Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Glory to Rome» Forums » General

Subject: Brand new IV version rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan McHenry
msg tools
I just found my unopened Glory to Rome IV in my closet. I couldn't remember why we never played it until I did some googling and read that it was similar to Race to the Galaxy. I'll admit, I was too stupid to figure that game out, but that was early in my gaming life so maybe I'll be able to figure it out now. Do I even bother trying to tackle gtr if I can't figure out rttg?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
Shall I compare thee to a chevrolet?
badge
...the headlamps of your eyes will make them dream.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the most complex game you've played so far?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Weaver
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
fivebygames.com
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it's terrible and you'll never figure it out and even if you did you'd hate it.

Just mail it to me and I'll dispose of it so you don't have to think about it. whistle
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan McHenry
msg tools
Probably Puerto Rico
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan McHenry
msg tools
breakfastcore wrote:
No, it's terrible and you'll never figure it out and even if you did you'd hate it.

Just mail it to me and I'll dispose of it so you don't have to think about it. :whistle:

Lol
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
blosky2001 wrote:
Probably Puerto Rico

I've played GtR with people who haven't played anything more complex than Puerto Rico (and PR is a particularly good introduction to GtR). The first round is usually rough, but by the end of the game it flows quite easily.

Unlike RftG there isn't some monster body of icons confusing everything. You don't need to learn a new language to play GtR.

I suggest playing it two player the first time, that way there are fewer people who need to understand everything. Many people will say two player is not the ideal player count, which is quite possibly true, but it'll make it easier to understand, and I personally think it is still a great two player game.
7 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Weaver
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
fivebygames.com
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so concerned for your well being that I'll even pay the postage.

Seriously though, if you can play Puerto Rico, you should be able to play GtR with no problem.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan McHenry
msg tools
breakfastcore wrote:
I'm so concerned for your well being that I'll even pay the postage.:p

Seriously though, if you can play Puerto Rico, you should be able to play GtR with no problem.

Thanks. Normally I would just dive in and give it a try , but the fact that it's unopened made me hesitant, because I know someone else would appreciate that.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
blosky2001 wrote:
breakfastcore wrote:
I'm so concerned for your well being that I'll even pay the postage.

Seriously though, if you can play Puerto Rico, you should be able to play GtR with no problem.

Thanks. Normally I would just dive in and give it a try , but the fact that it's unopened made me hesitant, because I know someone else would appreciate that.

I well understand your point however it's in such demand I suspect unwrapping it and giving it a try or two won't tremendously affect its trade/sale value.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Seater
United States
Ashland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I help designers improve their games.
badge
Feed me...games...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
blosky2001 wrote:
I just found my unopened Glory to Rome IV in my closet. I couldn't remember why we never played it until I did some googling and read that it was similar to Race to the Galaxy. I'll admit, I was too stupid to figure that game out, but that was early in my gaming life so maybe I'll be able to figure it out now. Do I even bother trying to tackle gtr if I can't figure out rttg?

The games are of similar complexity, but RftG is much more opaque for new players because of the iconography. Learning to play GtR is much easier, although internalizing it to play well takes time. You should give it a try before trading it away, since the game is hard to get a hold of.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EXTRA AVOCADO! Sonderegger
United States
Folsom
CA
flag msg tools
designer
Shall I compare thee to a chevrolet?
badge
...the headlamps of your eyes will make them dream.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rseater wrote:
Learning to play GtR is much easier, although internalizing it to play well takes time. You should give it a try before trading it away, since the game is hard to get a hold of.


While I've personally found the exact opposite to be true, due to the more complex interplay of rules and card utility, anecdotal evidence on both sides leads me to believe that they each have their own unique stumbling blocks, but are at approximate difficulty parity.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chearns wrote:

I suggest playing it two player the first time, that way there are fewer people who need to understand everything. Many people will say two player is not the ideal player count, which is quite possibly true, but it'll make it easier to understand, and I personally think it is still a great two player game.


I will second that it's great with two, and a good way to learn. If you're concerned about the complexity while teaching, something I've tried with great success is to ignore the building's abilities for the first game. Just get the hang of how to play cards and the lead/follow system. Much of the game's difficulty (and brilliance!) comes from the crazy and potentially extremely powerful interactions on the buildings.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vapix
msg tools
mbmbmb
GtR has a number of unusual characteristics which make it "unintuitive" for a while (how long depends on how many of these unusual features you've seen in other games). IMO the "startup threshold" is a bit lower than RftG, because unlike RftG it's quite fun to play GtR badly.

I could explain a little more, but it's not clear from your posts if that's what you want.

If your real question is "will I enjoy it?" we need more information, starting with a list of games (or classes of games) you play and enjoy, and another of games you don't enjoy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
blosky2001 wrote:
I just found my unopened Glory to Rome IV in my closet. I couldn't remember why we never played it until I did some googling and read that it was similar to Race to the Galaxy.


I don't think the two games are similar at all. Glory to Rome (I.V version) is an awesomely fun game and RftG is a little less fun then a kick to the crotch.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hanibalicious wrote:
rseater wrote:
Learning to play GtR is much easier, although internalizing it to play well takes time. You should give it a try before trading it away, since the game is hard to get a hold of.


While I've personally found the exact opposite to be true, due to the more complex interplay of rules and card utility, anecdotal evidence on both sides leads me to believe that they each have their own unique stumbling blocks, but are at approximate difficulty parity.


I found Race an easy game to learn and teach, but Glory takes a bit longer for new players to grasp.

Both are fun games but Race sees much more play.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Young
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GtR is a great game, but can be a serious pain in the arse if you play with a group of highly seasoned fanatics (like I do). For example, these guys all know better than to lead at inappropriate times, thereby allowing others to take desirable clients into their clientele, or materials into their stockpile. Whenever we play, the pool is always sparce (if it not non-existent).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.