Subject: encounter cards during the vilan phase? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johan Brattstrom
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hi I have a question. In some senarios it states draw an encounter card at the begining of every heroes vilan phase. What happens in those senarios that does not say that? Do you not draw encounters at all when the villan is found each continuing round or do you have to continue to explore to not draw encounter cards? The later does not seem to make thematic sence. You want to explore so that you do not have to encounter bad stuff except monsters but it feels strange to explore when you found the villan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dursch
United States
Farmersville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that in some scenarios the arrows on the board have different effects or you might not use a normal batch of white/black arrows since the board can be set up in advance. I can't recall off the top of my head though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After the objective tile is found, you still draw Encounter cards. It ratchets up the difficulty, since you usually have some end-boss to fight too. If you really don't want to draw the cards, keep exploring.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless a scenario specifically says differently then you draw an encounter card every turn you don't explore. It helps to have xp saved up once you meet the boss so you can cancel the nastier encounters that come up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Brattstrom
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah_Pook wrote:
Unless a scenario specifically says differently then you draw an encounter card every turn you don't explore.
Unless of course you "forget". That's happened in all the excitement of the boss showing up. Most people remember to do this though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferry Van der schans
Netherlands
Ridderkerk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As I understand it the encounter cards are mechanicly a timer/countdown for the scenario. Thematicly it represents the Castle and the dangers within to work against you because... Castle Ravenloft is a scary place.
Even when the Villain/Boss is found, the timer/countdown continues and the Castle will give you no time to rest and deal with the Villain/Boss.

There is even a scenario (Adventure 2: Icon of Ravenloft) where you are required to draw an encounter no matter what (when you have found the Chapel). And this means you must draw one and additional encounter when not exploring, accelerating the Timer. Thematicly the Castle "knows" you are there and you want to steal the Icon and therefore it is trying to stop you.

One sidenote. Thematicly something has been strange to me when playing the game. Whenever you complete the goal of the adventure, the game ends...
When visualising this it seems odd to me. In the middle of the dungeon a quest is completed or Villain is defeated but does the Castle just give up? Do all creatures dissapear? I would think the party would not be safe untill they reached the exit... Maybe when Count Strahd was defeated the Castle would grow silent. But in any other case the Castle could still kill them, right?... Well, maybe that is just me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That last point never bothered me. Lots of games end on the climax of you achieving your goals (or having died trying!). Trying to escape the castle as well would just extend the game time with relatively little narrative payoff (We killed the BBEG but died to a random trap while leaving the castle. Yay?).

It would also be difficult to make it work mechanically. Bearing in mind that you can use both actions to move 10+ squares, escaping the monsters and making a beeline for the exit isn't going to be hard in almost all cases. Which isn't to say that the game couldn't have been designed to require you to escape as well - but it would have needed a relatively major change to the mechanics to make the escape just as exciting as the confrontation with the big bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jokemeister wrote:
make the escape just as exciting as the confrontation with the big bad.
Narratively, the exciting and fun part of a quest is always killing the big bad guy. There's usually not much fun in running away (unless the castle is collapsing behind you? eg. Return of the Jedi?) so to make this board game simpler and easier, and not to piss off anyone who "won" but still died (random trap, lucky arrow shot, ongoing poison, random damage from an encounter card, et al) they had to end it when the fun part was over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferry Van der schans
Netherlands
Ridderkerk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
While I can see the climax is the bossfight, I still think after the kill the game falls a bit flat (I am imagining the Dwarf and the Ranger looking at the dead Fleshgolem while there are 2 Spiders and a Kobold in the room, then one asks the other: "Ok... now what?". "I don't know, I guess we win?" ).

The end is a bit abrupt for my taste.
Also because in 9 out of 10 adventures you do not kill the master of the Castle. Why would he just let you go after you just have smited his devious plans? Thematicly he should want to kill you even more...
It just seems to me the story is not done after the last fight.
The game could have had a timer-acceleration after the goal was met, like mentioned above.

But this of personal taste.

Sorry for going off topic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Rigoli
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I realize this thread is over a year old, but I just got this game. I just played Adventure 2 by myself controlling 2 heroes, the Ranger and Cleric. I played with the following variations: I only drew one Encounter card each villain phase after I found the Icon, and then after killing the three monsters in the Chapel, I had to make both heroes escape with the Icon. Escaping was more difficult than you might think, what with a trail of monsters that I left behind getting to the Chapel, but maybe not as difficult as drawing 2 Encounter cards while fighting 3 monsters. It was way more fun, though. After my Ranger happily ran 6 steps back towards the door, the Encounter I drew was the one that teleports you to the farthest tile away from you! Then she was Slowed for a turn. The Cleric was sitting on the Start tile waiting for her by this time, although he had already used the first Healing Surge. I ended up using both of them just trying to escape. I barely got out alive, it was quite exciting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.