Popular Tags: kids [+] children [+] [View All]
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

My son came home today after being given a project to design a game based around Perseus' adventures. His class partner (and the rest of the class) haven't had the exposure to games that he has had. His teacher has steered everyone's ideas into the 'roll & move' direction and his class partner is an agressive child that only wants his own ideas used.

Result: He's not partucularly happy about the assignment.

Solution: I have said that we can work on something at home that he can take into school as a side project.

My son wants to focus on the Medusa and Kraken battles.

What I'm looking for are ideas. We have to keep it simple for the target audience (9 year old non-gamers) and we haven't decided whether or not to have a board.

My son's ideas so far involved collecting the items (cards) that Perseus will use in battle and then using them in a sort of Rock/Paper/Scissors battle style.

If anyone has any good ideas to share we would be happy to hear them.

Thanks

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Felice
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a quick idea off the top of my head, for a Perseus vs. Medusa game.

2 players, each with their own deck of cards (one Medusa and one Perseus). The cards are all numbered from 0 to 10, and are labeled either Attack or Defend. For flavor you could name them after various items or abilities like "Sword of Perseus - 6" or "Medusa's Gaze - 8" or "Shield Block - 5".

Players would start with 7 cards each.

For each turn, the players would lay 3 cards face down in front of them representing the Head, Torso, and Legs of the player. Like so:

P(H) P(T) P(L)
M(H) M(T) M(L)

P= Perseus, M= Medusa, and H, T, and L are Head, Torso, and Legs.

The players could play AT MOST one attack card per turn, the other two must be defense. Or they could play 3 defense if they wish (or do not have any attack in their hand).

Players both reveal their cards at the same time. Each location is scored one at a time. If both cards at a location (head for example) are attack cards, BOTH players take damage equal to the attack score of the opponent's card. If both are defense, nothing happens. If one is defense and the other is attack, if the attack number is higher, then the defender takes damage equal to the difference between the cards.

Example:

5(a) 7(d) 9(d)
3(d) 6(a) 5(d)

In this case, the Perseus player on the top scores 2 damage (at the head location) against the Medusa player. The Medusa player scores no damage against perseus since her attack is lower than his defense.

The cards are then discarded. Players may also discard one additional card from their hand, and then draw to get their total to 7.

The first player to score 20 points wins. If both players pass 20 on the same turn, the player who scores the most wins. If it's a tie, another round is played until there's a winner.

It should be a fairly easy game to play, as it's mostly random. And it should be fairly easy to make, except for coming up with the designs of the cards. I guess that'd be the most challenging part of making this game, making up however many cards you decide are needed (I'd say 30 per player, 10 attack and 20 defense, but it may require more). But if you don't get fancy with artwork and the like, it could be as easy as coming up with the names for the cards, and numbering them 0 to 10. So long as each side has the same distribution of cards, it should be fairly balanced. Yeah, it's pretty much all luck-based, but at least that makes it accessible to 9-year-old non-gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Killoran
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a gamer, I understand your son's frustration with the roll-and-move limitation. As a teacher, I understand the need for an easy to understand system that all students can play without excessive rules explanations. To me, the obvious solution is to borrow ideas from roll-and-move games that are actually good. Three that spring to mind right away are:

Careers: This would probably mesh best with your son's collection idea. Before the game, students choose a "victory formula" (swords, helmets, shields?) and travel multiple paths to assemble the combination needed to defeat the monsters. Add experience cards if you want more movement control.

Zapp Zerapp!: Film canisters and BB's should work here. Instead of a circular track, I would consider one long linear race with special spaces that confer a bonus (helmet, sword, shield?)on the first player to land there by exact count. Bonus items aid in a dice-based "attack" that players must make at the end to defeat the monster.

Can't Stop!: A push your luck element should work well in a roll-and-move race. A straight mock-up could include a prize to be won at the top of each column (hmmm...you need 11 things. Perhaps add fair Andromeda to the usual assortment of swords, helmets, and shields.) The same push your luck idea could be applied to a standard single track game, where a player may continue to roll untill they "crap out" on a certain result.

Please let us know how this project turns out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few years back we made a game as a book review of "The Littles."

It was roll and move, but we spiced it up with dice other than six-sided, some alternate paths and some challenges. One that I remember was using a magnet to fish through a box of blue transparent stones to pull out your reward.

If my gamer kids had had the same assignment, it might have been a more interesting game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    I think your son has a good idea going -- a two phase game leaps to mind. In phase one Perseus gathers materials. As he does it, Medusa becomes stronger and the Kraken travels to the cliff. The longer Perseus gathers, the tougher he gets, but the tougher it will be to defeat Medusa and then the Kraken.

Phase 2 is some fairly simple mechanic to defeat the Kraken before it's too late.

Sword and armor (and in particular that reflective shield) could be cards in phase 1, or spaces that he has to reach via "roll and move." Perseus stays gathering as long as he dares.

Defeating the Kraken could be roll dice and injure ala hit points, where his gathered items add to his damage. The Kraken need merely continue his journey to the cliff before Perseus racks up a big enough total to stop him.

Fundamentally a race game, with some cards in the mix for luck. Maybe something like that.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xman@pcisys.net wrote:
Can't Stop!: A push your luck element should work well in a roll-and-move race. A straight mock-up could include a prize to be won at the top of each column (hmmm...you need 11 things. Perhaps add fair Andromeda to the usual assortment of swords, helmets, and shields.) The same push your luck idea could be applied to a standard single track game, where a player may continue to roll untill they "crap out" on a certain result.

Please let us know how this project turns out!

Firstly, a big thanks to everyone who's replied so far.

The Can't Stop idea is excellent and as he is a fan of that game I think it could be an easy sell to him. It will be easy to mock up a board, add some art to it and laminate it for a nice finish.

And to think he was skeptical when I said my fellow BGGers would help him out.

Thanks again.

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon craddock
United Kingdom
widnes
cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will we be be play testing this on Monday night James?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
simon craddock wrote:
Will we be be play testing this on Monday night James?

Only after we've added the auction and resource management elements.....

although that cube tower could be good for the Perseus/Medusa battle ninja

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Hmm, RPS, brilliant. It does seem to me to fit the Medusa battle. Here's what I could come up with that would fit the myth. I haven't thought out if it would make a good game.

Perseus's options would be:

A) look at Medusa and strike
B) strike blindly without looking
C) use the mirror shield, if he has acquired it

Medusa's options would be:

1) look at Perseus and strike
2) strike blindly without looking

A x 1 = Perseus sees Medusa's eyes and is turned to stone.
A x 2 = Perseus scores a hit (kill?) against Medusa.
B x 1 = Medusa scores a hit (kill?) against Perseus.
B x 2 = Perseus scores a hit (kill?) against Medusa. Perseus is the better warrior in a straight fight, so he wins when both are striking blindly.
C x 1 = Medusa sees her own eyes in the mirror and is turned to stone
C x 2 = no effect
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Actually, according to the myth, seeing Medusa in the mirror wouldn't turn someone to stone, so it wouldn't turn Medusa to stone if she saw herself in it. But if not, it doesn't make for very good RPS mechanics, since Medusa would always want to look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
morningstar wrote:
Actually, according to the myth, seeing Medusa in the mirror wouldn't turn someone to stone, so it wouldn't turn Medusa to stone if she saw herself in it. But if not, it doesn't make for very good RPS mechanics, since Medusa would always want to look.

Yet, in many myths, she is destroyed by seeing herself in a mirror or shield.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.