Popular Tags: [View All]
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

TECH? NO!
Forget about expensive game systems, emulators, disconnected online games, and high-priced yearly roster updates. TECHNO BOWL takes everything you love about arcade and video game football classics like Tecmo Bowl, NFL Blitz, and Madden and puts it all on the tabletop.

1UP
And as if that isn’t cool enough, it also gives you a feature that gamers have long asked for but never gotten… until now! What is it you ask? As a coach in TECHNO BOWL, you will design your own formations and plays. That’s right. Let me say it again. You get to design your own formations and plays.

And I’m not talking about choosing several formation cards, lining up elements on a chart, or utilizing some other abstraction. This is putting the power to effortlessly create real football formations and plays into your hands.

ZERO DOWN TIME
Thanks to the BOX SPORTS ENGINE, there is almost zero down time in the game [except for half time and timeouts of course!]. Coaches are constantly involved, and the on-field players are always interacting with one another as skill checks and ever evolving plays result in: free actions, reactions, read-and-reacts, and offensive and defensive adjustments. Add to that real world timers for setting up formations and selecting plays, and you have a truly dynamic fast-paced tabletop football experience.

UNPARALLELED FOOTBALL GAMEPLAY
TECHNO BOWL delivers that authentic football feel like no game before it. Establish the running game by punching it in between the tackles or tossing it to a back for an outside sweep. Launch an air offensive while sitting in the pocket or throwing on the run with laser accurate throws directly to the receiver or exciting route passes where you lead the receiver in hopes of beating the coverage. Defense can run man, zone, and mixed defensive packages and bring the blitz. Oh, can it bring the blitz!

No matter which strategy you choose, the gameplay will look, feel, and flow like a real football play.

OPTIONS
TECHNO BOWL is all about options, and there’s a game mode, team, and play style for everyone. You even have the option to run an option!

MODES
There are five different modes of play. Each of these brings a different experience to the table.

- TECHNO is 7-vs-7 with no skills and no field goals.
- ALL TECHNO is 7-vs-7 with skills but no field goals.
- INFERNO! It’s ALL TECHNO with more awesome and fire! [more later]
- PRO is 8-vs-8 with no skills but includes field goal rules.
- ALL PRO is 8-vs-8 with skills and field goal rules.

Each of these modes offers a completely different game experience, and I know what you’re thinking. How does adding an extra couple of players to the field [and the ability to kick field goals] equate with an entirely different mode? Trust me. Having that extra player on both sides of the ball quite literally changes everything.

MAD SKILLS
When playing in modes that utilize special skills and abilities, coaches will have access to three types of players:

- IMPACT
- STAR
- SUPERSTAR

These players will come equipped with one or more of the 26 skills found in the game. That count of 26 skills doesn’t even include core fundamentals or INFERNO MODE specific skills.

SKILL
Speaking of skills, TECHNO BOWL is a game of skill and not a random ‘dice fest’. The 2d6 rolls used for skill checks mean that coaches won’t fall prey to straight-line probabilities or random chaos. Winning is about getting the right match and modifiers to deliver a high percentage roll, having a plan when you get an unusually poor result, and knowing the right time to make a high risk roll for a shot at a very high payoff. Of course, your formations, play calling, and player positioning create these opportunities.

PLAYMAKER DIE
The PLAYMAKER die powers some of the special skills in the game like stiff arms and spin moves allowing for sophisticated passive abilities to be triggered without the need for complex rules.

TEAMS
There are 32 teams in the MORE FUN LEAGUE [MFL], and each of these has its own unique play style. This means that you’re not just trying to get into the head of the coach that’s sitting across the table from you, but that you have to take into consideration the strengths and weaknesses of the players on the specific rosters that you and your opponent are using.

PLAYER SKILL RATINGS
The player skill rating system ensures that coaches and spectators will know how well or poorly a player performs fundamental actions by simply looking at the jersey number! No need to look at charts or extended stat lines. The league skill cap manages team composition so that you are never taxed to remember an insane number of special abilities or which players have them. Coaches get beaten by other coaches and NOT the rules.

