Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry Baxter
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a dad of four young children just starting to read and reach 'gaming age' I've been trying out various light games a few years below recommended during our family game night. Tonight's turn was Ticket to Ride Europe.

Players: Dad with 6-yr old boy, Mom with 5-yr old who loves trains, 8-yr old girl, 7-yr old boy. As it was everyone's first game I started with a simplified game to teach the overall mechanics and to gauge the level of interest. We each took one long route and left out the 'Europe' features of ferries, tunnels, stations. The map being Europe instead of familiar USA was stretching them far enough

Overall we all got pretty easily the idea of drawing cards and laying down sets to place trains. It was a very close game, with the two 20-pt routes ending within a turn of each other, and the 21-pt route just one turn short of finishing.

How did it work for the different children?
- 8yo girl - Really enjoyed it, was able to play quickly, understood you didn't need to finish the route in order, and benefit of wild locomotives. I would expect she would pick up the full rules next time and enjoy it quite a bit.
- 7yo boy - Too busy playing with the trains during the first few rounds he seemed out of it. Suddenly midgame something clicked when he connected that we were drawing cards for a purpose, and pulling a fourth needed white for a route got him all excited. Once he got it, he focused and enjoyed it a lot more, collecting cards, making a set, and laying down the trains. Had we been scoring he would have loved being the official counter.
- 6yo boy - Also loved playing with the trains, but was the most delighted out of any of them when it came time to turn in cards for trains. (Possibly my saying 'tickets please!' and 'thank you Sir!' helped a lot) Putting him as part of a team was the right call for sure.
- 5yo boy - We would make various train noises during the game, and he enjoyed naming the colors and counting the train pieces as they were laid down. As a train lover he had a lot more fun with TtRE than Transamerica (rail too abstract for him).
- Mom - oops, she's not a child! She was bummed we weren't going to use the new Europe rules (we've played regular Ticket to Ride before) and maintains (too) high expectations of how still young boys can sit Other than that she enjoyed it and looks forward to playing again (as a light hybrid euro-ameri-gamer, this is right up her alley)
- Dad - I'm glad to see the game met my hopes, the kids enjoyed it with reduced rules and I'll be able to add news rules and challenges with the game as they are ready for it. This should help the game night budget compared to buying a bunch of 'kiddie' games that will last only a short time. I also know this will be a good gateway games for friends of ours that come over to visit from time to time.

The evening of trains and gulo eggs (Gulo Gulo) was a success tonight for our family

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Felice
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a dad of 4, I've done similar things with my 2 older kids (the 2 younger are 3 and 1, so they're stil just a tad young to play. we tried to let the 3 year old play, but he ran off after 5 minues).

Anyway, we usually just take 2 or 3 of the shorter route cards and end the game when everyone's finished their routes. Yeah, it gives a bit of an advantage to whoever has the longest route cards but we can just "assign" route cards that add up to the same length, and the game usually ends pretty close.

My 2 older boys really enjoy the game, but I think they like Carcassonne more (I got TtR:E and Carc at the same time last year). With that one, we just leave out the farmers and they do fine.

Good to hear other parents of young children getting their kids started gaming early. I can't wait until mine get just a few years older so we can get them all involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.