Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Ballinger
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My son, William, and I decided to try out a two player game of Antike, each of us taking one nation. This played quite well and we thought this way, while not perfect, was pointed in the right direction for a settled two player variant.

We played the English language map, western side. Phasis, Melitene, Antiochia, Tyros, Memphis, and Theben were in play. Anything further east wasn't. We did leave the board folded out so we could have the Rondel and the tracks.

Using Mac Gerdt's December 29, 2006 posting as a guide, we set out 8 scholars, 5 kings, 4 citizens, 3 generals, 2 navigators, and spent 2 iron for each unit. We also scaled down the tech costs to 5/3 and 7/5. (Yes, 7. I misread it. See the results!)

We decide to play as the Greeks versus the Egyptians. I started the Greeks in Athen, Pella and Dyrrhachion. William began the Egyptians in Theben, Ammonion and Cyrene.

William's last game was a victory over 3 others as Phoenicia, playing a gold/tech strategy, so that was his strategy today too. I built a few units and expanded, primarily south to grab Sparta and Knossos, with an infantry heading north. William grabbed Market and Monarchy early, then eventually Wheel for 3 quick scholars. I followed his tech at a discount, got two fast kings and built two temples, one in Athens that really started pumping gold for me.

Next, I jumped on the Sailing tech, and 3 of the four second tier techs, grabbing 4 scholars. William snagged the last one, built out to 10 cities and funded 6 temples. I finished out to 15 cities and started arming.

Neither of us struck at the other until the map was filled in. William came the closest, building navy units in Cyrene, but I parked a navy in Knossos and had reserves, so any city conquest would not happen there.

Soon enough, though, the map was full. All of the technologies were achieved and we had no reason to collect gold. William finished 11 cities and built temples in each, so had 4 scholars, 2 kings and 3 citizens. I had 16 cities for 3 kings, 4 scholars, one citizen and a navigator. William had no chance at navigator, nor another citizen nor another king unless he took a city, so he started grabbing iron. I could have built another 3 temples or could sack one city for my last card, so I armed up too.

William built lots of navies for an assault, but my just-so earlier forces sacked Tyros and the game was over.

This game was alot of fun, and much more enjoyable than our last 2-nations-each two player game. Still, I clearly had an advantage in geography, in sea zones and in keeping up in the tech race so those 8 scholars were evently split.

The two iron cost for units was great.

In our next game, we'll make tech more expensive. For sure, the second tier will cost at least 8. Maybe even 10. I'm toying with the idea of only including 6 scholar cards. We'd either not award cards for Market/Currency, or else just give out 6 and that would be the limit. For sure, we'll not see this kind of peaceful gold strategy in our next game. We'll probably both hit the guns fast!

For sure, we'll try the other three map halves and see what happens. We may wind up with a mid-map preference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sample
United States
Pelham
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Bright, brilliant colors are to be seen everywhere, the stones and pigments undimmed by the passage of decades. The floor of the corridor is a colorful mosaic of stone, with a distinct, winding path of red tiles about 2' wide.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am intrigued by this game, Antike, not your particular playing of it this time. I enjoyed your session report. I will give it a ^ when I get home from work.

Peace,
Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.