8 Posts

Istanbul» Forums » General

Subject: Are the markets overpowered? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
VJKRGN KL
Malaysia
flag msg tools
I get a feeling that the markets (large and small) give away too much money for the goods that we sell. Can understand if we need to sell ALL goods shown in the market cards (like contracts in Marco Polo) but here even if you were to sell to or three goods listed, you still get a lot of money to get you rubies.

Buy wheelbarrow storage. Max up your goods. Sell them in large market. Get rubies from Gemstone dealer. There are not enough deterrents from this approach. The merchant encounter cost of 2 Lira is virtually nothing.

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At one point in time or another, I think just about every tile has been accused of being OP in the forums. The game is balanced once you start randomizing the tile setups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there may be a bit of a problem with the starter setup because it is an easy loop between the small market, the spice(?) warehouse, the tea house and the gem dealer. But I other setups I haven't found this to be an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VJKRGN KL
Malaysia
flag msg tools
I've played three times so far - twice on base game and one on mocha expansion. Except first game, played on randomised riles. Let me play more set ups and see if this continues to be the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arjun Sukumaran
India
Chennai
Tamil Nadu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Istanbul just under 20 times, and I haven't seen a single dominant strategy - you have to do a bit of everything, really, and adjust to the board state when planning what to do next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VJKRGN KL
Malaysia
flag msg tools
alpha1156 wrote:
I've played Istanbul just under 20 times, and I haven't seen a single dominant strategy - you have to do a bit of everything, really, and adjust to the board state when planning what to do next.

Great to know. Were they 2-player games or 3/4 player games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
vjkrgn wrote:
Buy wheelbarrow storage. Max up your goods. Sell them in large market. Get rubies from Gemstone dealer. There are not enough deterrents from this approach.

That works wonderfully, except that the person who takes the goods straight to the Sultan's Palace instead of selling them and buying rubies with the cash can save an action. And some pesky player's going to find a way to earn rubies while you're busy upgrading your wheelbarrow.

...or maybe not. It's all quite layout-dependent. So there's good replayability, and considerable skill to finding the engine that'll work well in any given game.

And even if what you describe is the best strategy, it might not be if another merchant is already following it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Grabiner
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vjkrgn wrote:
I get a feeling that the markets (large and small) give away too much money for the goods that we sell. Can understand if we need to sell ALL goods shown in the market cards (like contracts in Marco Polo) but here even if you were to sell to or three goods listed, you still get a lot of money to get you rubies.

Selling three goods isn't that attractive. In the Small Market, you can sell three goods for 9 lire; in the Tea House and often the Caravansary, you can average about 5 lire without losing any goods. It's rare to sell three goods except just before ending the game, when you may have goods you can't use.

Selling five goods in either market is a good deal, but it requires planning and an extra turn to use the money. Giving the right five goods to the Sultan's Palace and then going to the Tea House will give you about the same amount of money as selling the right five goods at the Small Market and then buying a ruby at the Gemstone Dealer.

Quote:
Buy wheelbarrow storage. Max up your goods. Sell them in large market.

This will not work because the Large Market needs blue goods, and enlarging your wheelbarrow doesn't help much with this. Two turns at the Black Market are likely to get you four goods, two of them blue, and then you can sell those four for 18 lire, but that's three actions.

25 lire at the Large Market does become a powerful action when you can get the goods you need, but this requires planning, as do most other options. For the Large Market, this usually means using either the green mosque tile to get several blues at warehouses, or the red mosque tile and then two visits to the Black Market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.