Popular Tags: geekmod [+] photos [+] [View All]
Donald Wilbur III
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From my (short) experience modding and from reading some of the threads here I get the feeling that there might be some misunderstanding as to the standards for approving/denying an image.

Here are the listed reasons for denying an image:
1) Spam - in my experience this has never come up.
2) Corrupt - I've had one of these
3) Duplicate - I've had one of these
4) Blurry - This is one of the most common reasons for me denying an image. And I don't feel the least bit guilty when I do it. If it's not worth your time and effort to make sure the image is in focus, it's certainly not worth my time and effort to approve it.
5) Badly Cropped - Less common than blurry, but I've seen several.
6) Badly Rotated - I've seen a couple.
7) Offensive - none in my experience
8) Too Small - none in my experience
9) Too Similar - this is one of the hardest to decide on. I tend to give the image a break if there aren't very many images for the game, but the 12th picture of people playing game X will probably get denied.
10) Over/Under exposed - Another fairly common problem, images aren't very useful if you can't make out what they are.
11) Wrong game - I saw this once, probably an easy mistake to make.
12) Irrelevant - I suspect this is the one that pisses the most people off, so I'm very careful on this. It really has to be out in left field for my to deny it on this basis. On the other hand if you post a picture of a cat in a box, expect me to deny it. This is not Cat Game Geek.
13) Bad Glare - Way too many of these. A word of advice: don't take pictures of games on a glass table. You might manage a few without any glare, but it's hard.
14) Other - I've sworn never to use this.

The guidelines recommend against denying for a few reasons:
1) Modified components are okay - don't deny on this basis.
2) Tangentially related images are okay, specifically people playing games. I also go easy on creative images of game pieces, but I've seen most of my fellow modders don't.
3) It doesn't matter how many images the game has so don't deny saying it has too many. But this doesn't contradict the check-off against similar images.

Finally the guildlines say something to the effect: If it's a good picture, give it a break, let it slide on one of the above. (My paraphrasing). I definitely do this, but I'm not sure my fellow modders always do.

It looks like only about 30% of images submitted are denied (and many of those are really bad). I'm a couple of percentage points more generous than that and I suspect that's fairly common. On all but a very few images I've seen declined I could guess why they were even if I disagreed. With the new modding formula, it's clear that the admin don't want lousy images approved. (If I played modding as a game I'd deny every single picture, that's where the rewards are).

The good news is that I am constantly impressed by people who submit excellent images to the 'Geek on games common and obscure. Keep sending me good pictures and I'll keep approving them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Hansson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like more pictures are declined now after the change in GeekGold reward. However, almost all images that I have seen declined have so far been pretty bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gilesclone wrote:
From my (short) experience modding and from reading some of the threads here I get the feeling that there might be some misunderstanding as to the standards for approving/denying an image.

Ditto

gilesclone wrote:

2) Corrupt - I've had one of these

I see at least one every day or two. Seems indicative of upload problem.

gilesclone wrote:

3) Duplicate - I've had one of these

A few of these, too. But they don't happen very often because the image submission software will kick out uploads of an identical image.

gilesclone wrote:

4) Blurry - This is one of the most common reasons for me denying an image. And I don't feel the least bit guilty when I do it. If it's not worth your time and effort to make sure the image is in focus, it's certainly not worth my time and effort to approve it.
6) Badly Rotated - I've seen a couple.

Plenty of all of the above, especially blurry.

gilesclone wrote:

7) Offensive - none in my experience

Ditto.

gilesclone wrote:

I've seen these on occassion, but they are rare.

gilesclone wrote:

9) Too Similar - this is one of the hardest to decide on. I tend to give the image a break if there aren't very many images for the game, but the 12th picture of people playing game X will probably get denied.

These are hard to judge, but it seems other modders are making this call more often with the new decline policy. There have been several images I've approved which have had nothing obivous wrong with them

gilesclone wrote:

10) Over/Under exposed - Another fairly common problem, images aren't very useful if you can't make out what they are.
11) Wrong game - I saw this once, probably an easy mistake to make.
12) Irrelevant - I suspect this is the one that pisses the most people off, so I'm very careful on this. It really has to be out in left field for my to deny it on this basis. On the other hand if you post a picture of a cat in a box, expect me to deny it. This is not Cat Game Geek.
13) Bad Glare - Way too many of these. A word of advice: don't take pictures of games on a glass table. You might manage a few without any glare, but it's hard.

Agreed.

What we need, though, is a way to reject those hi-res, copyright violating counter sheet scans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramon Garcia
Philippines
Pasig
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bill_andel wrote:
gilesclone wrote:

Ditto

I actually do this a lot with single shots of cards. A solo shot of the most powerful card/cards is fine but shots of random cards which could have been compiled into a shot of several cards at once... that's just fishing for extra GG. Why post a picture of every "something" card in the game when you could post a picture with 10 "something" cards in it.

bill_andel wrote:
gilesclone wrote:

I've seen these on occassion, but they are rare.

I've seen several that were even smaller than the thumbnails. Usually shots of individual markers.

bill_andel wrote:
gilesclone wrote:

These are hard to judge, but it seems other modders are making this call more often with the new decline policy. There have been several images I've approved which have had nothing obivous wrong with them

I usually allow one picture of a group of people playing a game, just because people are happy to share their enjoyment of a game. Just 1 photo, though, the others I would decline. This only applies to those shots which actually show the players and where the game they're playing is visible enough.

Pictures of set-up boards, I usually decline unless there are none available yet. I also usually decline end-game shots since those are better as session reports, anyway.

bill_andel wrote:
What we need, though, is a way to reject those hi-res, copyright violating counter sheet scans.

