Daniel D'Cotta
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When can we move blue cubes between different farms and mines technologies?

I had a situation where a player had four blue cubes representing 1 food on a farm, then that player researched an Age I farm.

Could he immediately move two of the blue cubes from his Age A farm to his Age I farm and move the other two to his blue bank?

To me, the rules seemed to imply that it could only be done when he needed to spend food.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
You cannot simply move blue cubes around when you want to. IIRC you cannot move blue cubes upward under any circumstances - but you can ensure that consumption is paid with lower denominations and that can end up lowering your overall number of blue cubes in use.

(edit for clarity to add "blue")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the new rulebook handy, but that was the rule for the old version. You could "make change." So if you wanted to spend one ore and you only had one blue token on a two-ore technology, you could move the ore to the one-ore technology and call it paid.

But you couldn't do the reverse. If you had two one-ore tokens, you were not allowed to change them into a single two-ore token and put the other token back in your blue bank.

Of course, you could pay with the less valuable tokens and get them into your bank that way, but automatic exchanges were not allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gardner
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the Upgrade action, you are allowed to upgrade those Age A farms to Age 1 farms, but that takes an action. Read more in the rules about "Upgrade."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
David Gardner wrote:
With the Upgrade action, you are allowed to upgrade those Age A farms to Age 1 farms, but that takes an action. Read more in the rules about "Upgrade."

Just to clarify, since the question is not about upgrading the farms, but about whether or not blue tokens representing food/resources can be upgraded: The answer is no, regardless of whether or not you upgrade the farms/mines themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gardner
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. Was just mentioning that as sometimes related concepts can spring insights. (If you re-read the first line of the thread you'll see that it's in a way maybe an answer to the question.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have said, you are not allowed to move the blue cubes around freely.

And not even when you 'spend food'

In your example, if you spend 2 food, you will still have 2 blue cubes on your agriculture card, you are not allowed to move them up to Irrigation.

The only time blue cubes move between cards are when you are getting change. So if you had 1 cube on irrigation and needed to spend 1 food, you would move the cube down to agriculture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel D'Cotta
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:

In your example, if you spend 2 food, you will still have 2 blue cubes on your agriculture card, you are not allowed to move them up to Irrigation.

The only time blue cubes move between cards are when you are getting change. So if you had 1 cube on irrigation and needed to spend 1 food, you would move the cube down to agriculture.

Thank you, that answers my question.

So the player with 4 blue cube on Agriculture will still have the same number after researching Irrigation; and during Food Consumption, can only remove blue cubes (and can never move blue cubes from Agriculture to Irrigation).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:

But you can still choose which cubes you want to pay with, right? i.e. if you need 2 resources, you can use two "1" cubes, rather than a single "2"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it mandatory "to make change"? In essence, can you overpay if you so desire?

For example if you need to pay 1 food and you use 3-value food token(you have nothing else and you don't have Irrigation). If I'm correct you would have to move the 3-value token to Agriculture and put one blue token from your Blue Bank on Agriculture, resulting in a total of two food on Agriculture. This could potentially cause Corruption, so it matters if it is mandatory or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
RoadHouse wrote:
Is it mandatory "to make change"? In essence, can you overpay if you so desire?

For example if you need to pay 1 food and you use 3-value food token(you have nothing else and you don't have Irrigation). If I'm correct you would have to move the 3-value token to Agriculture and put one blue token from your Blue Bank on Agriculture, resulting in a total of two food on Agriculture. This could potentially cause Corruption, so it matters if it is mandatory or not.
Yes, it's mandatory. That much I know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George I.
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On a side note, if you have researched Irrigation and you gain 4 food somehow, e.g., action card or spoils of war, then you can put 2 blue cubes on the irrigation technology, even if you haven't built any irrigation farms.

But, yes, as already mentioned, you may never "upgrade" cubes on lower technologies to evade corruption. You can make change if you have to by "downgrading", e.g., if you have a selective breeding, exactly 1 blue cube on it (3x food) and need to pay 1x food, you can exchange it for 3x cubes on the Agriculture technology (3 cubes x 1 food/cube) and then pay 1x blue (1x food).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john guthrie
United States
silver spring
maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Picon wrote:
On a side note, if you have researched Irrigation and you gain 4 food somehow, e.g., action card or spoils of war, then you can put 2 blue cubes on the irrigation technology, even if you haven't built any irrigation farms.

But, yes, as already mentioned, you may never "upgrade" cubes on lower technologies to evade corruption. You can make change if you have to by "downgrading", e.g., if you have a selective breeding, exactly 1 blue cube on it (3x food) and need to pay 1x food, you can exchange it for 3x cubes on the Agriculture technology (3 cubes x 1 food/cube) and then pay 1x blue (1x food).

Yes, I was going to mention that too. Another way to get food without using your workers, where this food can go in a higher slot where you have workers, is with colonization
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
But you can still choose which cubes you want to pay with, right? i.e. if you need 2 resources, you can use two "1" cubes, rather than a single "2"
Yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.