MORE FUN TO COME!
That’s just a quick little taste of what’s to come. Over the next several weeks, I will be constantly updating you with art, information, prototypes, talking about my design process, and answering your questions about the game. There may even be a live gameplay video broadcast in the mix [download Periscope now!].

Welcome to the More Fun League!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So this game is a 7 on 7 situation .. but you're able to run between the tackles? Color me intrigued, but confused.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raoul H.
msg tools
Everything about this game sounds intriguing indeed!

Will be following closely.

Are there plans for official miniatures or a box with counters or something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Played the heck out of this on my GameBoy. Have lots of other tabletop football games.

Let's see if you really can make it more fun... (here's hoping you do!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Apharon wrote:
cool

Apharon wrote:
No official miniatures on this project. There are a ton players! I am going to be offering two official options on release though.

The first option is the standard tokens that will come in the box. This is an image of the prototype tokens [that I just received today!]. The final tokens will obviously be a much higher quality.

The second option is a set of print-and-play files that can be used to pimp out the game and create these awesome 'player blocks'. I hope to have an image of these up on the thread sometime this weekend. It doesn't sound like it, but these are seriously cool!! They also really drive home the pixel theme of the game.

Don't let me forget to post these!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
govmiller wrote:
Played the heck out of this on my GameBoy. Have lots of other tabletop football games.
This game was designed for you! Well, you and a few other people.

govmiller wrote:
Let's see if you really can make it more fun... (here's hoping you do!)
That's the plan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sigtaulefty wrote:
So this game is a 7 on 7 situation .. but you're able to run between the tackles? Color me intrigued, but confused.
Alright, let's tackle this one. [tackle... get it?!shake]

Any player can perform any of the fundamental actions in the game. These are things like blocking, throwing a pass, or attempting a tackle. Based on skill ratings, some players will obviously be better at some actions than others, but there are no fixed player positions in the game. This gives coaches the ultimate in freedom and creativity when setting up formations and calling plays.

What's interesting is that everyone who plays the game uses the positional terms when describing the action on the field. This includes everyone from the blind playtesters to myself. So, terms like tackle and guard are typically used to describe the players currently acting as your linemen depending on what your formation looks like. That said, you can definitely run a set where you have a two 'true' tackles when playing 8-vs-8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raoul H.
msg tools
voodooink wrote:

No official miniatures on this project.
Aha, so there might be another related project?
Now I'm excited to see what that could be.

Btw, the pixel player tokens are just lovely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
voodooink wrote:
sigtaulefty wrote:
Alright, let's tackle this one. [tackle... get it?!shake]

Any player can perform any of the fundamental actions in the game. These are things like blocking, throwing a pass, or attempting a tackle. Based on skill ratings, some players will obviously be better at some actions than others, but there are no fixed player positions in the game. This gives coaches the ultimate in freedom and creativity when setting up formations and calling plays.

What's interesting is that everyone who plays the game uses the positional terms when describing the action on the field. This includes everyone from the blind playtesters to myself. So, terms like tackle and guard are typically used to describe the players currently acting as your linemen depending on what your formation looks like. That said, you can definitely run a set where you have a two 'true' tackles when playing 8-vs-8.
Sounds like it's set up more like a flag football game then (and that's cool). I'll still be following this with interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Apharon wrote:
Aha, so there might be another related project?
Now I'm excited to see what that could be.

Btw, the pixel player tokens are just lovely.
There may just be some other plans, and glad you like the tokens. I think the pixel players turned out great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, before talking about mechanics and gameplay, let me introduce you to one of the MFL teams. The...

KITTENS

Don't let the name or cute [but slightly sinister?] logo fool you. The KITTENS are nothing to yarn yawn at! They sport one of the most impressive running games in the league thanks to their superstar running back. Interestingly enough, he wasn't drafted for his running ability but due to his name meshing perfectly with the team image and marketing plan.

#7 Harry Danders | Superstar running back with the juke, squeeze play, and stiff arm skills.

#44 Gavin Lover | Impact linemen with the team player skill. He makes everyone around him better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have my attention...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks great.

