mbmbmbmb
A little confused here, thanks for the help! The rules say:

"After replacing deployment cards, starting with the first
player, players must place a hoard tile in each clear hex
occupied by a Great Dragon unit. If a Great Dragon unit
occupies a clear hex in the center row, a hoard tile cannot be
placed. If the Great Dragon unit occupies a non-clear hex, the
hoard tile cannot be placed. "

Does this mean, that if a Great Dragon is deployed in center row or a non-clear hex, you don't place the hoard (But still place the dragon and in effect making him better since you get a Dragon without the potential 3 VP hoard tile that the opponent could claim)

OR

Does this mean you can't deploy a Great Dragon on a center row or non-clear hex since you must be able to place a hoard tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not a restriction on placing the Dragon. If the scenario allows the Dragon to be placed on a non-clear hex or a clear hex in the center row, then you can place the Dragon there, and in that event, there is no hoard. You may see that as an advantage in possible VP, but it also increases the chance that your opponent will get in some preliminary damage against the Dragon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian Roth
Switzerland
Basel
Basel-Stadt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for the quick reply! (I assumed it would be placed like that, but the wording confused me anyway.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex N
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the scenarios in front of me, but please explain center row for me. If the scenario shows four rows of deployment hexes which one is center?

And when is it ever possible to muster a unit on a non-clear terrain? I don't recall deployment hexes ever appearing on forests, hills, towns, or rivers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The center row is the one that is half on one player's scenario card and half in the other. It's the one in the center of the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hanna
United States
Eastbourne, England (Yankee go home!)
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carthoris wrote:
The center row is the one that is half on one player's scenario card and half in the other. It's the one in the center of the board.

Yeah that's right and it took me a while to figure out that the center row is actually split in control in equal halves. At least I think that is the case, for purposes of some lore cards, where VP are awarded for eliminating units on 'the friendly side of the board' or the 'enemy side of the board.'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hanna
United States
Eastbourne, England (Yankee go home!)
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chiefsachem wrote:
I don't have the scenarios in front of me, but please explain center row for me. If the scenario shows four rows of deployment hexes which one is center?

And when is it ever possible to muster a unit on a non-clear terrain? I don't recall deployment hexes ever appearing on forests, hills, towns, or rivers.

Daqan scenario A1 'Mustering the Militia' I think is the only one, where a unit can possibly be set up in a river hex. So it would have to be the Roc Warrior there, a Decoy, or the ford placed there to allow a land unit to set up.

However, I also think the designers did not want to limit the possibilities in design-your-own scenarios with the scenario builder. It's not as if we are limited to the scenarios that come with the game/expansions, although I am not big on self-designed scenarios. There is already enough to work with!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dawid
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually it's not like that.
Honosbinda wrote:
Yeah that's right and it took me a while to figure out that the center row is actually split in control in equal halves. At least I think that is the case, for purposes of some lore cards, where VP are awarded for eliminating units on 'the friendly side of the board' or the 'enemy side of the board.'
As we can read in the Reference Book under the Game Board
Quote:
The center row is shared, and is considered part of both players’ halves of the game board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Münster
NRW
flag msg tools
Hidden trackable information in games sucks!
badge
I play games for fun and pursuing the goal to win the game is fun! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Honosbinda wrote:

Daqan scenario A1 'Mustering the Militia' I think is the only one, where a unit can possibly be set up in a river hex.

No, the Uthuk Y'llan have two scenario cards where that is also possible: A1 and B1.

Honosbinda wrote:
[Daqan A1] So it would have to be the Roc Warrior there, a Decoy, or the ford placed there to allow a land unit to set up.

Or Razorwings or (even better) a Great Dragon (without a hoard hex)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Münster
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carthoris wrote:
You may see that as an advantage in possible VP, but it also increases the chance that your opponent will get in some preliminary damage against the Dragon.

In what way? A hoard hex provides no protection to a unit on it.

I haven't played with the Great Dragon so far (though I've just bought it and hope to remedy that soon ), but I'd say it is quite obvious that having to place a hoard hex is a considerable disadvantage for the player with a Great Dragon. The hoard's negative effect is 1.5 times as bad as that of a command tent (at least when not considering the latter's deployment limitation). And a command tent is worth -5 muster points! The hoard's positive effect (the option for a Great Dragon to move to it instead of otherwise moving or attacking) seems negligible considering the dragon's rather high move of 3 - it seems to me you will only want to use the move-to-hoard option rarely if at all.

So I'd say mustering a Great Dragon usually becomes considerably more attractive in a scenario where you can deploy it on a non-clear hex or on a hex in the center row. None of the 36 official scenario cards allow deployment on a center row hex but (as has already been said) Daqan scenario A1 and Uthuk scenarios A1 and B1 allow deployment (of a Flying unit) on a water hex (i. e. a non-clear hex).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Münster
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just noticed that if the Daqan player musters a Great Dragon in the pre-built scenario "The Sound of Thunder" from the Mountain Giant expansion, the disadvantage of the hoard hex becomes irrelevant (while still providing the slight benefit of the move-to-hoard option):
The other two pre-built scenarios explicitly prohibit mustering Legend units, but "The Sound of Thunder" doesn't, so mustering a Great Dragon should be allowed there.
But VP are irrelevant for the Uthuk player in this scenario, so the Daqan player could muster it without a hoard disadvantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.