Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim K.
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Silly hypothetical question in case anyone decides to go ahead and play with a spider on each side:

What happens if one spider tries to web another?

A spider should be able to walk out of a web and so should be immune to having a web put on it, no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you understand your biology of real spiders, you'd know that spiders actually walk on non-sticky strands of their own webs. So if you're using real life logic (which isn't exactly your friend in a situation like this) any spider caught in a web not of its own devising would still be stuck.

Of course, in this case, we're talking about a giant spider not weaving a web but actually spitting one out. Very much like a net. So a net made of spiderwebbing would still function pretty much as a net if it was thrown on another giant spider.

That's my reasoning anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Uitz
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though the comparison with real life spiders is interesting, don't forget that it's only a boardgame. DOW is trying to keep the rules as simple as possible.

I can't remember reading (in any rulebook or compendium) a reference that any existing unit (regular or creature) is immune to it's own powers. So, in my opinion, all attacks or special powers affect all attacked units to the same extent, unless it's written differently in the rules or in the creature's description (eg. EE is immune to all retreats, so a HG's pushback doesn't work).

Dark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Uitz
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ejamer wrote:
DarkPadawan wrote:
(eg. EE is immune to all retreats, so a HG's pushback doesn't work)

Oh - that brings up an interesting question.

I disagree with the above statement, because a pushback is not the same as a retreat. To me, a "pushback" means the Hill Giant hits something so hard that it goes flying; a "retreat" means that the unit runs away on it's own. The Earth Elemental doesn't get scared, and so it never runs away... but if you hit it hard enough then the unit will still end up in a different hex.

(Of course, you could be right. I'd be interested to see what Days of Wonder says in their FAQ.)

I completely shared your opinion for exact the same reasons ... until I found the following official statement in the creature compendium (#8 in the HG entry) on the DOW BL-page:

Quote:
Hill Giant vs. Earth Elemental (Comment / Question)

Question: This came up in a game I was playing with my son. My Hill Giant attacked his Earth Elemental, which I actually had completely surrounded (all 6 hexes). I rolled two lore. Does the Earth Elemental retreat or not? Hill Giant says must retreat, Earth Elemental says never retreat. Which happens? Thanks very much.

Answer; Elementals such as the Earth Elemental never, ever retreat. In this case, the Earth Elemental overrides the Hill Giant's push back, and ignores the retreat.

Dark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.