If you haven't checked out Brent's miniature game rulesets before, his designs tend to be very unique and always contain a strong identity. Really looking forward to this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
You have my attention...
cool

charlest wrote:
This looks great.

If you haven't checked out Brent's miniature game rulesets before, his designs tend to be very unique and always contain a strong identity. Really looking forward to this.
Thanks Charles!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a little love for the papercrafters and those that like to pimp their games out.

These are some shots of the print-and-play pixel player block overlays. These can be printed out and attached to .75 x .75 inch wooden or plastic blocks that can be purchased at any hobby store. The PDF files for each team are layered to allow users to select alternate top colors for jerseys. This gives you home/away options and alternate colors when teams have a similar primary color. It's a cheap fun way to upgrade your game. It's not miniatures, but it's close.

The files are also set-up for Craft ROBO and Silhouette hobby printers. This means that craft printers will cut the pixel players out for you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Hale
United States
Roswell
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Meisterjäger
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that's so awesome looking. Hey, put some air in that football it looks a little flat on one side
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wolvehunde wrote:
Wow, that's so awesome looking. Hey, put some air in that football it looks a little flat on one side
Tom Brady checked it himself, and he said it's just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Hale
United States
Roswell
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Meisterjäger
mbmbmbmbmb
Game looks like its going to be a blast to play, but I think # 33 needs to be tested for steroids. he has that weird look in his eye.

And is this going to be hard core grid iron football? I don't see any refs on the sidelines. .. ah come on man, we need cheerleaders on the sidelines with big square cubes whistle

sorry, I couldn't help it, It is bad humor day.lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wolvehunde wrote:
Game looks like its going to be a blast to play, but I think # 33 needs to be tested for steroids. he has that weird look in his eye.
No need to test him. Most players in the league are on pixel enhancing drugs [PEDs]. As long as you don't exceed 16 bits, it's not against the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Hale
United States
Roswell
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Meisterjäger
mbmbmbmbmb
voodooink wrote:
wolvehunde wrote:
No need to test him. Most players in the league are on pixel enhancing drugs [PEDs]. As long as you don't exceed 16 bits, it's not against the rules.
good one laugh made me laugh, lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
voodooink wrote:
wolvehunde wrote:
No plans for a super techmo bowl expansion I suppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sigtaulefty wrote:
If everything goes to plan, there will be no need for an expansion [not a classic football expansion anyway].

Plus, I don't think it would be a good plan to both super and bowl together in any game title! You-know-who probably wouldn't approve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Nebesnik
United States
Bloomville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
voodooink wrote:
Apharon wrote:
:cool:

Apharon wrote:
No official miniatures on this project. There are a ton players! I am going to be offering two official options on release though.

The first option is the standard tokens that will come in the box. This is an image of the prototype tokens [that I just received today!]. The final tokens will obviously be a much higher quality.

The second option is a set of print-and-play files that can be used to pimp out the game and create these awesome 'player blocks'. I hope to have an image of these up on the thread sometime this weekend. It doesn't sound like it, but these are seriously cool!! They also really drive home the pixel theme of the game.
Don't let me forget to post these!:p
Could be a marketing mistake having a Bengals player so visible. Might turn some folks off ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gen1400 wrote:
Could be a marketing mistake having a Bengals player so visible. Might turn some folks off
No Bengals players are featured in that photo my friend! This is the MFL. There is a team with orange and black colors, but it's definitely not the Bengals.

Just wait for the helmet and logo reveal on that team!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Hale
United States
Roswell
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Meisterjäger
mbmbmbmbmb
voodooink wrote:
sigtaulefty wrote:
If everything goes to plan, there will be no need for an expansion [not a classic football expansion anyway].

Plus, I don't think it would be a good plan to both super and bowl together in any game title! You-know-who probably wouldn't approve.

Doesn't Marvel own the trademark for the word "Super" ?

25.4mm x 25.4mm hut hut !!!......... pass that square pigskin to me.......

#51 was off sides... Convex Foul....5 yards....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [51] |