Shadows of Malice» Forums » Variants

Subject: Cleansing (entering) the Shadow Realm rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
[This is a new idea I had an I'm very open to suggestions. Is the risk/reward worth it? Does it seem balanced/fun? Is it too easy/hard/complicated? Let me know what you think! *sorry it's so long, I can ramble on for the sake of clarity sometimes]

Scenario: Cleansing the Shadow Realm

The Avatars of Light have decided to try and cleanse the Shadow Realm. To do this they will require the services of a brave Mystic.

Purpose
The avatars can cleanse the Shadow realm to remove the Shadow's ability to spawn. They can also attempt to cleanse the Shadow Realm to provoke a death match with a weakened form of Xulthul for victory.

Getting to the Shadow Realm
The Avatars must recruit a Mystic into their band. To do so they simply move through a Mystic's space in Aethos and put his token on top of their Avatar tokens and the Mystic effectively joins their band (does not roll for movement/combat). The players must now head towards a Gate to enter the Shadow Realm.

To enter the Shadow Realm there MUST already be THREE unsealed Shadow gates in the Shadow Realm. The band and mystic can go to a random Shadow gate by traveling through a gate by succeeding on a LR of a 1d* roll [they end up at a random gate in the Shadow Realm]. If they FAIL the LR 1d* roll they are simply teleported with the mystic to another gate and can try again next turn if they wish. Note: Soulshards CANNOT alter the result, but each person in the band with the Mystic (he doesn't roll) MAY make the 1d* roll for a greater chance of success.

In the Shadow Realm
Once in the Shadow Realm (spawned at the gate) the Avatars are immediately jumped by an instantaneous Shadow and their movement ends.

Spawning Shadows in the Shadow Realm:
Do not use the generator in the Shadow Realm as they are still in Shadow form during combat. Each Shadow in the Shadow Realm that jumps the band will have a power of 2 with 1 ability and dissipates immediately after combat (win or lose). No wounds are carried over between instantaneous Shadows.

The Shadow spawned AT the Spawning Pit (when the band moves into the Spawning Pit) will have a power of 3 with TWO abilities. He is the "Defender of the Shadow Realm" and must be defeated in order to try and extinguish the Spawning Pit. His form is renewed during every combat (he does not carry over wounds).

Note: a Shadow already moving through the Shadow Realm CANNOT be attacked by the Avatars (the Avatars get attacked spontaneously ONLY after moving TOWARDS THE PIT and CANNOT interact with a shadow token already in the realm [it is headed towards Aethos no matter what]). The avatars may use the Mystics services instead of moving in the Shadow Realm (to heal, etc.) and will not be engaged by the Shadow (only engaged if they move a hex).

Avatars may withdraw a hex (towards the GATE not the Spawning PIT) per usual withdrawal rules during combat. They may also freely LEAVE the Shadow Realm at any time with no LR required but teleport to a random gate no matter what (and can bring the Mystic back home; note: the Mystic's services CANNOT be used while traveling in Aethos. He must be on his 'home space'.). They DO NOT have to fight a Shadow if they are retreating towards a Shadow Gate, but only if they advance towards the Spawning Pit (Shadow Realm Security LLC).

After combat with the generated Shadow the band's turn ends and the Shadow turn proceeds as normal. The band may move from hex to hex on their future turns (make a MR and roll the fate die as normal), but may move ONLY one hex per turn no matter what their MR is, to a maximum of 1 hex per move. Basically it takes 3 turns to get to the pit (2 movement [from the gate]/3 successful combats to enter the Shadow Pit [a Shadow IS encountered upon landing on the Spawning Pit].

Cleansing the Shadow Realm
Once they enter the Spawning Pit the avatars can attempt to cleanse the Shadow Realm and destroy the Spawning Pit. To do so the Mystic effectively rolls a LR against a 4. This CAN be influenced by soulshards by any band member in the SHADOW REALM ONLY (but they can add in extra shards from revealed light wells, etc.).

