james schweig
United States
SAN FRANCISCO
California
flag msg tools
I bought this for no reason
mbmbmbmbmb

I own the old edition and was wondering how hard would it be to convert my old edition to the new edition. I have the Polish edition with Chopin and such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Extremely difficult.
Probably unbalanced.
Not worth your time doing so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on what you mean by converting your old edition to the new edition...

changing the order of production/corruption? not hard. just look at any of the posted images for the number of slots for resources.

using the common tactics? trivial. just play the new way.

taking away the option to sacrifice troops? trivial. just play the new way.

changing the rule where you can toss cards for +1 military strength but can only play cards equal to your military actions? see above

changing the rule where when you replace a leader you get an action back? see above

changing the rule where you reduce the political cards at the end of the turn instead of the beginning? see above

using the new cards? good luck. There are lots of changes, additions, deletions, etc. I suppose if you could get a copy of all the new cards, you could create them via a PnP, but that seems like a lot of work. Honestly, if you want the new cards, I think you're going to need to get the new edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james schweig
United States
SAN FRANCISCO
California
flag msg tools
I bought this for no reason
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think I could keep the special cards in the polish edition and just put them in the new edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dyvim tanelorn
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a copy of the old edition, all the cards were sleeved. A big part of the cards changed for the new edition. For a large amount of cards, I unsleeved, put a post-it with corrections, sleeved again. For the cards that changed much or for the cards that were put in spite of other cards, I printed a mockup and put it in the sleeve above the old card. I've also had to put a patch on the players boards, because the zone of corruption changed.

For the corrections I've used the list of cards on bgg, for the correction on the player mats you can download the new rules and see what changed.

It is much work, but is doable. I did it because I don't have many occasions to play this game, and I have already put much money in the old edition to justify the purchasing of the new one, but I wanted to have the more balanced version of the game.

It took me many hours to do it, but if you write with a sharpie directly on cards, in spite of putting corrections on post-it, cutting and putting on the cards, I think it can be done in not much hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Kolczynski
United States
College Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
philosophant wrote:
Do you think I could keep the special cards in the polish edition and just put them in the new edition?

The Salt Mine might be overpowered giving two blue cubes, but otherwise they should work. However, the card size has changed, so you won't be able to shuffle them into the deck directly.

If you are really thinking about upgrading your game, the best thing would be to check out the conversion guide I posted https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/124457/through-ages-card-... (it is a LOT of cards) and make the determination yourself whether it is worth it to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.