Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Kwiatek
United States
Saltsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been considering a business venture for a few years now. I'm in Pennsylvania, but don't worry about geography for the moment. What I'm wondering is how much interest would there be in small, local gaming weekends. Allow me to describe briefly what I have in mind-

A small campus with dorms, dining hall, gym, and pool
Arrive Friday afternoon
Game - a lot
Leave Sunday afternoon

We have no concept of price yet.

I am just trying to get a feel for how many people would be interested in something like this and what you would want to happen if you attended. of course you are making no commitment by saying your are interested, since it doesn't even exist. Think of this as a market study.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet! I would love to do that! Assuming I have the nessessary transporation and advance notice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be honest here: That sounds like something I'd like to do, but would never actually do because of time & money issues.

There's a US go congress which is a 1 week getaway to play go all week (basically a gaming con where only one game is played). I've been twice and had great times. But that's twice in 6 years...and I so badly want to go this year, but my a family reunion is the same week. Plus it's a lot of money just to play go.

Probably, your project would be the same...I'd hear about it, want to go, but finding both a free weekend and the money to go would be unlikely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hey brad,

i've considered similiar concepts. recently my wife and i went to mystic ct for an overnight getaway. the hotel we stayed at was fairly cheap, and was really nice for what we paid.

i noticed there was a group of youth wrestlers there for the weekend,
using the conference rooms. Which got me to thinking that something like this would be perfect for a smallish gamecon.

i think like some other posters have commmented, if the price and time is right they'll consider it. running an event can be very stressful for the organizer and often results in the organizer not really being able to enjoy the event. i used to promo parties in nyc while in college and it's a tough racket keeping things on track and making sure the night is running smoothly. But i would imagine that a smaller group of gamers say under 50, probably could be manage_able.
The other factor, especially in lieu of bgg.con's huge library, is where are the games going to come from.

What's the location you are looking at/what's the timing you are looking at? Ie, some more details would be great. Being on the eastcoast and able to drive someplace certainly makes it more inviting to me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    I think this would be a great idea, especially at an off-season hotel. A mini-con. No scheduled events, nothing provided. Just a meet-up.

I'm too old for dorms -- I want something a bit more cushy. But maybe a golf hotel in winter or a ski hotel in summer might give a good rate if they know they'll book 25 rooms that would otherwise be empty.

Don't abandon the dorm idea though, as a lot of young poor people are here on the geek.

I've considered doing this myself, but just an "invitation of friends" kind of thing. Never have gotten around to it. Rocky Gap near Cumberland, MD was location #1 I had in mind, Netherlands Inn & Spa in Lancaster was my #2. I'd do it here in Annapolis but there is no off-season and the town is very short of hotel rooms so there's never a discount opportunity.

Put me on your list as "interested." A weekend or maybe a three day thing would be great.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done this kind of thing quite a bit. The weekends may start Thursday night, and go on until Sunday.

I've done it where one person hosts space in their large house and people crash either in the basement, backyard in tents, or in local hotels as space/money permits. (A HouseCon).

I've also done it where we rent a single room in a hotel and people stay in the hotel. That is what the Niagara Falls Boardgame weekend that is coming up (Feb. 8-11) is - basically, a mini-con.

Usually, these are focused on open gaming, with bring-your-own games. There might be small tournaments, but few sign up games.

I would love to do this type of thing in a cabin-style environment on a lake somewhere; that would be great.

This is my favorite type of gaming event. The larger gatherings are nice but overwhelming at times. I really like something smaller where you can get to know everyone who is there.

So, yes, I'm interested, and I'm just north of PA up in Syracuse, New York.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would this be a couples only type of thing? And if not, what would seperate it from a small con experience?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I'm not anywhere near Pennsylvania.

A friend and I had thought of something like this for one specific purpose - completing an 8-player game of Twilight Imperium with the Shattered Empire expansion, which allows it for the first time. So I might go to something like that for that purpose. Otherwise not. There are enough game nights and days in my area to satisfy me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Maddening
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's one up here in the midwest called Omegacon (http://www.omegacon.net). It's a "relaxacon", which is what a lot of folks who run sci-fi cons attend in their offtime. Very little programming, but food & drink, movies, and boardgaming. Lots of boardgaming. There is a huge table in the main room that is just stacked high with boardgames that people bring to share over the weekend.

Yeah, so contact a hotel, see how many rooms you need to fill to get function space, and go nuts! It's a blast!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Kwiatek
United States
Saltsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to thank everyone for their comments. This has made my decision all the more confusing! I never even thought of comparing it or competing with things like COScon or local gatherings. It was always more of a getaway in my eyes.

Would you want more proctored games or more free time for games?
A mixture of RPG, Mini, and Board?

What would make it worthwhile?

~bk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Agyar900 wrote:
I want to thank everyone for their comments. This has made my decision all the more confusing! I never even thought of comparing it or competing with things like COScon or local gatherings. It was always more of a getaway in my eyes.

Would you want more proctored games or more free time for games?
A mixture of RPG, Mini, and Board?

What would make it worthwhile?

~bk

I'd tell everyone to show up with a bag of games and be ready to sit down and play. Maybe have everyone wear a carnation so they can pick each other out in the dining room in the morning. People will sort themselves out -- organizers, teachers, players, and of course that one turd guy that no one wants to sit next to.

If you want to throw a convention that's great, but you're opening up a can of work. Otherwise I'd just make it a meet-up. Pick a weekend and a place and get the word out to see who shows up. Find an off-season location to keep the cost down and if you don't ask for services they'll likely toss you a room for just a few bucks.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.