenario without much difficulty.
And since it's more or less a given, I prefer to skip the expansion part and start with '42, when it gets interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Gamehappy
United States
Concord
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

It does show that Pearl Harbor did take place. Yet there is no Hawaiian Sea control by the Japanese at 1942 start up and one less carrier for the Japanese.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.