Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hankering to try my hand at creating a simple computer game. Not a shooter but maybe an X-Com style game. I am well aware that any game created by one person wont be a big sell because all computer games out nowadays require massive man-hours. I am just looking to cut my teeth on video game design.

Can anyone point out free software that would suit this? Maybe a commercial product that allows a trial period?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
Re: What is the current best easy-to-use game design softwar
Try this one out...

http://www.gamemaker.nl/index.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blender has a python-driven "game" development engine. It's also Free & Open.

There seem to be a lot of people creating games with Flash technology these days.

You can create a game out of anything - the important thing is to learn some tools.

Check out http://jayisgames.com for some great examples of Flash games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reeves
United States
Georgetown
TX
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

GameMaker looks good and has documentation! How does GameMaker compare to MultiMedia Fusion???

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarratt Davis
Australia
Adelaide
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To paraphrase Wolverine: GameMaker's the best at what it does.

It is small, powerful, flexible and relatively cheap compared to pretty much all other game development packages out there. It isn't perfect but it certainly has a lot of nice features. Primarily it is for 2D games, but some people have created surprisingly decent games with the limited 3D commands. As it was originally written by Professor Mark Overmars to help teach game development in one of his courses, it caters to both the beginner and the more experienced programmer because it has both a drag and drop system, as well as a powerful built-in script language. It is better used for writing smaller to medium games and it excels at prototyping, however having said that I've seen some very nicely done larger games written using GameMaker. It is extendable through the use of external DLL's, of which there are now a ton freely available, and the forum has tons of examples including some almost complete games. Be aware though that the forum is flooded with young-uns and at times can be a little lacking in the maturity department. Thankfully though the moderators are pretty good at stamping out spot fires.

However there are some downsides:
- It can be a little top-heavy in CPU usage if you don't plan your game correctly. Version 6 added some pretty serious overhead compared to version 5.3a. Mind you version 6 did add a whole lot of functionality as well such as the limited 3D.
- It's not really a compiled language. Essentially it packages all your code, pictures, sound, music etc. up into a bundle and tacks a runner on the front end in order to create stand-alone executables. Mind you, GM isn't the only hobbyist game development package out there which handles the creation of stand-alone executables this way.

You can download and try it out (which I suggest you do), but certain features will be disabled until you register. eg. using external DLLs, the particle system etc.

Current version is 6.1, although version 7 is due to be released early to mid-February.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reeves
United States
Georgetown
TX
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jarratt. The GM description was detailed and answered many of my questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you everyone for the heads-up. GM looks pretty good, and it aint gonna break the bank to register.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reeves
United States
Georgetown
TX
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Thank you everyone for the heads-up. GM looks pretty good, and it aint gonna break the bank to register.

Although registration is $20, I'm going to wait for their next release in Feb. Then I'll register, since fees may change, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TeknoMerk wrote:

Although registration is $20, I'm going to wait for their next release in Feb. Then I'll register, since fees may change, etc.

*nods*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarratt Davis
Australia
Adelaide
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably the best idea. Hope it does what you both want. Oh and if you have any questions about programming using GM later on, feel free to give me a buzz - although the forum is probably still a better place to ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.