Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andre Kriegler
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of EuroGames and heading to Germany for a short holiday. While in Germany, I'd love to pick up at least one EuroGame, but it'd have to be one that is multi-lingual (IE come in English or with English rules with English components). I have a few like this in my collection already (Village(DE+EN), Istanbul(DE+EN), Bang(IT+EN)). Is there a list of what games to keep an eye open for while in Germany that would come in English? Otherwise, any top picks from you guys?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to look at that time... because even though those games are sold as multi-language in the US, doesn't mean they are in Germany. On a trip this fall, I noticed most were in German only, when they were marketed as multi in the states.

So, you should just decide which games you are targeting and check at that time. Also, depends on where you are traveling to in the Germany, because although you would think game stores occupy every city/town block, they really aren't that common. Now, department stores are common, and you will find a fine selection, but it really is hit or miss - so you have to do your homework before touching down.

Arkiliknam wrote:
I'm a big fan of EuroGames and heading to Germany for a short holiday. While in Germany, I'd love to pick up at least one EuroGame, but it'd have to be one that is multi-lingual (IE come in English or with English rules with English components). I have a few like this in my collection already (Village(DE+EN), Istanbul(DE+EN), Bang(IT+EN)). Is there a list of what games to keep an eye open for while in Germany that would come in English? Otherwise, any top picks from you guys?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have a base for your German holiday you could simply order online for delivery to your hotel (or whatever). Search using boardgameprices.co.uk (they cover many European stores, inclduing the big German ones).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
if I were you I wouldn't be concerned if English rules are in the box... what's more important is that the components are language independent, English rules you can either pick up from the publisher's website or a rules translation/summary/player-aids here on BGG

I've got lots of games in my collection that have German name of the game on the box, only came with non-English rules...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Kriegler
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with you there, Jeff. The main thing is that it doesn't come with a card or board which has a load of text on it that isn't English. I love it when a game goes that extra effort and invents it's own symbol rules that can be used by anyone (as long as someone has a print out of the rules in their language).

Pegasus are nice as they have a Union Jack on the box of a bunch of their games which come with English editions/rules/components/flipped boards etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Kriegler
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But ordering it takes the fun out of walking into a random game/toy store and picking up a game that looks interesting. I've been to Germany before and looked in a shops and been overwhelmed by the boxes and German. It would be nice if I had a list of bi-lingual games I could refer to if I wanted to make sure it came in English.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It appears that you are going to need to learn German in order to know if its not in English. Better get crackin'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a bit of a rumsfeldian Unknown Unknown. First we'd have to know what games you might like, then we'd have to know what games might appeal to you on the shelf of an unknown games store in Arschkuss, Bavarafalia Holstsweg, and then we'd have to know whether the version you picked up was German only or anyway multilingual and then - if the former - whether the English rules were available here.

If you have an internet connection on your fone it'd be easier to log into BGG and check one game rather than to carry a bible-sized printouts of all 'language independent' games with English rules on BGG. It wouldn't be much shorter if we excluded OOP games either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
It appears that you are going to need to learn German in order to know if its not in English. Better get crackin'.

if a game also has rules in English you will likely find some indication on the back of the game box... like the UK flag or a blurb in English

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

if a game also has rules in English you will likely find some indication on the back of the game box... like the UK flag or a blurb in English
Not if it's a 'German-only' version of a language independent game (e.g. like many Queen games that have German-only versions as well as multilingual versions INCLUDING German as one of those languages).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Kriegler
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers all. Appreciate that it's a big ask. I posted in the Game Recommendations forum and got a few good suggestions (essentially what I was asking for). I'll be keeping an eye out for them while I'm there. In case you're interested, here they are:

- Kingdom Builder
- Carcassonne
- Alhambra
- Splendor
- Takenoko
- Jaipur
- Terra Mystica
- The Voyages of Marco Polo
- Rococo

And as I mentioned in my original post,

- Village
- Istanbul
- Bang! (this one is English/Italian)
- Lost Cities (is another great language independent game that I can recommend)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Either your humor detector or my humor transmitter must be turned off or malfunctioning, today.

JeffyJeff wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate the fun element of picking them up by hand, but most of those are heavily discounted from online stores such as milan-spiele. Certainly wait for the inevitable Queen discount sale or next year's amazon pre-Xmas sell-off for Kingdom Builder (Big Box, say); ditto Alhambra, where the "Jubilee Edition" was just on cheap offer as an Amazon lightning deal.

Make a decision beforehand whether you want to go 'old artwork' or 'new artwork' with Carcassonne. Although the tiles are compatible, the style is quite different. With 'old artwork' you will pick-up expansions sooner than you could with 'new artwork' (where they have not yet been released) but some will be increasingly difficult to find in the old style over time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramalingam Raghavan
India
CHENNAI
Tamilnadu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just ordered from amazon.de, but delivery is taking almost a week but it was to belgium, to Germany might take lesser time.
Some games are cheaper, look for english rulebook it would be mentioned.
I recently oredered Marco Polo, Camel Up, Rokoko n Inn Expn.
Rokoko was 20 eu when i got it n camel up was only 18eu. Total 93 eu.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember spotting KBuild, Carc in various incarnations (look for the Star Wars version, if you can't get it in the UK!), Alhambra, and Jaipur. Many of the Three Mages/Magician games (Cockroach poker, etc.). Spotted Village, Istanbul, and other Kosmos titles.

My game hunts occurred in Munich, Nuremberg, and Berlin.

Arkiliknam wrote:
Cheers all. Appreciate that it's a big ask. I posted in the Game Recommendations forum and got a few good suggestions (essentially what I was asking for). I'll be keeping an eye out for them while I'm there. In case you're interested, here they are:

- Kingdom Builder
- Carcassonne
- Alhambra
- Splendor
- Takenoko
- Jaipur
- Terra Mystica
- Rococo

- Village
- Istanbul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might still be able to find the special Carcassonne in a tin with 'the count' and 'river II' in one of these Mueller stores: https://shop.mueller.de/spielwaren/spielwelten/carcassone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
looks like most of the titles are "gateway"/lighter weight games... but you have a couple titles there a lot heavier and may be too much of a jump... ie. Terra Mystica and Rococo
Arkiliknam wrote:

- Kingdom Builder
- Carcassonne
- Alhambra
- Splendor
- Takenoko
- Jaipur
- Terra Mystica
- Rococo

- Village
- Istanbul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
or neither... more like I quoted the wrong post
darthhugo wrote:
Either your humor detector or my humor transmitter must be turned off or malfunctioning, today.

JeffyJeff wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Kriegler
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no problems with heavier games... as long as it doesn't put me over my luggage weight limit ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.