Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I have eaten some Netrunner counters and a treasure token from Nemo's War
mbmbmbmbmb
It has been decided that an Amish microbadge would be "pointless". Here is the badge in question:

I feel otherwise, obviously, since I made the badge.

Now I can think of all kinds of reasons to have such a badge, even despite the obvious, kinda tired, Weird-Al-ish easy joke. Some folks, like me, have a lot of respect for the Amish. Some folks have an interest in the Amish. Some people may have Amish friends or, for all I know, family.

So here's what I'm proposing. Let me know here if you would buy an Amish microbadge if it were available. Let's just see what the potential demand is.

IF it is made available and IF 15 people purchase it, then I'll do like I'm doing with the Unity Games badge: the free microbadge code I get will be given to a person displaying the badge, chosen at random.

If nobody wants it, I'll shut up about it.

Either way, you all win!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
You're having too much fun with that Graphire tablet, aren't you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald M. Zabos
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legomancer wrote:
It has been decided that an Amish microbadge would be "pointless". Here is the badge in question:

I feel otherwise, obviously, since I made the badge.

Now I can think of all kinds of reasons to have such a badge, even despite the obvious, kinda tired, Weird-Al-ish easy joke. Some folks, like me, have a lot of respect for the Amish. Some folks have an interest in the Amish. Some people may have Amish friends or, for all I know, family.

I like it. Maybe some Amish look around at BGG while in their "rumspringa". So this badge could be useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
I would buy it before I would buy Russian Composers of the 20th Century

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always change it to be beards.

Or put an orange dot to signify the Settlers of My Nose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Make the hat taller and you have an Abe Lincoln fan badge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want one! I want one!

I have this weird conspiracy theory that when we no longer have an energy source, the Amish will be the only community that will survive. I think they are the smartest and most resourceful people in the world. They are master craftsmen and will never have to rely on markets to produce what they need because they know how to do everything. I am a little embarrassed that I would starve if there wasn't a supermarket.

My only problem is you have to speak Dutch to be one and I've always had problem with foreign languages. Oh yeah, I am a bit too materialistic for that culture but that is my flaw not their's.

This may sound like a joke but I am really serious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see Amish as very self sufficient. The Amish that I know of regularly bum car rides to town, go over to neighbor's houses to use their phone and then stay and watch TV. They use refrigerators powered by propane. And don't buy Amish produce thinking that you're getting organically grown stuff, they use lots of pesticides.

Also, they love Mountain Dew. Big time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Anybody here ever heard of the band "Electric Amish?"

Songs like, Barn to be Wild, Black Bonnet Girls, My Congregation and Come Together (And Build a Barn).

http://www.electricamish.com/music.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you could tweak the badge slightly so it read "Amish fan" or "Amish fellow-traveller". Presumably the objection to it was that no true Amish would use the Internet, so it would be like an "I hate boardgames" microbadge...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I have eaten some Netrunner counters and a treasure token from Nemo's War
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been approved, and my offer still stands:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/browse/microbadge/1859

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Riedy
United States
Glen Ridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about making a Luddite microbadge?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
We need AmishTrash too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
Maybe you could tweak the badge slightly so it read "Amish fan" or "Amish fellow-traveller". Presumably the objection to it was that no true Amish would use the Internet, so it would be like an "I hate boardgames" microbadge...

How about a microbadge that stands for "I hate microbadges"? Now, that is one I might consider getting. Maybe. Maybe not. goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vögel
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Chess player since 1971. Wargamer nearly as long. Eurogamer since 1997. I've come to prefer a balance of favorites to churning new games. Weary of long multiplayer wargames, but 2 player I'll go all night.
mbmbmbmbmb
Screw Amish, what we really need are some Braille microbadges.

Those would be really useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fiscus
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a god-daughter named Tina Yoder who is Amish, and I consider her and her parents to be part of my family. I would love to have an Amish microbadge, though perhaps it would be misleading as I am not Amish.

What interesting topics I find here daily....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie B
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Helenoftroy wrote:
I want one! I want one!

I have this weird conspiracy theory that when we no longer have an energy source, the Amish will be the only community that will survive. I think they are the smartest and most resourceful people in the world. They are master craftsmen and will never have to rely on markets to produce what they need because they know how to do everything. I am a little embarrassed that I would starve if there wasn't a supermarket.

My only problem is you have to speak Dutch to be one and I've always had problem with foreign languages. Oh yeah, I am a bit too materialistic for that culture but that is my flaw not their's.

This may sound like a joke but I am really serious.

Helenoftroy, Amish don't speak Dutch at all. They speak German. I can just see it happen to you. We run out of oil and you have studied Dutch for years and now you want to live with them, but they don't want you since you speak the wrong kind of Dutch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sifu
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Koldfoot wrote:
Growing up in Montana I was familiar with the Hutterites.

The bee-people! Awesome. I did a grad seminar on the philosophy of biology, covering a lot of natural selection at different levels, and we studied the Hutterites. Fascinating culture. Nat. Geographic did a recent article on them too. Long time ago, there were some situations in the Eastern US where they got in some legal hot water and most of the Hutterites moved up to Canada.

Maybe instead of an Amish badge, you should design an Anabaptist badge. A "one badge to rule them all" kind of thing. I'd buy a Devastatin Dave badge before I bought an Amish one though. Sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
burrie wrote:

Helenoftroy, Amish don't speak Dutch at all. They speak German. I can just see it happen to you. We run out of oil and you have studied Dutch for years and now you want to live with them, but they don't want you since you speak the wrong kind of Dutch!

Really? I thought they spoke Pennsylvania Dutch. That's what I get for trying to learn from Friends. On the other hand, I do know some German.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Helenoftroy wrote:
Really? I thought they spoke Pennsylvania Dutch. That's what I get for trying to learn from Friends. On the other hand, I do know some German.

Pennsylvanian Dutch is actually a bastardization of Deutsch, which is German for... Germans

Also, only the "Old Amish" don't use electronic technology. There are people who consider themselves Amish and still use computers, cars, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob F
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Amish in my area speak a Swiss-German dialect (Berne Indiana). It is funny to hear Amish from two different "regions" (20 miles apart) talk to each other because there are times they don't understand each other. I had Amish neighbors across the road growing up. They were very kind, generous, nad hard working people, but then I knew others that were not. If you haven't had fresh Amish sausage or baked pies you don't know what you are missing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
bentlarsen wrote:
How about a microbadge that stands for "I hate microbadges"? Now, that is one I might consider getting. Maybe. Maybe not. goo

I'm with you here. For all I know, there IS an "I hate microbadges" microbadge but I don't know how to find that out and I don't want anyone to teach me. Kids these days...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.