Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Lott
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me just start off by saying, it's been forever since I have played this but the other day, after watching some twilight imperium being implayed I was wanting to play this again. I may get some things wrong, but I will do my best.

Throneworld is based on a another game, and is a sci-fi conquer the universe type game. Each player plays a race, trying to take over the remains of a once mighty galatic empire. All players start on the firinge of the former empire, and work their way towards the center, Throneworld. As they expand they will run into their neighbors and face interstellar conflicts.

Lets start off by going over the components:

Map: Hmm... nothing impressive here. It is functional to the extreeme. The map is a roughly circular shape made up of large hexes 40-50 ish. Each hex has a space for 'scans' space forces, ground forces, and the planet marker itself. The art is not very impressive, but will do.

Counters/Units: Are similar to the map in quality, 'standard' wargame pieces, old school style. The art is definetly nothing to be impressed by, functional at best.

Other: See above.

Components: C - (definetly could of been done better, even for a cardboard counter wargame.)

Rules/Play Summary:

Throneworld has each player controlling a race, each race having an advantage, some are better in space, other ground, others in technology.
Each player can increase there technology, giving them a bonus to their rolls in combat, or further range in either communications or space travel. The map as mentioned above is divided into large hexes with each hex being a system. At the beginning of the game, each hex has a marker put on it, these markers are kept secret till a player scouts out the system.

The markers come in diffrent levels, the fringe which makes up the outer most systems, the outer and the inner systems, and the throneworld which has a whole set of markers just for itself. Each marker has the economic value and forces that are on that planet. Unlike most games in this genre, you have to conquer almost every planet you want to 'colonize', and in general the more difficult the planet the more economic value, and the closer to the throneworld, the more economic value a planet has. These neutral forces can be quite difficult espically if they happen to have highlevels of technology.

To conquer a planet you must not only defeat and defending space fleet, but conquer the forces on the ground (note you can defeat the forces on the ground with out getting the spacefleet and still win, but see below). In space there are several types of craft:

blasters - Your basic battle ship
protectors - A mix of carrier/cruiser
mothership - A carrier
fighters - Your typical light mass attack fighter
and orbiting planents you can have shields - no real fire power, but can really take it.

In order to deploy your ground forces onto the planet (which are carried by the mothership and protectors) you must destroy all enemy ships, with the notable expection of drop troops (see below) who can drop onto a planet if you survive even 1 round of combat, unless the planet in question has shields.
Ground forces are as follows:

light infantry: name says it all
drop infantry: better than light infantry in every way, plus they can drop into combat.
heavy infantry: don't really dish it out much, but can take it well.
armor: give and take all the way
command posts: just take it but vital to other efforts, plus a bonus to the defenders units.

Combat is a dicefest similar to Axis and Allies, or the such, with each unit having so many dice of attack, but diffrent units can take more or less damage, if you can't destroy a full you can't hurt it.

As for non-combat you have command posts which are vital. when you take an action such as moving your fleet, or building units these things must be in range of your command posts. To give orders to a fleet to move, it must be in range, if not, no move till you expand your command range, build a new one on a closer planet. For building new units, you total the economic value of all planets in range of your command posts, and can use that production on your home planet, each other planet must do local production seperatly, which means they can't really produce much.

Technology is done by spending points and rolling a die. The farther along you are the harder it gets. You have space/ground ability, comm range (for your command posts) and jump range, how far your fleets can go in a single move.

The game also includes random events and special empire events which allow you to do unique actions. These get recycled as the game progresses allowing player to take certain special actions.

The goal is simple: Control of x worlds (depending on the number of players or something stupid like that :). The throneworld counts for extra worlds so is usually taken it would be very difficult to win with out it, even though it is difficult to conquer sometimes. The game can go on quite a while as players tend to team up on the leader, and the game can degenrate to a squable over the throneworld.

Rules/Play: B

Overall:
I like it, some nice features and a well done system. There is the BOD system going that can annoy me, plus even though I'm not a eurotrash/ameritrash player I still like my components to looks some what nice. Also despite the small physical size, this one can take forever sometimes. I would highly recommend it to any space empire fan. Other players might not be able to get into it enough to really enjoy this game, despite the fact that it is such a good game.

Overall: B
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It always seemed strange and sad to me that the same-genre game Twilight Imperium became so popular while Throneworld never caught on. I quite enjoyed Throneworld back when it came out. It seemed like a more serious/elegant game than TI. I'm boggled to see its forum here has only one article (this review), and that this only appeared in 2007. WTF!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lott
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
damm strait
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Vance
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
It always seemed strange and sad to me that the same-genre game Twilight Imperium became so popular while Throneworld never caught on. I quite enjoyed Throneworld back when it came out. It seemed like a more serious/elegant game than TI. I'm boggled to see its forum here has only one article (this review), and that this only appeared in 2007. WTF!

Bumped
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Smith
Canada
Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the review, you say you don't like the BOD. What is a BOD?

Warm regards, Rick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
What game was Throneworld based on?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Gene Ammons - Boss Tenor
badge
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
mbmbmbmbmb
prizziap wrote:

It shares a common background with Time Agent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
prizziap wrote:

Phoenix, a moderately large (10-20 players, typically) completely computer-moderated play-by-email empire building game that Don Woods and Steven Goodman wrote and I helped develop back in the late 80s / early 90s.

When I adapted/redesigned Phoenix to make Throneworld, I set it in the Time Agent universe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
TW is clearly more "Old School" than Ti3 and I think it is unfair to compare one to the other. Sure the setting is similar... take over the old Space Empire, but other than that they are completely different. Ti3 is about completing objectives. TW is more about attacking and controlling a certain number of worlds.

-M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I agree with regard to TI3. But TI3 is *very* different from TI, which came out at the same time as TW and did not have any mission structure... its original victory structure was number of worlds as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Gene Ammons - Boss Tenor
badge
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
I agree with regard to TI3. But TI3 is *very* different from TI, which came out at the same time as TW and did not have any mission structure... its original victory structure was number of worlds as well.

I bought both Throneworld and TI1, and thought Throneworld was clearly superior. But TI1 got several expansions, followed by TI2 and its expansions, and TI3 with its expansion. If Throneworld had received a commensurate level of post-publication improvement, I have no doubt it would blow our minds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Alta Loma
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
If Throneworld had received a commensurate level of post-publication improvement, I have no doubt it would blow our minds.

You're probably correct in that, Sphere. But then Tom brought us Race for the Galaxy so that to me more than makes up for it!

I bought both the original TI and Throneworld when they came out, and my gaming group at the time also liked and played Throneworld more. However after TI 2nd Edition came out we gravitated over to that game and I haven't played Throneworld since then. I think though after reading these posts that I'll dig out my copy of the game and try giving in another whirl with my current gaming group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Jigsaw
mbmbmbmbmb
Rick Smith wrote:
In the review, you say you don't like the BOD. What is a BOD?

Buckets of Dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.