Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Wood
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This topic was brought up last week at my gaming group. Is there a correct answer?

Poll
When you punch a game, what is the best way to punch out the pieces to avoid damage?
From the front (the side that has part of the punch)
From the back (the flat side)
I'm not sure which way is best
      271 answers
Poll created by TheOriginalJwoo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I try to punch from the back. I've only had tears occur when punching from the front.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
TracerBullet wrote:
I try to punch from the back. I've only had tears occur when punching from the front.

+1

Also, never, ever, ever, ever punch more than 1 sheet a time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Make sure your thumb is not inside your fist when you punch them.

Pete (will be here all week folks...try the soup!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
United States
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:

I enjoy your little non-sequiturs Pete
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
TracerBullet wrote:

This is also my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Hollingsworth
United Kingdom
manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cut the joins with a craft knife
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wrap your hands in tape to protect the knuckles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rodriguez
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's an icon
mbmbmbmbmb
twist round pieces in place
S1dbN
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Ryan
United States
Gray
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I punch from the front, and have yet to have any issues.

Interesting that the majority of voters and the majority of commenters (so far) are at odds with one another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Front to back. For sure.

What's important to consider is the consequence of tearing, if there is any. When punching from the front, a tear means that the chit has extra cardboard hanging on it, which can be easily ripped off. When pushing from the back, a tear means that patr of the back of the chit gets ripped off, which there is no easy way to repair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Palmer
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TracerBullet wrote:

I punch from the back, its much safer if they don't see you coming, and if they don't go down immediately you have a head start running...

Seriously though, I've actually found it depends on how they are made. I usually punch from the front, but some games I've found punch better from the back. I punched Time Stories from the front, and one of my shields ripped an extra bit and then ripped all the way across into the neighboring shield. It almost made me cry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I punch from the front, and if there's significant resistance, I get out the X-Acto Knife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
X-acto knife all the way. Have a noticeable callus still from cutting out wargames in the 80s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:

Darn it. That was going to be my tip
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel L
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
Front to back. For sure.

What's important to consider is the consequence of tearing, if there is any. When punching from the front, a tear means that the chit has extra cardboard hanging on it, which can be easily ripped off. When pushing from the back, a tear means that patr of the back of the chit gets ripped off, which there is no easy way to repair.

I punch back-to-front for the same reason. If it's going to tear, I want it to tear on the back so it's less visible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feras H
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only game ive had tear due to punching, was a $1 coin from Machi Koro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I punch from the front. I find that if I punch from the back it is more likely to pull the last layer of paper off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elyse S.
United States
Yuba City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the front and keep a knife on hand and never force them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Castles of Burgundy had the worst punch sheet ever. Never before have I had to punch something after already punching it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Secrest
United States
Clarksville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
Front to back. For sure.

I got this far down the responses before I realized you meant punching game pieces, not literally 'punching' the game. I spend too much time in Chit Chat...shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joel_L wrote:
curtc wrote:
Front to back. For sure.

What's important to consider is the consequence of tearing, if there is any. When punching from the front, a tear means that the chit has extra cardboard hanging on it, which can be easily ripped off. When pushing from the back, a tear means that part of the back of the chit gets ripped off, which there is no easy way to repair.

I punch back-to-front for the same reason. If it's going to tear, I want it to tear on the back so it's less visible.

I can't tell if you misunderstood what I said, or are disagreeing with it.

How are you more likely to tear the front if pushing from the front? That doesn't make sense to me. Before being punched, the fronts are typically fully disconnected, and the backs are partially connected. When pushing from the front, if the connected paper doesn't rip as expected, you're going to have extra paper from the punchboard attached. How would you lose paper from the back of the chit being punched? But if you push from the back and the paper doesn't rip cleanly, you're going to rip paper off the back of the chit being punched.

Yes, I realize I said basically the same thing. But I'm baffled at how someone could draw the inverse conclusion. The only scenario where I can imagine pushing from the front would cause losing paper on the back of chits is you're pushing so carelessly (and the punchboard is so bad), that the rip on the back of the punchboard goes across the frame, and over to a neighboring piece. It seems like you'd almost have to try to do that. Whereas punching form the back is very easy (both in experience, and in theory, as above) to tear the back of game pieces.

What am I missing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
BRING ME THE HEAD OF SETH NEMEC AND RIK FALCH!!!!!!
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
I punch from the side of least resistance, which seems to vary from game to game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel L
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
What am I missing?

The fronts are disconnected except where they are attached to the frame. At those cardboard joints, a tear is just as likely to happen punching front-to-back as back-to-front. So I choose back-to-front to limit any damage to the back of the piece.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pas L
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Nothing will come of nothing.
badge
Speak again.
mbmbmbmbmb
Joel_L wrote:
curtc wrote:
What am I missing?

The fronts are disconnected except where they are attached to the frame. At those cardboard joints, a tear is just as likely to happen punching front-to-back as back-to-front. So I choose back-to-front to limit any damage to the back of the piece.

Sorry, that still makes no sense at all. I'm not sure what you mean? You can't damage your piece punching front to back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.