Popular Tags: recommendations [+] [View All]
Preston Fuller
United States
Ashland
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am putting together an online order and just looking for general comments.

Not Looking For: 2+ hour games, Co-Ops, train Games, abstracts, not a big "Fantasy" person.

Looking For: Games released or re-released in the last year or so. Twighlights Struggle, We The Pople and Memoir 44 have opened me up to light war gaming as well. Must be easily purchased on online game store.

No Player # restrictions (though I love a good and non-abstract 2 player)

My own collection list
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/viewcollection.php3?username=&d...

A Short list of games I am looking at, please comment

Medici vs. Strozzi
Elchfest
Mission Red Planet
Rum and Pirates (how does it play with two and is like Hansa?)
Vicktory II
Combat Commander Europe
Goldland
Pitch Car

Thanks ahead of time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
My suggestions from 2006 are:

Shogun
Space Dealer
Imperial
Gheos
Walhalla
Leonardo da Vinci
Thurn and Taxis
Yspahan
Der Elefant im Porzellanladen
Hermagor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Wilson
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Prestonisnormal wrote:
A Short list of games I am looking at, please comment

Medici vs. Strozzi
Elchfest
Mission Red Planet
Rum and Pirates (how does it play with two and is like Hansa?)
Vicktory II
Combat Commander Europe
Goldland
Pitch Car

I've played three of the above. Viktory II seems like it might be pushing the time restriction you have in mind, but for a territory conflict game it worked pretty well. (Note: I'm not a fan of high-conflict games, generally speaking.) Goldland I like a lot, as it tends to feed a couple of the things I look for in a game: resource manipulation (I need a shovel to get two rope, one of which I convert to wood, which I then use with the rope to complete the ravine adventure...) and racing (to the temple at the far corner). Pitchcar is a flicking race game. The low entry price for players (you just gotta know how to flick a disk) makes it a nice game for non-gaming sorts, and for younger folks.

Others I'd suggest include Ave Caesar , kind of light but fun chariot racing with opportunities to interfere with the other racers, and The Downfall of Pompeii , where players populate the city of Pompeii, and then flee when the volcano starts to erupt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i would second Shogun.

it's not 2 player, but it could be consider the perfect blend of light wargame and euro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Preston Fuller
United States
Ashland
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just two responses and I already hear my credit card screaming.
perfect, exactly what I was hoping for, new games that I have not heard of or at least I am taking a closer look at.

MW Chapel:
Gheos- You certainly helped me take a closer look and this looks solid. Have you played it? How is the scale in regard to player #'s

Yspahan-Never heard of it till now and looks nice.

Daw65:
Thanks for the comment on Goldland and Pompeii looks fun in that light easy game kind of way.

I should have stated that I would break the 2 hour rule for a good war game as long as it came in by 3 hours and was rather easy to explain in regard to rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Preston Fuller
United States
Ashland
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding Shogun,

I have always been a big Wally fan and I am hoping that few friends of mine will pick this one up for their collection.

that saves on the sticker shock of the order and frees me up to buy other games.

Can't wait for a friend of mine to own Shogun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt La Botz
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Viktory II, a must. Also look into Action Front Watchtower

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Shaw
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also second Imperial -- I think it beats the pants off of its predecessor, Antike, has a war/confrontational element that doesnt completely dominate the game (ie, is secondary to the primary goal of accumulating wealth), is strategic, and scales well (many say dont play more than 4 unless you want to risk a player "watching" a few rounds go by with no opportunity to take a turn for a country).

And Shogun is a MUST!!!!!!!!! Wow! Now I see what all the hub-bub was about in Wally.

Leaonardo da Vinci (already #75 in the rankings) is an excellent resource-management Euro with a built-in clock to have it easily come in under your time limit.

Watch out for Pillars of the Earth (Die Saulon de Erde or something like that -- already in the top 100 games with no American release) -- you can order the original from Boards and Bits, imported, and dowload the rules from BGG, or wait for the upcoming English production -- occasionally called "Caylus Lite," and getting great reviews here, though I havent played myself (on my wishlist).

Tide of Iron, coming next month, sounds like a great tactical WWII sim that many of us are looking forward to -- looks to be much better detail than M44, but listen to that credit card wail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Prestonisnormal wrote:

MW Chapel:
Gheos- You certainly helped me take a closer look and this looks solid. Have you played it? How is the scale in regard to player #'s

Yeah, I've played it a few times now. It's like Carcassonne with a bit more direct player interaction. It plays pretty fast, with little downtime. I've played it with 3 and 4 players and didn't notice a difference in play style. Haven't tried with 2 yet, so can't help you there. But it's a pretty cool game.

Yspahan I've played over a half dozen times. It's a dice game, but I think has interesting decisions to make, and different VP paths to take without making it feel like it's a complete luck fest. It is not. It plays super fast, and so far most people I've got to play it like it real well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thee Insidius Doktor Glaze & His Sidekick Donut Boy with the Amazing Monkeytime Dancers Ooh!
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I_have_heard_the_mermaids_singing,_each_to_each. I_do_not_think_that_they_will_sing_to_me... We_have_lingered_in_the_chambers_of_the_sea By_sea_girls_wreathed_with_seaweed_red_and_brown Till_human_voices_wake_us,_and_we_drown
mbmbmb
Preston -

Card Football: Premiere Edition is my favorite 20-minute game for two.

