Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robin Vermeersch
Belgium
ghent
Select..
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After the Harbinger prophecied the end of the world, we fast forward in time to a new, ravaged Talisman-land.

The entire main board will be replaced in this one, with new art, new possibilities, new endings, new characters and of course, new deadly Adventure Cards.

Will you take the plunge with this one?

Full article: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/12/14/the-ca...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate T.
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
nom nom nom
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, another one!
They keep making and I'll keep buying!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another one!
I actually might not need this one.
I have all the expansion up to The Harbinger.
More than enough I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Must. Get. Them. All. robot

This is a nice twist though. Just when I thought there could be no more, here's a new surprise.

However, where in the hell is my Timescape expansion?

Relic doesn't count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Franka
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'll get it because why not? The system is still fun for what it is. The main thing I'd like is the new characters.

But there's so much stuff for this system that it now kind of demands the approach that Eldritch Horror has taken--only use one or two expansions and only if you draw specific pre-setup cards telling you to use those expansions. I like this approach--you get the variety but aren't really confronted with the bloat because in any game, you're leaving most of the things out that would make the game feel "bloated."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bigtex01 wrote:
I'll get it because why not? The system is still fun for what it is. The main thing I'd like is the new characters.

But there's so much stuff for this system that it now kind of demands the approach that Eldritch Horror has taken--only use one or two expansions and only if you draw specific pre-setup cards telling you to use those expansions. I like this approach--you get the variety but aren't really confronted with the bloat because in any game, you're leaving most of the things out that would make the game feel "bloated."

Talisman is easy to avoid expansion bloat with - just don't use everything all at once, all the time.
Playing with the 4 corner boards is enough without the small boxes. Or add in two small boxes, and not the outer boards. How about two boards, and one small box?

You see what I'm getting at here.

Keep it all separated and just mix in what you want - like Eldritch Horror. The only difference is you don't have a card to tell you what to do, or how to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Örtman
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
KDM
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghool wrote:

I want that too!! Wanna be a spacemarine in Talisman once again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Örtman
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
KDM
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghool wrote:
bigtex01 wrote:

Talisman is easy to avoid expansion bloat with - just don't use everything all at once, all the time.
Playing with the 4 corner boards is enough without the small boxes. Or add in two small boxes, and not the outer boards. How about two boards, and one small box?

You see what I'm getting at here.

Keep it all separated and just mix in what you want - like Eldritch Horror. The only difference is you don't have a card to tell you what to do, or how to do it.

Totally doing that all of the time. I've played with everything once just for fun but it's definitely best to take your approach. You get a more concentrated thematic experience that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas R.
Netherlands
flag msg tools
herbman wrote:
Ghool wrote:

There is a homebrew version
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Örtman
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
KDM
mbmbmbmbmb
maccollac wrote:
herbman wrote:
Ghool wrote:

There is a homebrew version

Didn't even bother to check.. Thnx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deciphering the low-res pictures:

Scavenger character:
• When you begin the game place the top 3(?) cards of the (??) deck into the Adventure discard pile. (The "??" deck is definitely not the Adventure deck. Maybe a Purchase deck but I doubt it.)
• You may carry any number of Objects.
• You may treat all Objects as if they had an encounter number of 1.
• At the end of your turn, (a very long, mostly covered, description of an ability that does something with Objects.)

Black Knight character:
• You begin the game with a Spiked Shield from the Purchase Deck.
• When you land on a space with another character, or another character lands on your space, you may (??) that character. If you do (??) pay you 1 gold or lose 1 life.
• When you visit the Castle, you may heal up to your life (??) instead of encountering the space normally. (The "??" is "total" or "value". I'm not very familiar with the Talisman terminology.)

That's all I have for now.

Edit: Missed a word.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We mix everything together, if we draw a card for a corner expansion we are not using we discard it and draw a new one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Wiese
Germany
35043 Marburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at the cover it seems like the long-awaited Barbarian character makes his return to the Realms of Talisman

I am still wondering how the new board will get implemented? Do you think it replaces the main board at some stage during the game? Or do you think it is an optional variant that is used during the whole game? If it is a more or less "independent" variant, which doens't use any of the original Mainboard-Adventurecards, I am a bit concerned that the new Adventure deck might not be big enough and will get boring by time, while all the old Adventure cards won't get any use any longer. Any opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackSimon wrote:
I am still wondering how the new board will get implemented? Do you think it replaces the main board at some stage during the game?
No. That would be fiddliness 2.0

BlackSimon wrote:
If it is a more or less "independent" variant, which doens't use any of the original Mainboard-Adventurecards
I'm not completely sure but I doubt it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haroth9842 wrote:
BlackSimon wrote:
I am still wondering how the new board will get implemented? Do you think it replaces the main board at some stage during the game?
No. That would be fiddliness 2.0

BlackSimon wrote:
If it is a more or less "independent" variant, which doens't use any of the original Mainboard-Adventurecards
I'm not completely sure but I doubt it.

