Hide
3 Posts

Neuroshima Hex! 3.0» Forums » Rules

Subject: Officer/The Brain confusion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
maaltan natlaam
msg tools
I am about to go crazy trying to figure out exactly how attack boosting modules work. Using the included puzzle cards as extended rules and reading around they seem to work in one of these ways:

1. They boost all existing attack types on unit (melee officer only boosts melee attack faces.

2. They boost onle one existing face

3. they add 1 melee to any single face.

in addition moloch's "the brain" seems to use different rules. (see puzzle card 002) According to card, it seems to give +1 ranged AND +1 melee to any face that has an attack of any kind. If this is true, what makes this special? Why does a ranged officer not give a melee attack ranged power?

Thanks for any clarifications i can get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Szpot
Poland
Rybnik
flag msg tools
Hey look, a pony!
badge
Smile :)
mbmbmbmbmb
All modules only work in the directions in which they point. They influence every allied unit they point to, unless otherwise specified.

Modules that boost any particular type of attack do so with every attack made by every unit attached to them while they're working (i.e. alive and not netted). So a unit with 1 melee attack in three directions will do 2 damage in each of these directions, a unit attacking in two initiative phases will get the bonus in its every initiative phase.

Modules that boost a type of attack that a unit they're attached to doesn't have simply have no effect. So a melee-boosting module will have no effect on a ranged attack.

Moloch's Brain boosts both types of attacks - think of it as two modules compressed into one. Among all the units attached to it, any that have ranged attacks have these ranged attacks boosted by 1. Any units with a melee attack have that boosted by 1 as well. Should a unit possess both a ranged and a melee attack, both of these would be boosted as well. But never does it give the possibility to perform a ranged attack by a unit that doesn't have such an ability printed.

Modules that boost initiative do so with every so-far-unused initiative of the unit they're attached to. So if you have a unit that attacks in phases 2 and 3 boosted with a module, it will attack in phases 4 and 3. If, however, the module should die in initiative 4, the unit will attack in initiative 4 (3 boosted), not attack in initiative 3 (3 already used) and attack once more in initiative 2 (2 unused and not boosted).

Finally, there is Mother, which may be the source of your confusion (I don't have the puzzle in front of me). It allows a unit to attack one more time in every battle, in the initiative phase lower by 1 than the unit's lowest original initiative phase. So, a unit that originally attacks in initiative 3 would attack in initiatives 3 and 2. If the unit from the example above were boosted by the Mother module, it would attack one final time in initiative 1.

I hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maaltan natlaam
msg tools
OK thanks for the clarification. I see the point of my confusion:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The Moloch base also gives +1 ranged which allows the hybrid to attack at 3x2 times instead of 2x2 times (also attached ranged officer and mother module)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.