Legendary: Secret Wars – Volume 2» Forums » General

Subject: Skipping This One :( rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan S
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well ... Sad to say, I have to skip this set. Haven't read the Secret Wars and don't know most of these characters.

I would like Beast, Captain Britain, & the Henchman... but alas, can't justify another $40 to lug around a bunch of nonsense that we probably wouldn't enjoy playing.

Still our current favorite game, but I think it is getting too big for us. Hopefully some small boxes get us excited next year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan M
United States
Knoxville
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't matter to me who the characters are, it's fun to play. And the schemes are great too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hiltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play this game for the mechanics, the characters could be stick figures wearing capes and I'd want more, more, more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Larose
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be getting this one, but not until the new year. Too close to Christmas for me, and this wasn't on my list. Doesn't mean I won't be surprised, but I'm pretty sure I won't be surprised

Usually I get the expansions as soon as they come out because I don't want to miss out, but being a bigger box expansion, I'm hoping to have no issues buying it when I'm able.

I'm not familiar with the story, nor most of the characters, but I always enjoy more...more...more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's true that these two sets have the most obscure characters, but I think SWV1 was the best expansion to date. Haven't actually played V2 yet, but based on the rule sheet it looks like it'll be pretty interesting as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom tom
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I did not know who some of the characters were in the base set. I stopped reading comics long ago and when I did I was more of a DC fan. I agree with Justin, for me it is the unique hero mechanics, masterminds and the interesting scheme twists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played my first game with Secret Wars Volume 2 last night, and my initial impression is that I like it way more than Secret Wars Volume 1. The card play was very fun and innovative. I'm loving all the new mechanisms, especially Charge and Patrol. Hyperion entering the City was thrilling. I even loved the new Bystanders. (I didn't like the Banker in SW1 at all.) I will say jury's still out on the Schemes though. Not really impressed with any of them from just reading them, and the one we played (God Emperor of Battleworld) was disappointing.

Shang Chi might be my new favorite hero! I really enjoyed his abilities, especially the way his rare and commons interacted. So cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seems like this could have been posted in the "gripe" thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no one size fits all with these sort of things. For me though Secret Wars is sort of a way to learn about some of the Marvel Universe I wasn't previously aware of. That said I understand the sentiment. The game has a ton of characters with unimaginable variety and replability already. Nothing wrong with sticking with the characters you know more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a genuine question to all those who decide whether or not to pick up a set based on who's in it. It's not meant to be snarky or sarcastic - I really am curious.

Do you guys also base what movies you'll go see, TV you'll watch, comics you'll read or what have you on the same principles? Do you only watch shows about characters you know? Only read comics featuring folks you're familiar with?

And if so - how do you find out about new stuff?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan S
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is actually a really good point ... Hadn't thought about it like that!

I think if these two SW expansions were the first one after the base set, I probably would have just insta-bought them. Maybe it is just because there are so many sets that I am turned off by this one. Maybe buyers remorse since we have everything except SW2 which we spent multiple hundreds of dollars on!

IronSyndicate wrote:
I have a genuine question to all those who decide whether or not to pick up a set based on who's in it. It's not meant to be snarky or sarcastic - I really am curious.

Do you guys also base what movies you'll go see, TV you'll watch, comics you'll read or what have you on the same principles? Do you only watch shows about characters you know? Only read comics featuring folks you're familiar with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan S
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
M_Strauss wrote:
It's true that these two sets have the most obscure characters, but I think SWV1 was the best expansion to date. Haven't actually played V2 yet, but based on the rule sheet it looks like it'll be pretty interesting as well.

Really? SW1 was the best? I pretty much like every other expansion better (perhaps because we do not use the "play as mastermind" mechanic)?

I hadn't seen anyone else post that SW1 was their favorite, although I am pretty unobservant here sometimes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan M
United States
Knoxville
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan8765309 wrote:
M_Strauss wrote:

Really? SW1 was the best? I pretty much like every other expansion better (perhaps because we do not use the "play as mastermind" mechanic)?

I hadn't seen anyone else post that SW1 was their favorite, although I am pretty unobservant here sometimes

My group has yet to use the "play as the mastermind" aspect. I like SW2 way more than SW1. The characters may be obscure but they are so much fun to play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan8765309 wrote:
M_Strauss wrote:

My view of it is a little more complicated. It really depends on how you look at expansions and what you want out of them.

To me, Dark City took what the base game did, and gave you more of it. Sure, it added a few keywords, but they weren't overly complex and really just widened the purview of the base game. It more than doubled the offering of heroes, masterminds, villains etc - and just gave you a whole lot more combinations to play around with.

Secret Wars (Volume 1, I have yet to play 2), on the other hand, is all about depth. It pushes the game into new area, giving you richer and more elaborate mechanics - multiple Masterminds, rampages, zombies. It also gave us a playable Mastermind which, regardless on whether or not you actually use the mode, is a significant shift in the game's design space. Volume 2 looks to continue the trend with Patrol and Charge, plus expanding the "play as a Mastermind" mode.

I see Dark City as completing the base game, while Secret Wars expands it. DC makes the game wider, while SW makes it deeper. So which best? That depends. For a player new to Legendary, I'll always recommend Dark City as the "best" expansion to get, as it really takes a good game and elevates it to a much higher level. To me as a seasoned player, who's been with the game since release - yeah, Secret Wars is the best expansion, as it makes the game so much richer and really adds a much higher level of interaction and excitement to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan8765309 wrote:
M_Strauss wrote:

Secret Wars Vol. 1 is my favorite so far. Vol. 2 might beat it, if it ever arrives. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
justinhiltz wrote:
I play this game for the mechanics, the characters could be stick figures wearing capes and I'd want more, more, more.