It probably has an independent adventure deck for the Cataclysm board that has a matching back to the rest of the line.
That would at least make it backwards compatible with all the other expansions, unless they're planning to release scads more expansions only for the Cataclysm world going forward.

I think it makes more sense to be backwards compatible. They'll also piss less people off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
Reseñas de Juegos Argentinos
badge
Need a cool Graphic Design for a game you are Creating ? Maybe a banner for a kickstarter ? Ask for a quote... questions are for FREE :D
mbmbmbmbmb
With a new main map. WOuld it be a stand alone expansion ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nick licari

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
im really looking forward to this as recently me and all my friends have been buying an expansion a week until we complete and this is one more we get to add.

Im assuming this is gonna be a standalone board which is fine but my question is then, what about the expansions that are out now? there not really fitting the theme, your telling me the world went upside down but the city is still alive and well?? I am curious as to what there plan is, Otherwise they might have called it another version.

* from the article
"In The Cataclysm, Talisman is teeming with traces of the past even as the realm’s revitalization begins. The expansion’s Remnants deck scatters fragments of the former world and the apocalypse throughout the Outer and Middle regions. In the Graveyard you may discover Salvage that can be exchanged for Gold or Broken Armour that can be repaired. In fact, many things that were once considered trash have now become treasures. New cards in the Adventure deck enable you to go Scavenging for valuable Objects or take a carrion-sniffing Rotsnout Dog as a follower. You may even find a landfill that has been reinvented as a Trashtown , where heaps of rubbish are inhabited and discarded Objects become useful once more. "

that seems like the same adventure deck with new cards, and all the cards in photos have a symbol like the previous expansions do

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But it seems like they are going to put in a decent amount of Adventure cards, enough for this one to be stand-alone. Mixing them all in to the current deck would remove much of the altering effects that the world in this one is experiencing. New board and leaving off old Adventure cards would be insta pass for me. Even having to dump one or the other board will probably suffice for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
azza rein
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stand alone please!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lester Festertester
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
get ready for another 4 corner sections!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
necroloid123 wrote:
get ready for another 4 corner sections!!

Dear FFG,

Please release 4 new corner expansions for the Cataclysm main board. And then release another expansion which adds a "mirror universe" expansion where set up requires both the main board + 4 corners on one table and the Cataclysm board + corners on another table and you are transported to the corresponding location -- from table-to-table -- whenever a mirror universe effect occurs.

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ninja_Bob wrote:
Please release 4 new corner expansions for the Cataclysm main board. And then release another expansion which adds a "mirror universe" expansion where set up requires both the main board + 4 corners on one table and the Cataclysm board + corners on another table and you are transported to the corresponding location -- from table-to-table -- whenever a mirror universe effect occurs.

Traveling to Mirror Universes?
*cough*timescape*cough*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Darrin
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm slackin' so hard. Still don't have Harbinger yet. Uggghh!! Can't fall too far behind!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
I couldn't see it well, but aren't the spaces on this new board working in a kind of synchromized way in relation to the spaces of the old board? What I mean is if any effects from other expansions that correspond to, for example, the Graveyard space, it also corresponds to the specific space that replaces the Graveyard with the new board?

As being said, I couldn't see the details on the picture of the new board very well, but if the above is the case, then maybe the old adventure cards can be used with this board as well. They don't really make clear if this expansion's adventure deck only replaces the old deck, or can be added to the old cards as well. And if the spaces have different effects, but the same name, then it makes it even easier to use the old cards as well.

I don't mind replacing the board. After a while you can have the feeling that you know the old board's spaces long enough and find yourself getting bored to stick with them all the time. Some variations on the spaces is welcome.

The only point I'm concerned about is the collection of adventure cards that came with the other expansions. Replacing the old adventure deck from the base game is not a big problem to me, but if the thematic link with the adventure cards from the other expansions is getting lost, because they're supposed to be kept out as well, then I would rather prefer adding the old cards instead of replacing them. If you can add them to the new deck on its own, however, then I don't mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
RayGuns wrote:
Another one!
I actually might not need this one.
I have all the expansion up to The Harbinger.
More than enough I think.

Same. And yet... knowing me, I'll probably end up picking up a copy for completeness. Maybe there will be some interesting character sheets or spell cards. But I doubt I'll be using the new board.

There is something nice about how familiar the normal board feels. (I also don't play that often, so I'm not really looking to replace it.)

There is also something very satisfying beginning with a nice landscape and eventually overrunning it with monsters, locations, and terrain cards through normal play to the point where it might as well be a post-apocalyptic world, even without this new board.

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.