designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike: won
Lewis: 2nd
Eric: 3rd
Mark: 4th
Vitas: 5th
Chip: 6th

We played with two boards and three checkpoints (starting at checkpoint 1). We played with unlimited lives, starting virtual robots, but returning to play real. Each player started with an option.
I made the fatal mistake of knowingly placing myself under a crusher right before it went off. For some reason (temporary insanity?) I thought that it was like a laser beam and, as I hadn't taken any damage thus far, I figured I could afford to take a hit or two (or eight). My delusions of invulnerability cost me any chance of competing, but did provide for some cheap entertainment.
Mike planned very well, and deserved his win, although he was lucky with the options.
I feel the options are unbalanced in this game; they seem to be either very useful or completely worthless. I would argue that a game without options would be just as interesting without some needless complexity (and rules-confusion).
To me, RoboRally is like an abusive relationship. I'm always excited about playing it, but afterwards I feel kind of used and resentful. I'm sure there's a good configuration of this game, but I'm not sure what it is, or if I could get anyone to play with me. I'd like to try an option-less 2-team capture-the-flag version of this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Session Report
FlyingSheep (#20187),
I believe the German version doesn't include options, so you're not the only one to think of ditching them!
I'm interested in the capture-the-flag idea, but I wonder if it would work with the flags in two different places, which could bring balance issues, and with robots able to sit and guard the flag. Maybe robots couldn't come within a certain number of squares of their flag's starting space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Session Report
FlyingSheep (#20187) and all,

try this site to get thoroughly abused at Roborally. :-)
www.eyeplaygames.com

Happy Gaming,
Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.