If the roll succeeds the Spawning Pit is closed and extinguished (the Shadow tokens in the Realm will NOT be killed and will still head towards Aethos). No more Shadows will form for the rest of the game. Two things can happen:

*) First and foremost the avatars in the Shadow Realm immediately HEAL ALL DRAINS (not wounds) (the power of light instills their life force).

1) If Xulthul is NOT spawned then cleansing the Shadow Realm will eliminate the Spawning Pit from the game and the players win by eliminating any left over shadows in Aethos upon a successful LR against the Spawning Pit. He can still spawn from any Shadows remaining in Aethos and the end game will proceed as normal if he spawns (goes for wells, etc.). The players are teleported from the Spawning Pit to a random gate in order to hunt the remaining Shadows in Aethos before they can spawn Xulthul.

2) If Xulthul IS spawned when the Avatars extinguish the Spawning Pit with a successful LR then Xulthul will immediately SUMMON the (healed of drains) Avatars to him and engage in combat (he's angry!). His power level is DROPPED by ONE because the Shadow Realm is cleansed (and he's weaker) and the avatars must defeat him to win. If an avatar DIES he remains DEAD (Xulthul's furious energy prevents restoration). If Xulthul DIES the game is over (so cleansing the Shadow Realm results in a death match with Xulthul if he's spawned when the Pit is cleansed).

If the roll fails the mystic explodes (ouch) and the avatars receive X amount of drains (where X = the difference the LR lost by; i.e. a LR of 2 would warrant 2 drains per band member in the Shadow Realm since they would have had to get a LR of 4) and are returned to a random gate in Aethos. The Shadow Realm pumps out Shadows like normal.

Notes
Note that Shadows still take their turns in Aethos while all of this is going on, and can still reveal light wells, and can still spawn Xulthul. In this regard it might be wise to have one avatar stay behind to fend off the Shadow in Aethos while the rest try to cleanse the Spawning Pit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason K
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, welcome to BGG. You're showing up as a new user. If this is the type of contribution that you'll regularly be making, then I for one am excited to have you on board!

Second, I'll try out your variant this evening and see how things play out. I like what you have so far. It looks like it could open up some fun new story (and tactical) options.

Edit: My only suggestion right now might be to make shadows more powerful in the shadow realm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GreatDebate wrote:
First off, welcome to BGG. You're showing up as a new user. If this is the type of contribution that you'll regularly be making, then I for one am excited to have you on board!

Second, I'll try out your variant this evening and see how things play out. I like what you have so far. It looks like it could open up some fun new story (and tactical) options.

That'd be great! Let me know how it goes and if you have any suggestions for change, and thanks! It is entirely optional and can be a bit of a 'last resort' thing if you want - or even a strategy to aim for from the beginning!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see a deck of Shadow cards that you draw from each turn when in the Shadow realm. Oddball, creepy encounters that convey the setting and unsettling nature of the environment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
I'd like to see a deck of Shadow cards that you draw from each turn when in the Shadow realm. Oddball, creepy encounters that convey the setting and unsettling nature of the environment.

That would be great for an expansion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GreatDebate wrote:

Edit: My only suggestion right now might be to make shadows more powerful in the shadow realm.

I think you're right. I made this change (level 2 Shadows with a level 3 'mini-boss' Shadow):

Spawning Shadows in the Shadow Realm:
Do not use the generator in the Shadow Realm as they are still in Shadow form during combat. Each Shadow in the Shadow Realm that jumps the band will have a power of 2 with 1 ability and dissipates immediately after combat (win or lose). No wounds are carried over between instantaneous Shadows.

The Shadow spawned AT the Spawning Pit (when the band moves into the Spawning Pit) will have a power of 3 with TWO abilities. He is the "Defender of the Shadow Realm" and must be defeated in order to try and extinguish the Spawning Pit. His form is renewed during every combat (he does not carry over wounds).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason K
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
79strat wrote:
GreatDebate wrote:

That'd be great! Let me know how it goes and if you have any suggestions for change, and thanks! It is entirely optional and can be a bit of a 'last resort' thing if you want - or even a strategy to aim for from the beginning!

Tried it and liked it a lot. I'll be adding it into my games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.