Aaron Hoot
United States
Venice
Florida
flag msg tools
Which one would you choose Runebound 2nd,Conquest of the Fallen lands,Return of the Heroes,Prophecy board game or another along these lines. My family and I enjoy a wide variety of games from Arkham to Bang.Thanks for any help.
Aaron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: Which one would you choose Runebound 2nd,Conquest of the
    I'd say buy the lot. Just too close to call.

You people need to get over your concerns about owning too many games.

Sag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Hoot
United States
Venice
Florida
flag msg tools
Sag
The problem is not having too many games, it's not having the money to buy the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Prophecy the best of those you mentioned. Runebound 2nd may have more longevity given all of its expansions, but the gameplay in Prophecy is clean and quick (even though the game still takes a long time to complete).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Return of the Heroes is maybe the more faminly friendly game. It costs a little less than Runebound, and if Runebound is PG-13, RotH is just PG. Plays shorter, too, with shorter player turns, so it moves quicker.

If you want a little game more steeped in Theme, just get Runebound. Even with it's faults, I still think it's the best fantasty adventure game/system currently being printed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenna Sunderlin
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking for a thematic adventure game, I wouldn't recommend Conquest of the Fallen Lands. While I enjoyed the game, it's all about placement and math (like Knizia's Samurai, but I don't know if you've ever played that). Runebound is more involved than Return of the Heroes, but both are low on player interaction. I haven't played Prophecy yet, but I started reading the rules and think I would recommend it over Return of the Heroes. With RotH it seems we spent most of the game trying to get to another part of the board, whereas Prophecy has a more streamlined movement system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alferd Packer
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
If you're looking for something with staying power, I'd go with Runebound. There are plenty of expansions relatively cheap. I haven't played all of them, but I know some of them increase player interaction. You'd probably want to research which ones you want if money is a problem though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pranno
United States
Chardon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abhslh wrote:
Which one would you choose Runebound 2nd,Conquest of the Fallen lands,Return of the Heroes,Prophecy board game or another along these lines. My family and I enjoy a wide variety of games from Arkham to Bang.Thanks for any help.
Aaron

Looking at the four people that rated all four games and their average ratings:

Prophecy (7.75)
Return of the Heroes (7.75)
Conquest of the Fallen Lands (7.75)
Runebound, second Edition (7.875)

I am not making this up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Re: Which one would you choose Runebound 2nd,Conquest of the
For those knocking Prophecy for its expandability, see

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/147978

My daughter likes Return of the Heroes most.

My son likes Runebound.

I like Prophecy and am happy to play any of them.

RotH is more euro in its mechanisms and has some interesting deeper quests (get A - do x with A to get B - take B to y - Get C and go home to turn C to D). Not sure how it compares to the new Runebound expansion: Sands of Al-Kalim.

I really like Conquest of the Fallen Lands too, but once you place a unit, it does not move or level up, it just helps you attack adjacent squares. it is a bit of a cascading/mathy/puzzly game with a great veneer for those who need/want theme. Also, try it with a variety of the basic and advanced rules, as they are really all variants, rather than two discrete games.

You cannot go wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.