Power Grid is a recent classic that you really should consider. It has a lof different sub-games like acutions for plants, route-grabbing for control, strategic money management, managing turn-order, and and so on. And these sub-games combine into a fast and well-balanced whole.

Blue Moon City is a great game that proves Knizia can still turn out amazing games, and gives me hope that his best designs may still be yet to come!

Nexus Ops is on clearance still and is a perfect condensation of those long annoying empire games.

I've played half of the ones you list but cannot recommend any of them.

Good Luck Have Fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Shaw
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah -- and dont forget that Antiquity was reprinted -- wow -- big $$, smaller publisher, great game with lots of conflict when played well -- very easily scalable from 2-4, ranked very highly here by relatively few people (expensive and kinda "niche-y"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Viktory II & Combat Commander were two of my biggies for 2006

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Preston Fuller
United States
Ashland
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John,

I am terrified of your avatar. I feel like I am seeing inside the dreams of Thom York of Radiohead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Preston Fuller
United States
Ashland
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid is great and I have gaming friends that have it and Blue Moon as well. I have learned that on a minister's budget you have to let your friend's collection temper and satisfy your gaming temptations a bit devil

I have Nexus Ops, and for the price, you are very correct that it should go into a collection.

Imperial looks tasty.

Tide of Iron looks silly good for the future. My only concern is that it may be so good that I never touch my M44 collection again..

I know there are a ton of, "help me with my next order forums" but I really do look at what everyone puts on their list and it does help to expand my gaming world and place an order with a nice range of games for different moods.

Thanks for everything from everyone so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I had a plan...
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Preston,

To comment on the games on your list.

Elchfest
A fun light filler, but 2 player. If you think that you're going to want to bring this out with more people buy a second set and paint the moose, excuse me elch different colors. Don't forget that you will need to name the two new moose! I'm a sucker for flicking games.

Combat Commander
A fun game, but it it's taking me a while to get used to it. I think for someone who has played quite a few wargames, it's frustrating not being able to do what you want with the units if you don't have the cards. However that's something that I need to adapt to, it's not a game weakness. I don't think that you'd have the same problem. I don't believe that it is as luck driven as some claim. What I like about the game is that I think that the concepts and rules are simple enough that you can teach it to others who don't have a background in hex style wargames. The first couple of times that you play it will be with the rule book in your lap, but I think that it's worth the investment. It is not intimidating, and it is not overwhelming, the game rules are pretty aligned with common sense, there are not a lot of special exceptions.

Pitchcar
I have it's larger cousin Carabande and I've been pretty happy with it. It is never the centerpiece of a game night, it's always the opener or closer. This is a game that will play well with children and non-gamers. I don't know about Pitchcar, but Carabande scales to 8 well. This is a game that is actually more fun with more people. It wouldn't pull it out with 2 or 3, but with more definitely.

A couple of other thoughts.

Shogun
I've played Wallenstein, and will repeat in spades what others say about this game.

Friedrich
I've been wanting to get this on the table, but have not yet. It is a lighter wargame.

Tumblin' Dice
You seem to be looking at dexterity games, and this is in there with them. It turned out to be much more fun than I thought it would be. However it is big (think storage) and if you order it, make sure you get it from somewhere where you will have a lump sum for shipping. This sucker is heavy.

Kremlin
This is a little off the beaten path, and would have to be purchased via e-bay, but you've indicated that you like Survive. This is much meatier, but is all about purging your competition and sending them packing to the Gulag. We always have a hoot with this game, especially when talking with heavy russian accents.

Amun-Re, Ra, Hollywood Blockbuster
All worth taking a look at sometime, but these have an auction based mechanic, and I didn't see that in any of your top games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Shaw
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK -- this is the first time Ive even heard of Viktory II, so I followed the link from the game page, and just spent the last 1.5 hours looking through the uniquely personal and amazing journey the designer went through to home-produce this game. I also read some of the rules, watched the video, and promptly ordered a copy -- this looks positively amazing, and I truly credit the designer for a terrific look into his thoughts, sweat, and frustrations in independently producing this spectacular game.

Dont mean to hijack the thread, just wanted to comment, and thank the poster that suggested V2 -- cant wait to get it!! Thats what I get for just paying attention to the larger manufacturers/distributers, and then checking my trusty Thoughthammer for availability!

Even if you dont like "that kinda game" (I know I will), I highly recommend a read through his company's page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Preston Fuller
United States
Ashland
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No hijack complaint here. It is an amazing story and looks to be a very streamlined amalgamation of Risk and A&A without all the negatives they are associated with.

Did you get the 6 player or 4 player game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Preston Fuller
United States
Ashland
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just ordered the VII (4player) as well. It can't be purchased on thoughthammer so I went ahead and got it while exploring the rest of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Shaw
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the 6-player, not because I think I'll play with more than 4 often, but because I would like to have the extra tiles and pieces to really mess with the game -- the amount of land mass, water area, adding pirates (or other neutral "countries"), or whatever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.