Hide
4 Posts

XCOM: The Board Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: "Tech tree" feel rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Weber
msg tools
So one of my favorite things from the video game is the tech tree and it's stuff. Trying to draw reqs out of the deck is frustrating so I thought of a small "Required Tech" deck to the side with things like Alien Alloys, Weapon Fragments, and Elerium.

My initial thoughts are to draw once from here as part of "new technology available" and then drawing again if the mission is completed during the round. This means that it would be possible to run through the req deck in 2 or 3 rounds so as not to substantially stunt research growth but offer a little bit of the Tech tree feel.

Even another pile could be added for the techs that require something and choose how many to draw from that pile and non-preq needing techs. Not sure about how much this would effect the game balance but would thematically fit the source material.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
badge
I like the idea. Perhaps rather than a deck all the cards are layed out in a tech tree order (overlaps for prerequisites). The 'hand' would consist of all cards currently uncovered. 'Discards' would involve turning a card face down (turned back up at the refresh stage).

Things that would need to change:
- Starting card that lets you discard and draw two

Perhaps this could instead let you research an item out of order (one level deep?)

- Card that lets you move discards to the top of the deck for scrap

Perhaps this could let you immediately turn the card face up. Could be overpowered? Maybe up the cost to 2 scrap.

On Balance:

Easier:
- Can plan exact upgrades and get what you want when you want it
- Don't have to rush your plan in the timed phase
- Have time to tell others what they will get next round

Harder:
- Some techs not available first up

Overall I think it will be easier, but this can be managed by difficulty setting anyway.

On Theme:

Plus:
- Tech tree makes sense, consistant with PC game
- Additional planning

Minus:
- Less pressure under time (almost no time pressure on this role)
- Games may be more predictable/samey

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the way that Kingdom Death: Monster handles it: the deck starts with only cards that have no prerequisites. When you develop something, you draw 2 and pick one of them. Once you've developed a tech, you add the cards that have it as a prereq into the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Weber
msg tools
Re: "Tech tree" feel
@Bruce A literal "Tech-tree" would seem pretty cool at first, but you're right in that it would wreck the time pressure and it would also diminish the random tech that contributes to the C.S.'s re-playability. Maybe some sort of random assortment for the positions on the tree? Random by tiers or just outright anarchy in the tech tree regardless of logical placement? Might be fun in a zaney sort of way.

@Benj I also thought along the lines small additional decks to insert. But I decided that might defeat some of the purpose for needing preqs, since it would just be a delay till you can then randomly draw them into your hand. My current idea is having 3 side decks corresponding to Weapon Fragments, Alien Alloys, and UFO Power (not elerium since it's a 2 point research, and I'm interpreting UFO Power in this context as a study of Alien power management rather than Power Generators).

It also happens that the decks are mostly biased towards certain roles. Weapon Fragments favors S.L, UFO Power favors Commander, Alien Alloys favor C.S. and C.O. I would put up the ones I decided on but I don't have them right next to me.

In practice the 3 preq cards would be drawn/chosen once a turn. Either they can have their own small deck or just be chosen to research as they sit on top of their preq pile.

And after they are researched the C.S. can draw from that pile during future turns by 1 or 2 cards (since there really are max 6 per pile) With any other techs being in a general pile that has no restrictions besides the 6 card hand limit.

I propose all this to give the C.S. more stuff to think about during the round, as I found it to be a bit less busy than the other roles. Which preq to go for, how much of which tech to draw from, maybe some kind of salvage payment to help research multiple preq piles at once? More details to nail down but the overall feel might be better.

I'm also gonna cross it over to this mod in my own games https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1315802/xcom-project-fan-ma...
with a few modifications to fit my goals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.