Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander Rolfe
United States
Newberg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a fun game against my son last night. He used the Chapel to get his entire deck down to 3 cards (then bought a silver), and built a small, beautiful deck from there. I got rid of my coppers but never got that lean. But I did manage to build a deck with hardly any duplicates, so my Menageries really worked well. From there, I added duplicate Bridges, Bazaars, and other things that I could play to keep my Menageries working. I also had a Merchant Guild, which let me accumulate some coin tokens.

When Jonny was up to 11 cards in his deck, he played a good hand-- 14 to spend. Way to go, Jonny! He had a Chapel so he never worried about Curses from my two Torturers. Neither of us had any points.

On my turn, I decided it was time to drop the hammer. I played almost my entire deck, and with my 16 accumulated coin tokens, had 57 to spend. Four Bridges brought the prices down; one Merchant Guild gave me a rebate. I was limited by having only 12 buys, so I bought 8 Colonies, 2 Provinces, and 2 Duchies (and gave Jonny two Curses during my turn). So we went from tied to a one-hundred-point imbalance:

Jonny: -2
Daddy: 98

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Prescott
England
Wigan
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If Johnny was down to just three cards, one of which was presumably a chapel, how did he manage to buy a silver?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Brendel
United States
Dunwoody
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Small point of order: any coin tokens you spend must be spent before your first buy, which means the tokens you gain from Merchant Guild can't be spent until the next turn. But you had enough to clean out the Colonies anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Rolfe
United States
Newberg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He didn't chapel everything away immediately. He had a silver, a Bazaar, and used his chapel to get rid of whatever else he had that turn, then bought a silver.

If I remember right, he trashed his Salvager when he did it, which was an expensive change of strategy. tsk, tsk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Rolfe
United States
Newberg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, we did not realize that. Good to know. So not an instant rebate-- more like the kind where you have to fill out a form and wait for a check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.