The Man
msg tools
A point rating would be great. I don't play 40K. If I put out all the minis from both sides, do we have balance, or is some balance from the fiddly Scenario conditions? I think the veteran 40kers will have a better feel than I do...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game has little to do with the 40K rules. I guess the sides as split in the game are balanced, depends on the scenario if it will unbalance a game or not, otherwise just play with full box contents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daniel, if you were a veteran 40K player, you would never go down this path. Points suck (the life out of games).

In general, tac squads and leaders balance each other. Leaving a Terminator squad balanced against the other Tactical squad, or the Dreadnought. Clever card selection also changes things. As does scenario set up placement and objectives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man
msg tools
I just want to know if say, the Marines are stronger, but Chaos gets a boost with Scenario conditions? I would like to have at each other, no objective but elimnination. So are they evenly matched?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cutthroat Cardboard (Barry)
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daniel I'd strongly suggest that if you haven't already you should play a reasonable number of games before trying to design a scenario. BaC is the kind of game you need to see in play before coming up with ideas that might be fun. On the plus side I think there's plenty of opportunity to produce interesting designs.

The tactical squads are effectively equal so if these make up the bulk of troops it will be easier to balance. With the terminators and dreadnought it's harder to say...

The cards have a major impact on the game and are materially different for both sides. Again you probably need a good understanding of their game effects before designing a scenario or they could easily break it.

It seems to me that movement is important in many of the scenarios and works to provide dificult decisions in respect of whether you should move or fight. This can significantly impact on the fighting power of one or both sides and needs to to taken into account in scenario design. It also produces scenarios that are more fun and less likely to need a dust pan and brush to remove all the toys from the table to get a result.

The maps, lines of sight, and choke points around or on the way to objectives also have a big impact and good positions are fun to try and spot.

I've been having a look at some of the old scenarios in 3rd edition 40K, the last one I played! They could be converted to BaC but a straight transfer over wouldn't be fun. Within slugfests like "cleanse", the basic scenario, I'd need to think carefully about maps and objective positions to require a good balance between movement and combat or I don't think it would work in this system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also try to keep at least a cursory eye on White Dwarf. They have published at least one new mission that I know of which bodes well for some positive changes at Games Workshop.

Now I just need Space Hulk Deathwing, Necromunda, and Blood Bowl to resurrect and I will be happier than a kid in a candy store!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenario 4 is illustrative of how the designers balance and unbalance forces. Both sides attack and defend on separate maps. One map with a Tac squad each. The other with Terminators vs a Tac squad. So, those are equal, except the attackers also get a character to give them the edge for the attack.

Tac squad= Terminators= Dreadnought is probably close. Although Termies with Combibolters are the bee's knees. And, the Dread is simply scary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.