Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And, in spite of my fondness for the Xbox 360 system, I have to say it looked horrible.

This isn't some BGG purist speaking either - I've logged over 112 hours in Oblivion alone (never mind Gears of War ). I was ecstatic that Settlers was coming to XBLA. It's hard enough for me to find 3 people to game with in a week, let alone to feed my Catan bug on a whim, so I was on cloud nine back in august when it was announced.

Anyhow, here's some video:

http://www.gamevideos.com/ (search "Catan" when page loads - can't link directly due to the javascript).

Christ, I just ran an (admittedly buggy) session of Xplorers Online over at Asobrain that looked and played better.

So, what do you guys think? Waiting with baited breath or holding back the vomit?

(ps: they're adapting Carcassonne as well, but I'm of the opinion that just can't translate off the cardboard).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keck
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: So, my I just watched Catan on Xbox Live Arcade...
I just checked out that video, and I'm not sure what you're talking about. It looked fine to me. ???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Weintraub
United States
Commack
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Lock him up!
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't got a 360, though I have played on one (and love GoW, btw). Yeah, this doesn't look so hot. Not sure it looks better than the asobrain version, but it clearly could look a LOT better than it does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erick Sais
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With a game like catan on the xbox I hope it has an egg timer. I can see this game dragging on. Sometimes UNO even slows down cause player are busy doing things instead of paying attention the game. But I'm still looking forward to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheKeck wrote:
I just checked out that video, and I'm not sure what you're talking about. It looked fine to me. ???

I guess we have different tastes in visual aesthetics. Hell, the traditional board variant (Mayfair edition) looks better than this XBLA version. I'm amazed, it even elicits even more of a two dimensionality in visual feel than the PC edition (Catan Online, I mean).

I guess it looks better than pong, but Warbanner said it best - "it clearly could look a LOT better." I'm not asking for Unreal 3 graphics, nor did I expect them to reinvent the wheel with terrain three dimensionality, however I did hope it wouldn't look plain and uninspired.

Oh well.. At least the music can be replaced (otherwise that would have formed a solid chunk of my rant ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keck
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
TheKeck wrote:

I guess we have different tastes in visual aesthetics.

I guess so. I mean, we're talking about a port of a board game for Xbox live arcade; this is pretty much exactly what I was expecting. Oh well. I wouldn't get it anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Slater
United Kingdom
Newport
Newport, South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cant view the video in work, but here:

http://www.criticalgamers.com/archives/board-games/xbox_live...

are some leeked screenshots of all 3 Euros that are due on Live.
Catan, Carcassone & Alhambra.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin N
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just watched that video you linked to, and yeah, I agree that it does look somewhat 'plain'. BUT, have you seen any of the other screenshots, like the ones here (scroll up):

http://www.xboxyde.com/news_3970_en.html#forum

It seems there is another, '3D' tileset that you can use, that looks quite a bit prettier.

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chrees M
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as the game plays well and the AI works, does it matter if it doesn't look 'great'? I mean i've seen plenty of board-games in my time that looked dire, but were fun to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blub
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Anyone know the story on this? It was first supposed to be released in February. Now February has come and gone. Is there a new release date?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blublub wrote:
Anyone know the story on this? It was first supposed to be released in February. Now February has come and gone. Is there a new release date?

February was a rumor. Microsoft doesn't give advanced notice on when their products will hit via XBLA (well, nothing more than a few days). It'll be sometime in 2007, but we'll have to wait.

Incidentally, as the thread starter, let me say my perception is 100% reversed from when I posted this. Based on information and videos I've watched subsequently, I'm very excited and will make it a day one purchase (probably my last unless something amazing comes on the horizon for XBLA).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erick Sais
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/850/850004/img_4292932.ht...

Here's a link to a 3d pic of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.