Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Bartels
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep reading posts in which people are talking about a 6 x 3 playing area. However, as I read the manual, the playing area is supposed to be 4 x 3 with the extra 1 foot on both sides simply being for cards, dice, etc. Is this correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul B
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
The official playing area is 3x3 for the core set. For 300 or 400 point engagements (not the 180 that is the coreset) the proper playing area is 6x3. You can add any space you'd like on any side for cards, tokens, and other stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rayne Smith
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The setup area is 4x3, the play area is 6x3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
elitusprime
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Man, Sub-creator, the refracted Light through whom is splintered from a single White to many hues, and endlessly combined in living shapes that move from mind to mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking for some crowd wisdom.

How big of a deal do you think it is (and will be in the future) to have the full playing area?

I'm planning on building a new gaming table, and am debating the importance of making sure it can handle 6x3. It would make my game room more cramped, and I only foresee the extra table space being needed for Armada.

I mostly play with my kids, and don't plan on participating in organized play. We've got seven games of Armada in since release... but we do really enjoy the game so it should see slow but steady play for years to come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you plan on hosting official FFG tournaments, build whatever size table fits your needs and space! Sure, having a full 6x3 space is nice - but it is not going to make or break this game (or ruin the experience).

That being said, if you ever attempt 600, 800, or even 1000 point games ... you are going to need all of the table space you can muster!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
East Windsor
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you making a new table for this, I would recommend trying to find a way to extend it to 3x6 when needed. Maybe try making 2x 3x4 tables that latch together (to form 4x6). Only use the second table when it is required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Atkinson
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
Scruffy Looking Nerf-Herder
mbmbmbmbmb
We're playing 500 point games, possibly going to boost to 600 soon, and the 6x3 space is nearly perfect. If we did a 1000 point game we'd probably want a 6x4 or 7x4.

Anyhow, those are my thoughts on the subject.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PuntSpeedchunk wrote:
Unless you plan on hosting official FFG tournaments, build whatever size table fits your needs and space! Sure, having a full 6x3 space is nice - but it is not going to make or break this game (or ruin the experience).

That being said, if you ever attempt 600, 800, or even 1000 point games ... you are going to need all of the table space you can muster!

At the moment 5x3 is fine for 400 point matches (all the space I have)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael dorazio
United States
Tyngsboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming I got this right, here's a clarification (I found the terms confusing, initially).

Play Area (6x3) is the entirety of "space" where ships, squadrons, obstacles, objective markers, possibly etc. can be during the game. Consider it the game board. Probably your entire table.

Setup Area (4x3) is simply the initial deployment portion of that board. After setting up all the pieces the Setup Area has no relevance.

Where you store cards and defense tokens and stuff is not dictated by these terms. You can store them in an unpopulated area of space in a galaxy far, far away ... or on side tables as you see fit. During my first game I also thought the 1' on either side of the setup area was for storage - NOPE. You fly over there if you want. I think these ideas were explained poorly in the rulebooks.

Hope this helps ... and that I got it right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cradleofmilk wrote:
I think these ideas were explained poorly in the rulebooks.

Page 10 of the Rules Reference Guide, Setup. Also see Play Area (page 9) and Setup Area (page 10). It is very clear, IMO. The only thing that might not be clear is 400 point games, as they are not explicitly referenced there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael dorazio
United States
Tyngsboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found those sections worded very poorly. Certainly not clear to me. I can see from the forums that I'm not alone. For example, using "setup area" and "play area" as terms was confusing and counterintuitive for me. Those terms come with connotations that distort the intentions of the rules ... unless those are conventional terms in miniature wargames (I haven't played any before).

I think my explanation is many times clearer than the ones in the sections you cite. The tone and word choice would have to be altered to fit those of the Armada rulebook, of course. As they say, your light years may vary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Play Area
The play area is the shared space occupied by ships, squadrons, obstacle tokens and objective tokens. The recommended play area is... 3' x 6' for a 300 (FAQ amended to 400) point game.

It then goes on to explain that any ship or squadron that ends movement with it's base off the play area is Destroyed.

I can't figure out what's confusing about that. Setup then instructs you to clear a 3'x6' Play Area, and mark off the "Setup Area" of 3'x4' to define where you are allowed to set up obstacles, objectives, and the players' fleets. Once all setup is complete, it says to remove the setup area markers from the play area. No where does it modify the initial 3'x6' Play Area during setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael dorazio
United States
Tyngsboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear you. I've read posts for a variety of games where people claim confusion when I can't see any.

I'm currently on the other side of the podium!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a couple of confusing rules i Armada, but I always thought the Play Area was pretty clearly spelled out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cradleofmilk wrote:
I hear you. I've read posts for a variety of games where people claim confusion when I can't see any.

I'm currently on the other side of the podium!

Oh, I've been confused on nearly every part of the rules, but a vast majority of the time it's because I didn't actually read them carefully. Or at all, sometimes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex G
Canada
flag msg tools
cradleofmilk wrote:
I found those sections worded very poorly. Certainly not clear to me. I can see from the forums that I'm not alone. For example, using "setup area" and "play area" as terms was confusing and counterintuitive for me. Those terms come with connotations that distort the intentions of the rules ... unless those are conventional terms in miniature wargames (I haven't played any before).

I think my explanation is many times clearer than the ones in the sections you cite. The tone and word choice would have to be altered to fit those of the Armada rulebook, of course. As they say, your light years may vary.

What's so confusing about this?
Setup area is where you set up. Play area is where you play. It is very intuitive that you can't just set up your starting fleet anywhere in a play field.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.