If the cards were from DC for example, I wouldn't touch the game with a mile long pole. Theme has to be appealing for me to even give the game a chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IronSyndicate wrote:

I'll go ahead and field this one from my perspective.

When it comes to movies and television, the premise has to be something that I hold some sort of interest in, but it's a bonus if the movie/show features characters or topics I'm already a fan of. Usually a genre is enough for me, but I think the channel now known as SyFy has shown us that not all things in a genre are equal.

When it comes to comic books, I started out reading my friend's early X-Men collection and really liked the characters and story lines. After reading those for a little while I chose to jump into collecting/reading and started with the Uncanny X-Men as well as some tangentially related titles and branched from there over the years. I learned of those titles (and subsequent other titles and characters) by cross-over stories, Team-Ups or cameos. Not all cross-overs bore fruit for me though. By that I mean that for every one that I liked, there was one that didn't impress me -- I haven't actually checked the ratio, but truth be told it was probably somewhere around 5-to-1 in favor or like vs dislike.

Did I scratch that genuine curiosity itch of yours at least a little bit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Finnegan
msg tools
mbmb
Secret Wars 2 is my favorite as well, though I also enjoy Fear Itself, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, lol.

SW2 has the most unique and dynamic stuff in it since Dark City, and probably has more, outside of name brand characters anyway, to offer than that set. I realise most of the characters are different variations of "who?" but many of them are very good. Had a great game last night comboing Ruby Summers with base-set Cyclops. Genuinely the most fun Ive had playing Legendary in awhile.

If you pass on it now, and wanting to save 40 bucks on its own is legit enough reason to skip anything, I hope you consider it down the road if you can find it on sale somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I view this expansion the same way I view the comic book series Secret Wars. You don't have to buy the expansion anymore than as a reader of Marvel comic books you have to read Secret Wars. If it's not your cup of tea then give it a pass. Nothing wrong with that.

For myself I like the idea of playing against an alternate universe Captain America or an alternate universe Hulk. I also like playing the traditional characters i.e. I'll do a thematic game of just Avengers or use just the Fantastic Four.

Think of the game like a boardgame sushi bar. Feel free to load up on the Ebi and pass on the Tako (That's shrimp and octopus...Octopus is nasty.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thud105 wrote:
IronSyndicate wrote:

I'll go ahead and field this one from my perspective.

When it comes to movies and television, the premise has to be something that I hold some sort of interest in, but it's a bonus if the movie/show features characters or topics I'm already a fan of. Usually a genre is enough for me, but I think the channel now known as SyFy has shown us that not all things in a genre are equal.

When it comes to comic books, I started out reading my friend's early X-Men collection and really liked the characters and story lines. After reading those for a little while I chose to jump into collecting/reading and started with the Uncanny X-Men as well as some tangentially related titles and branched from there over the years. I learned of those titles (and subsequent other titles and characters) by cross-over stories, Team-Ups or cameos. Not all cross-overs bore fruit for me though. By that I mean that for every one that I liked, there was one that didn't impress me -- I haven't actually checked the ratio, but truth be told it was probably somewhere around 5-to-1 in favor or like vs dislike.

Did I scratch that genuine curiosity itch of yours at least a little bit?

It did. And discovering new comic characters through cross-over makes perfect sense, that's how I grew my interest in the field and ultimately - that's really the purpose of a crossover.

But then wouldn't you say that Secret Wars (the game) is the same in a way. It gives you Beast or Captain Britain and in return you get Ruby Summers or Shang Chi.

And maybe it's just me, but even if I wouldn't have known the characters - looking over the list has so many cool concepts - Dr. Strange's spirit possessing the Punisher? A Gladiator Steve Rogers? Gwen Stacy bitten by the spider?
These are all really cool hooks.

If it's a budget issue, or money you simply don't want to spend - then absolutely, I get that 100%. But not getting the game simply because you don't know any of the characters - that seems odd to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I probably should've clarified right up front: I'm not skipping this set. I haven't skipped a single one yet and I intend to continue with the next two that we know of!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I may or may not buy the next one. I've said elsewhere that I have so much in the game now I don't really feel the need for more cards. However one thing that comes along with so many cards and variety is you can build thematic games. Play the Avengers, X-Men or of course The Fantastic Four. The next small box expansion is Captain America and since I really like Cap I might just break down and buy that just so I can play a Captain America theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IronSyndicate wrote:
And maybe it's just me, but even if I wouldn't have known the characters - looking over the list has so many cool concepts - Dr. Strange's spirit possessing the Punisher? A Gladiator Steve Rogers? Gwen Stacy bitten by the spider?
These are all really cool hooks.

Really cool or really, really retartedly stupid, maybe the line is too thin to see whistle .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesus Christ. Yes, crazy things have no place in comic books with giant purple planet eaters and a woman with squirrel powers.

This board is populated by too many people who seemingly either hate comics or are embarrassed by the fact they like them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Runnestrand
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
You should be reading this comic.
badge
I like nerdy stuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
DiggetyDog46 wrote:
Jesus Christ. Yes, crazy things have no place in comic books with giant purple planet eaters and a woman with squirrel powers

Look, she's 50% Squirrel, 100% Girl....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.