Subject: playing the base game with more than two players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sensei Me
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it possible to play the base game with more than two players? Are there any variants or anything? I have this on my Christmas wish list and was curious. thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
Check out Truesight and other award-winning fiction at davidstahlerjr.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally possible. I think there's actually a suggested variant in the rulebook that suggests how to do it. We've played it with four several times and had a blast, particularly when we haven't had time to play Overlord.

With two on a side we generally just confer on our plays and take turns rolling dice. With three on a side you can each take a section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wheelockian wrote:
Totally possible. I think there's actually a suggested variant in the rulebook that suggests how to do it. We've played it with four several times and had a blast, particularly when we haven't had time to play Overlord.

With two on a side we generally just confer on our plays and take turns rolling dice. With three on a side you can each take a section.

Oh man, if you are having a ball with 4 or 6 guys then Overlord is sreaming at you to play it. I've no doubt you'll double your great time or better!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gibson
United States
San Diego (Scripps Ranch)
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wow Yes, if you have three or more why not Overlord? British, U.S. and Germans in Operation Market Garden would work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Heckman
United States
Ocoee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No worries, the flank system is easily adapted to 3+ players.

Play cooperatively as suggested or mini-Overlord. In mini-overlord, one player assumes overall command of each side, while additional players can play units in one or both flanks with the commander making card decisions and playing the center.

Rotate sides, roles and combinations of players and play it back again.

- Charlie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stahler Jr.
United States
Wheelock
Vermont
flag msg tools
Check out Truesight and other award-winning fiction at davidstahlerjr.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
friendc wrote:
Wheelockian wrote:

Oh man, if you are having a ball with 4 or 6 guys then Overlord is sreaming at you to play it. I've no doubt you'll double your great time or better!

We love Overlord. But some nights, you just don't have the time or energy to set up and play through a whole scenario. It's also fun to bang through a few quick games, switching sides, etc., something using just the base game (or with expansions) allows you to do.

Don't get me wrong--I like Overlord, but I sometimes feel like Overlord is overrated here on BGG compared to the base game. They're not THAT much different...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about simultaneously play the same scenario or play different scenarios from a campaign, like Barbarossa, one set of two players each on North, South and Central.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sensei Me
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for responding. I knew I would get a great response. Memoir 44 seems to have a great community. I ordered the base game this morning. Excited to get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Friend
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reaper73 wrote:
Thanks so much for responding. I knew I would get a great response. Memoir 44 seems to have a great community. I ordered the base game this morning. Excited to get it.

That's great! Hold on to your hat though. (Or should I say wallet?)You want some expansions real soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goo Have lots of fun! But yes, soon you'll probably be checking out the older threads here on "What Expansions Should I Buy?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sensei Me
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I figure that will probably happen. I'm a huge WWII history buff too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.