8 Posts

Istanbul» Forums » Variants

Subject: House rule: 5 lira for Merchant Encounter instead of 2 lira. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
VJKRGN KL
Malaysia
flag msg tools
We find the 2 lira payment on merchant encounter (meeting another already existing merchant on a tile) is hardly a deterrent.

We are now thinking of increasing the payment to 5 lira. Hopefully this would improve the game and influence a lot of tactics in the game. Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Aust
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vjkrgn wrote:
We find the 2 lira payment on merchant encounter (meeting another already existing merchant on a tile) is hardly a deterrent.

We are now thinking of increasing the payment to 5 lira. Hopefully this would improve the game and influence a lot of tactics in the game. Any thoughts?

What if it was an incremental increase, i.e. it starts at 2, but increases the more gems you get? It could be 2+(gems*2) or gems +2 for cost. I think 5 at the start of the game would be pretty steep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VJKRGN KL
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mlaust10 wrote:
vjkrgn wrote:

What if it was an incremental increase, i.e. it starts at 2, but increases the more gems you get? It could be 2+(gems*2) or gems +2 for cost. I think 5 at the start of the game would be pretty steep.

Good suggestion but anything incremental makes it harder to track. Can be 5 lira if the cash with the player is 5 or more and if it's less than 5, it can be 2. If it's harder, it's fine as that will make players look for alternative solutions and that's where the game gets interesting.

When you have a filled your wheelbarrows with storage spaces and frequently visit the markets, the cash balance is always about 15-20 coins, so the 2 lira doesn't mean anything. Whereas 5 lira can have an influence on their plans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Der Einsielder
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vjkrgn wrote:

Why should it be "deterrent"?

Merchant love to trade - they do not want to be deterrent (otherwise they make no business).

From a gaming point of view:
The idea behind is not to block out others completely - this could kick others completely out of the game. This is not intended.
It's just intended to make that move a little harder.

And by the way: If A gives B 2 lira A now has 4 lira more compared to B. That's nearly as good a the 5 lira action card...

From my games: Recently I was delayed 2 rounds from finishing the game by this rule. Due to this I only finished 3rd instead of 1st...

Conclusion: Absolutely no need to change this rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VJKRGN KL
Malaysia
flag msg tools
Einsiedler wrote:
vjkrgn wrote:

Why should it be "deterrent"?

Merchant love to trade - they do not want to be deterrent (otherwise they make no business).

From a gaming point of view:
The idea behind is not to block out others completely - this could kick others completely out of the game. This is not intended.
It's just intended to make that move a little harder.

And by the way: If A gives B 2 lira A now has 4 lira more compared to B. That's nearly as good a the 5 lira action card...

From my games: Recently I was delayed 2 rounds from finishing the game by this rule. Due to this I only finished 3rd instead of 1st...

Conclusion: Absolutelgy no need to change this rule.

Well, deterrents are basic elements of game mechanics. While there are multiple options and routes, the risk and reward should be suitable attached or else everyone will have the same route and approach and the game gets stale. The 2 lira charge makes a difference in the early part of the game but in the second half, if you exploit the generous markets, you're gonna be rolling in money and then the 2 Lira thing doesn't even matter and stack up goods, sell goods and buy rubies in a loop.

Don't know how this works in 3-player games. Have only played 2-player games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel L
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience the 2 lira makes a difference at every stage of the game. Early game it's obvious because every player is short on money. Late game players have more money, but they are trying to buy more expensive things (i.e. rubies). I've seen on more than one occasion a player blocked from buying a ruby because they needed 2 more lira.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with the others--I don't think this rule needs to be changed. In my experience, the game is extremely tight. The win is usually down to a single turn, and everyone is very close. Missing out on a tile or action in the early game due to the 2 Lira penalty is all it takes to move you from 1st place to 2nd or 3rd.

The game seems very balanced, as is, to me. But I've only played with 4 players. Never with 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Geraghty
Ireland
Kilkenny
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's your game, play how you want. However, I think the rule is fine as is.

This should be moved to variants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.