Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Declan
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With Amazon selling the core set at about $22 I was thinking of adding this to the kids Christmas list. Is there any point in getting just the base set?
Is there much variety in the game if everything is simply one X-wing versus two TIE fighters?
Can it be played three player, me with the X-wing and each of the kids with a TIE fighter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Beaver
United States
Wilmington
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely say that the core set is playable on its own. And having each of the kids take a TIE would be a great way to learn. There are enough variations between pilots and add-on cards that you should have variation for a little while. Eventually you'll want to add more ships but for the initial go, I say go for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
I live in the city of Gulf, on the shores of Lake Water. This fun fact has nothing to do with this badge you're pointing at.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say in all honesty it's pretty dull.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can see if it's a game that you would enjoy, but a core set won't last you long.

Two years ago before Christmas I got a core set from a sale, it ended up costing less than I thought. After playing it once, I got up on Christmas Eve and bought another, the only remaining core set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You need the core set to get started (dice, maneuver templates, rules) but as Miikka suggests it'll get pretty dull pretty quick. You'll want to pick up a couple expansions at least. Most I think would suggest the Rebel Aces (A-wing and B-Wing) as well as the Imperial Aces (two TIE Interceptors with cool pilots) to start. If the kids really like Star Wars then maybe the TIE Advanced, while not thought of as a particularly great ship when up against the better Rebel ships, it has Darth Vader. After that there will be a hundred suggestions so it boils down to what you and the kids like. Seems to me the kids like to get ships they recognise, from the movies, TV shows, or comic books.

The original core set has Luke. The new Force Awakens core set has Poe.
Many will also suggest if you want to "start getting in to this game" then one of each core set is suggested.

~Enjoy~!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The most important consideration when buying a first Core set is your family's financial future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Ames
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. One core set is fun by itself -- at least for a while. After that, you'll want to get more ships that expand the game.

I personally like playing with more than two players. The game holds up well as a multi-player game. I started playing two or so years ago with my then 8-year-old son. I think my six year old will be ready to play with us soon.

The core set also comes with missions that are actually fun to play.

A lot of folks suggest getting two core sets because it's a very cost-effective way to double the amount of ships and dice that you have. I see that logic, but you also end up with a bunch of duplicate components that you'll never use, and most people seem to get the TIE and X-Wing expansions anyway.

I only got one core set, and then one each of the expansions that I liked: Falcon, TIE Fighter, TIE Interceptor, TIE Advanced, TIE Bomber, X-wing, Y-wing, and A-Wing. I probably would never have bought so many expansions so quickly if I didn't have a substantial Amazon.com gift card at the time. Picking up two "Aces" sets makes a lot of sense.

After that buying spree, I stopped. I could have picked up Slave 1 and a B-Wing, but I think B-Wings are kind of goofy (and I didn't like flying them in the X-Wing computer game), and I have never liked Slave 1 or Boba Fett.

In my playing casually at home, mostly with my son, I find that smaller games of around 60 points (ships, pilots, and weapons have point costs) hit the sweet spot. They are more tense and have more action in a shorter amount of time than 100 point games, which are/were the norm for tournament play. If I recall correctly, the core set recommends games of 32 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lufbery wrote:
A lot of folks suggest getting two core sets because it's a very cost-effective way to double the amount of ships and dice that you have. I see that logic, but you also end up with a bunch of duplicate components that you'll never use, and most people seem to get the TIE and X-Wing expansions anyway.

The main reason I bought additional core sets for my son and myself was just to get the additional components. Unless you want to spring for the fancy acrylic movement templates, the cardboard ones that come with the original set start to show some wear. Or a dog gets one and chews it up. Plus having a double set of dice (6 red + 6 green) per person is very convenient. There are still components that are less useful, but honestly you can keep them for when something goes missing, or just run a major "Never tell me the odds" mission with 12 asteroids instead of 6.

Plus there are different pilots in the two different core sets. And you have to get one of everything. Pikachu says so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Declan
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Donkler wrote:
The most important consideration when buying a first Core set is your family's financial future.

Would you say that it is "Money: The Gathering"-like in its ability to drain a bank account?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smales
United States
Rome
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Colonel Peter Gansevoort (1749 – 1812) Defender of Ft. Stanwix, Rome, N.Y., 1777
mbmbmbmbmb
Get the core set and play with it. You'll know if this game "fits" right away. Think of it as a tutorial and just enjoying learning the system. There is never any rush to buy everything before you know what you're getting into. I think you're going to enjoy the core set and will want to add to it, but dip your toe into the water before you hit the high dive. It's a great game system and the new core set has an excellent "Learn to Play" book. Best of luckcool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ardmhacha wrote:
Donkler wrote:

Would you say that it is "Money: The Gathering"-like in its ability to drain a bank account?

I'm not sure how pricy X-Wing is to play relative to Magic, but I found that the excellent quality of the game combined with the sheer number of expansions has made it a very expensive hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
At least you can stop buying more X-Wing when you switch to Imperial Assault (which does come with everything you need in the core game, but does not prevent you from continuing spending, especially if you like to paint miniatures).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.