Popular Tags: flgs [+] michigan [+] [View All]
Claudine McClean
United Kingdom
Leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

I'll be in SE Michigan soon, in a house with only Pictionary. I'd like to stock up a bit locally. Any recommendations for a decent game shop in Try, Royal Oak, Rochester Hills or even, gulp, Detroit?

Thanks

Edit: Windsor Ontario would be OK too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Store in Royal Oak/Troy MI
I havent been to it but, I have heard that RIW hobbies is one of the best stores here in Michigan. The location is Livonia

http://www.riwhobbies.net/index.php

Good luck!
Justin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every since Alcove Hobbies in Royal Oak disbanded, there really hasn't been anything. Any game shops, such as WOtC, that open in the mall...have all closed. There are VERY limited places. I know the Riders Hobbies on John R between 13 and 14 mile road has some games.
With the dissapearence of Brick and Mortor stores, I have had to do almost 100% shopping via internet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Carmouche
United States
Ferndale
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Rider's on John R is closing. They are having a 40% off sale -- but the boardgames have been pretty much cleared out. There is still a lot of hard cover RPG books in stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh no!!! there goes one of my R/C and train shops!!! Oh well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Thomas
United States
Alma
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MarvelNemesis wrote:
I havent been to it but, I have heard that RIW hobbies is one of the best stores here in Michigan. The location is Livonia

http://www.riwhobbies.net/index.php

Good luck!
Justin

I can't agree enough with this statement. RIW Hobbies is the best game shop in the metro Detroit area, hands down. Pam is the owner, and one of the best people you will ever meet. You can't go wrong spending your money in her shop.

www.riwhobbies.net

Corner of 5 Mile and Middlebelt in Livonia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good news Paul...its kind of near my mom and dads and my sister's....will have to check it out!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fairplay games isn't exactly local, but if you come to ROBA, you can get free delivery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Weinfurther
United States
West Bloomfield
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I might as well throw in my two cents about RIW Hobbies. I've never seen a larger and better selection of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shogren
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
There aren't that many game stores of much caliber in the Detroit area. The best (by word of mouth) is RIW as previously mentioned. If you want something less than 30-45 minutes drive from Troy, maybe try Old Guard Hobbies (Van Dyke Road, north of 15 mile). It's mostly a military model store, but they do stock a small selection of Euro games.

One of the best brick and mortar stores I know of "in the area" is 21st Century Comics - but by in the Area - I'm talking about Lansing. It actually has real games! but the unless you are going to Lansing, I'd try RIW first. FairPlay is mail order and very good (both stock and prices). If you know the timing of your trip well enough you can order and have it delivered to your destination.

While we lack good stores, we have lots of gamers. If you are slated to be in the area the last weekend in February (24th), consider stopping in at ROBA - its a local game group that usually nets 30+ people for all day gaming. PM for for info if the timing works with your schedule. If you are looking for a general game at some other time, I'm sure someone has something going on. Just ask.

Happy Gaming...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudine McClean
United Kingdom
Leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, I'll try and give RIW a go, it sounds like a top store with lots going on. It's a shame about Riders, I remember that, but as more of a modelling shop than a games one - always worth a browse and I remember leaving with with bags. I'll take a trip to Old Guard Hobbies, I'm visiting a history buff with a collection of little painted soldiers, so I'm sure that won't be a hard sell.

Lansing is a bit of a hike, I can't really justify a trip out there, and I'll be home by ROBA. I may bring a few games over from England to the poor deprived gamers in the colonies - seems a little silly at the current exchange rate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John (Jay) Gettel
United States
Brighton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Out in Howell is Heroquest. It's about 35 mins from Royal Oak.

They have a very good selection of boardgames, larger than most.

Check them out at http://www.heroquestcomics.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudine McClean
United Kingdom
Leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RIW is indeed excellent, after I'd convinced suburbanites that I was going to 5 Mile for games not crack. It seems that it's important to stipulate Livonia in the address. Friendly staff, plenty of them (tricky to tell staff from customers in many games shopes though), and a good selection of games, wonderfully priced at the current exchange rate.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Collins
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow? No ones mentioned Pandemonium., which has a larger collection than RIW and more multiple copies. I like Pam, but have never been impressed with their variety. Whereas even if Pandemonium doesn't have something, they can order it for you and have it in two days (next day if you order it in the morning).

http://www.pandemonium-online.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudine McClean
United Kingdom
Leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This time I'll be spending quite a bit of time in Ann Arbor around U of M. I'll have the $2 to £1 excitement burning a hole in my pocket. Any good stores in Ann Arbor?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Anderson
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just moved out of Michigan in May, and I would rank the stores in this order

1a. Heroquest
1b. RIW Hobbies
3. Pandemonium.

Both HeroQuest and RIW have fantastic owners.

Pam (RIW) is very knowledgable in all Collectable games (Magic, HeroClix, Etc), and keeps a great selection of Board Games. IMHO, their Classic Minature game selection is lacking, but thats pretty common. They have some space for in store play, but its the smallest of the three.

Nate (HeroQuest) is a very enthusastic owner, and also keeps a great selection of Board Games. HeroQuest also keeps Comics, so if you are a TrueBeliever(TM), you can satisfy both of your needs in one store. He runs a frequent buyer program called a "Loyalty" card that gives you a discount for every $100 you spend in the store. Again, the Classic Minature game selection is lacking, but the Board Game, and Collectable stock is just as good as RIW. They have more space for In-Store play than RIW (or so i've heard, the store expanded after I left).

Pandemonium has a ton of space for in store play, but their board game selection is terrible. The have the best stock of Classic Minature games of the three stores, and keeps a good stock of Collectable games. I don't get the same enthusiam from the owners/employees of Pandemonium that I get from Pam (RIW) and Nate (HeroQuest) and thats a drawback.

You can't go wrong with RIW or HeroQuest. I lived in Redford, and while I preferred HeroQuest, I actually spent more money at RIW due to its location which was 5 mins from my house, opposed to the 1 hour for HeroQuest. For my recommendation, I would pick the one that is closest to your home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.