Ian Cooper
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
INTRODUCTION

I came upon this game at a time when I was enthralled by card-driven war games like 'We the People' and 'Up Front' and by book games like 'Ace of Aces'. I was tired of boardgames whose rules required a PhD and the memory of an elephant. So I was looking for a simple card game that would give me the same level of realism and complex decision-making that the big boardgames gave me. Now I've never been much of a sports fan, so a card game based on cricket would not normally have retained my attention after my 'card games are the only way to play' frenzy wore off. Yet QUICKSingle has more than kept my attention - in fact, three years after I first heard of the game I still think it's one of the best games around.

But wait a minute - how could a card game make an interesting pursuit out of a slow-moving sport whose attraction is almost incomprehensible to those brought up outside of the countries of the British Commonwealth? I mean this is cricket we're talking about - English sport's answer to a 4-day long German Opera.

THE POSITIVES

Well firstly, the game progresses at about the pace of a real cricket game. But don't be alarmed, although cricket is regarded as a slow sport, even cricket proceeds at a much faster rate than most cardgames or boardgames, so even though it's as slow-paced as the game it simulates QUICKSingle is actually a pretty fast-paced card game. This is a distinct advantage for those of us who have been beaten down by the monster games of the past where 15 minutes of a battle could take upwards of two hours to play out on a game board.

Then there are the rules - about a page and a half if they were put onto a standard A4 page and extremely simple to understand. The game pretty much follows the style of a game like Whist or Uno - the players try to follow suit or match card values. There is nothing complex about this game in terms of remembering reams of charts or rule exceptions, yet like many Eurogames the game has a lot of beef in terms of the decisions to be made 'on the field' and it's here that the game really shines.

The genius of the game lies in the way cricket's most important facets are contained within the game's card format so that the mechanics are rendered nearly invisible and the players can enjoy the feel of the game. Also, it achieves its level of fidelity to the complex game of cricket without a board, without any chits or complicated scoring systems. The decisions you make as a QUICKSingle player are surprisingly similar to the decisions a bowler, a batsman or a cricket captain makes on the cricket field: in a real game of cricket the bowler has a strategy to get the batsman out, and it's the same in QUICKSingle - you decide whether to bowl to the leg side or the off side and you try to prevent runs and cut down the batsman's options. You can also force the batsman into a corner so that he's bowled out. As the batsman, you're called upon to react to the bowler's delivery while trying to find an opening in the field so that you can score, and you have to decide whether to play safe or go for runs. You also have to try to 'rotate the strike' just as in a real cricket match, and for similar reasons. As a fielder your speed at getting to the ball determines which batsman the bowler will face for the upcoming ball - sometimes when the batsman is desperate to change ends it's better for the fielding team to concede an extra run so that he'll have to face another ball.

THE NEGATIVES

Now there are some drawbacks to QUICKSingle, and as a reviewer I'd be failing in my duty if I didn't point them out.

The biggest problem is the four-player format. It's unwieldy and it can involve a lot of downtime for the batting players. Also, when played as a four-player game the decisions that the fielding player is called upon to make are not very challenging - you either catch the ball or you don't and the times when your decisions are more important are few and far between. I think this is the overwhelming reason why QUICKSingle has not been anywhere near as successful as I think it should have been. The fact is, this game is far better-suited to a 2-player format. When the batsmen are both played by the same player there is no downtime for the batting player. Similarly, with both bowling and fielding handled by one person the level of challenge is no longer unbalanced. I urge every player NOT to try the game with four players - it just doesn't work. The game is far better if players use the two player game rules or the alternate house rules (which can be found on this site)

Another problem is that in my opinion the standard game just doesn't cut it as a simulation. A lot of facets of the real game of cricket have been cut in the name of playability. The most glaring example is the length of the game - no real cricket innings lasts only ten overs, yet QUICKSingle has this as the default, and because of this the game is balanced so that batsmen last about one over. Fortunately, for those of us who want a more detailed simulation these drawbacks can be overcome by the use of some house rules governing game length and adjusting the chances of getting a batsman out. Two sets of house rules are included on this website for changing the basic cricket game of QUICKSingle into a realistic simulation of one-day cricket and test cricket. However, those who just want to get a feel for the game might want to stick with the standard rules.

CONCLUSION

Once the game's problems are dealt with, this game is a wonderfully simple game that really presents the player with a fun game that 'feels' like cricket. Basically, you can't go wrong with this game. If only it was still readily available. Sadly, prospective players will need to search on eBay for copies of the game, and they don't become available very frequently. Fortunately when they do they're usually inexpensive, as the game is so little-known that very few people know what a great game this is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
mbmbmbmbmb
This game sounds completely awesome. The hunt begins!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J G
msg tools
mb
This game sounds great - sadly very difficult to get hold of! Shame no rules available! I enjoy playing other cricket sims, like Pocket Test Cricket - but hard to find ones that actually allow a decent amount of overs and a realistic score - so your test rules also look intriguing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.