Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Let me tell you a little about the core of the game and then some design questions I am working on.

OBJECT
The (current) object of the game is to collect all of the treasure in the temple while avoiding hazards.

CARDS
The 25 temple cards (tiles but cards for PnP) are comprised of 10 hazards, 5 treasures, and 10 blanks.

DEFAULT SETUP - BUILDING THE TEMPLE
Shuffle the 25 temple cards. Players alternate turns drawing a card, studying it for 5-10 seconds without showing it or saying what it is to the other player, and randomly placing it face down in the 5x5 grid until all 25 cards have been placed.

EASY SETUP
This setup is the same as the default setup except both players get to study each card for ~5 seconds before its randomly placed face down on the grid.

GAMEPLAY - EXPLORING THE TEMPLE
Starting at one of the four corners, reveal a card. If its a treasure you "have disturbed the temple" and MUST switch the placement of an adjacent unrevealed card with another unrevealed card adjacent to it. Players are allowed to discuss what the adjacent cards are before continuing. Continue to reveal cards adjacent to the previously revealed card until either all 5 treasures are uncovered (YOU WIN!) or you have encountered 3 hazards (YOU LOSE!).

TIMED MODE
Start a stopwatch as soon as you begin drawing cards during setup. See how quickly it takes you to setup the temple, explore it, and successfully discover all 5 treasures! Try to beat your best time!

=============================================================

My design questions I am working through:

Should I have more than 3 types of cards? Right now I have good, not good nor bad, and bad cards. Should the cards have any unique powers or abilities?

Should the win condition be something else? Should it require less/more treasure? Should the lose condition be something else?

Is there a better way (like an event?) to switch the placements of unrevealed cards? How would I implement this?

Should the timed mode be a default mechanic?

=============================================================

What do you think of the game idea so far? Have any other suggestions? Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
What do you think about the theme and do you prefer the simple textless/universal cards or want some powers and text mixed in? (i.e. key+chest required to open another special card.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Armstrong
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How would the players keep track of who revealed the traps? Oh, if it's co-op, then it doesn't matter...

I suggest getting rid of the blank tiles and instead have them trigger tile movement (like "Move this column down one" [and wrap the last one to the top] or "swap two tiles" or such). Indicate this with arrows if you want to keep this textless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I had thought about that but my only issue since you are supposed to follow a path and moving a whole column of cards may "break up" that path players no longer have to strategically go around or sometimes go through a hazard to get to the treasure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert Spala
Poland
Kraków
małopolskie
flag msg tools
designer
I really like the idea and the theme is fitting. Ancient temple, two adventures chasing each other in hope to loot the place first, seems solid.

However I am also a bit at loss at how we know who is the winner and the loser. Like... In my turn I unravel a tile, and if it is the fifth treasure I win / third hazard I lose? If that is the case, then it's easy enough and sounds solid.

And I agree with Defcon 64. The 'not so bad' cards that do nothing are at the moment the less thrilling thing to step on, basically a 'skip turn' thing to a degree. Perhaps adding to them some rules to shift the board could spice the game up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Current this is for COOP mode where you both work together and either win or lose together. Hence the timed mode aspect to quickly remember and then and explore (and discuss) the dungeon together.

There is a versus mode where a player is the explorer and the other is the temple. Then roles are reversed. BUT, I haven't mentioned the specifics of that mode yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert Spala
Poland
Kraków
małopolskie
flag msg tools
designer
Ah! Of course, sorry, I kind of missed the whole Co-Op bit Now it makes sense, but then I am afraid that the game might be a tad too easy if both people have good memory, right? Like, if both players keep in mind what is what, and they have roughly 12 tokens to keep in mind, when they can safely ignore remembering both the neutral AND treasure tokens, the game narrows down to remembering where the 10 hazard are, isn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Correct, and that is where I want it to be more challenging and have events where your cards are shifted but that is my issue on how to do that since the people that have to shift the cards are the same one trying to keep track of the positions.

I think if the cards look similar but different and you only have 5 seconds to recall it could make you have errors especially if you are timing the game and rushing around.

Its very easy in the versus mode to accomplish this but hard to pull off in the coop mode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.