This one I was not aware of, I usually approve them so that people who've lost counters can recreate them. So, I'm guilty of that... but would reject them when I come across them if that's the rule (also worth .09 more GG to follow the rules on that )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Spode
United States
Melbourne
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I cannot scan instructions for submission but can components such as cards be scanned?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How do I report images, or tag them for modding, or whatever?

I ask because I noticed two of the images on the Endor page are from Battle For Endor, a completely different game. Including the representative image.

Endor:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/6080

Battle For Endor:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/3594

Misplaced images:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/123004
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/123003

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lordkuato wrote:

I actually do this a lot with single shots of cards. A solo shot of the most powerful card/cards is fine but shots of random cards which could have been compiled into a shot of several cards at once... that's just fishing for extra GG. Why post a picture of every "something" card in the game when you could post a picture with 10 "something" cards in it.

You mean like this?:

I wondered why they wouldn't just put all four in one picture but then in reading people talk about images, I discovered that for some strange reason, there are a LOT of people that just loooooooooooove really close-up pictures of components.

Never quite understood why people think close-up pictures are so good but to each their own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Hello.
badge
Welcome to my secret message.
mbmbmbmbmb
I notice lately that a lot of people don't know the difference between "blurry" and a picture where the photographer artistically set a depth-of-field.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Wareing
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
BlackSheep wrote:

I ask because I noticed two of the images on the Endor page are from Battle For Endor, a completely different game. Including the representative image.

Ditto. Somebody approved

for Tortoise and the Hare Board Game today, despite it being the cover of Hare & Tortoise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H.C. O'Neill
United States
Bethel
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found I've had to use the "other" field far too often to cover people scanning the rules book pages... particularly the table of contents. It says right on upload page not to upload scans of the rules book. Yet there's no field for that one.

I've also used "other" for images that were saved too low res or were clearly viewed at the wrong size when saved. Those are the images that when you see the compressed preview look okay, you click on the full size, its full of jpg artifacts. That says to me that the person was looking at it onscreen at something like a 25% view and saved it that way, so honestly just didn't see the artifacts. They're not precisely corrupt, they're not really 'blurry' but if they're covered in jpg artifacts, that's not right either. It's really just an issue of 'resize this and save this at a slightly higher quality'.

I do try and put detailed reasons for the reject in the comments box. If it's underexposed, I'll suggest running Levels in the program they're using. Not everybody knows instinctively HOW to fix it, so I figure the hint helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackSheep wrote:

Either send a geekmail to an admin.
Or use the 'submit a correction' button in the upper right of the game page and report it in the 'Other' field.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Wareing
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ta. That was easy ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Hello.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I saw this thread and deleted it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Wareing
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
Yeah, I saw this thread and deleted it.

It's still the representative image, y'know

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Hello.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're probably seeing a cached page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H.C. O'Neill
United States
Bethel
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny that 'too small' is one people list as not being one they see much. I just hit "decline: too small" on about six in a row. From the size on 'em I'd say they were snagged as thumbnails or auction photos form elsewhere and weren't even taken by the person that uploaded them. If they're been close to size I would have let it slide, but there were well under minimum size.

Somedays I swear people are playing the "can I get it past the modders" game. Or just not reading guidelines at all before uploading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Hello.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, for cripes sake, user "michamie" has been submitting tons of pictures today, many of which are for the wrong game. Worse yet, they're getting approved! Pay attention, modders!

EDIT: Furthermore, many of the images are not even of board games, they're of computer games/books that happen to have the same name. Seriously, wake up modders! I've deleted over 15 of the images that got approved today. User has been banned from uploading further images.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
United States
San Diego area
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gilesclone wrote:

This is probably my most common reason for declining an image. A significant number of submissions come through with an acre of kitchen table or carpet on all sides of the game/component.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Fischer
United States
Wheat Ridge
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I notice lately that a lot of people don't know the difference between "blurry" and a picture where the photographer artistically set a depth-of-field.

The problem is that the modder may not agree that the artistry attempted was accomplished. What is one man's art is another man's blurry picture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H.C. O'Neill
United States
Bethel
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll generally let screenshots of an online interface for playing the listed game go through, so long as there's not already one in the database.

I generally only think there should be one screen shot for each program in the database unless there's a significant upgrade that changes layout or there's several subscreens. Letting one for each program through is reasonable since it lets people decide which version they'd most like to use.

It does tell people something important about the game- that there is a way to play it online! For more obscure games, that can be important. You may never be able to find someone to play it with you in person, but if there's an online version, well, it doesn't matter if you live in a town with 12 people, so long as you have internet!

Past the first "hey, here's an interface" shot, then I start hitting decline. Unless it conveys some additional data that would be relevant between picking between players, its no longer useful.

Consider it sort of like picking between editions of a game that got a bunch of cosmetic changes each edition. Pictures that illustrate the different editions may be relevant when you go to pick a specific ed. (like you want the edition with the wooden rather than plastic bits. Photograph illustrating the differences would thus be helpful)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    I couldn't do it.

Another Catan board made out of cookies just came through geek mod. I wanted to axe it, but I knew someone had put a lot of work into those cookies and wanted their chance to see them on a web site. But I couldn't accept it either. It would be, like, the fifteenth food entry for Settlers of Catan.

Would it kill someone to make Dvonn cookies instead?

So I skipped it. I left the dirty work to someone else. I'm so ashamed.

Sag.

P.S. It was approved. Sigh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.