La Bataille de Dresde» Forums » Rules

Subject: Extended line and Roll to Close Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few more questions as my Scenario 1 game progresses.

I assume that when a unit such as a cavalry unit extends its line, it has to pay the MP cost for the hexes extended into? Or does the formation change cost cover any line extension? 9.3, 12.2

12.1.1 Rolling to Close. This check is made to Assault if the assaulting infantry unit starts adjacent to its target. Units that Roll to Close make a morale check with a -6 modifier. It then describes some other morale check modifiers. One of them is "assaulting a flank". Is assaulting a flank a morale check modifier or a Roll to Close modifier? What is the morale check modifier for assaulting a flank?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Wimble
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that is correct. Whenever a unit enters a hex it pays the movement point cost for that hex. So if a unit changes formation and wishes to also extend its formation into multiple hexes, it first changes formation then moves into those hexes. Now, being intuitive about this, in the case of a cavalry unit that expands from one hex to three (into its two adjacent hexes) this move can be considered simultaneous, so only one extra movement point need be spent though the unit entered two hexes. The exception would be light cavalry that changes formation into tirailleurs a cheval, since that is a two hex formation to begin with, though a stickler can make the case that it does cost the extra movement point and is not an exception. That's OK.

Rolling to Close: Right, this last line is confusing as there are no morale benefits to assaulting into the rear or flank of a unit. There is just a strength multiple for doing this during assault. So the only modifier that would really apply is if the rolling to close units have a leader stacked with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Ed!

I am an experienced ML player who graduated to the Regs and enjoyed them. I like some of the ideas in this newest version of the rules, but it is a little tough to be sure that I'm following their intent. Either way, the visual effect of the game is wonderful and like the old miniatures player that I am, I'll probably end up stealing some of the new ideas I like and tacking them onto the Regs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This does raise one question for me that may be intentional but seems a bit counter-intuitive based on my past experience with the rules system.

If an assaulting unit successfully rolls to close, it doesn't have to take a pre-melee assault morale check. This seems to sometimes make it more difficult to successfully assault from a distance. From memory, it used to be easier to close from a distance.

While the Roll to Close check is at a -6 modifier, it seems this check might be much easier than a unit that moves into assault from a hex away. The moving unit would have to make a assault morale check which would be modified by assault odds, def fire casualties, and assaults on special structures. Potentially, this check could be at much worse odds than -6. For example, a unit assaulting a redoubt from a hex away that suffered an increment loss from def fire would suffer a -9 check modifier.

Does this reflect the fact that the adjacent assaulter might be approaching a fortified objective more carefully?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Wimble
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that is true. The net effect can make it more difficult for units that close from a distance. However, since it is now odds based rather than distance, fewer melees will result, and if they do the likelihood is that the odds will be more even, and more blank results will occur. So actual melee will be less frequent, but bloodier, with several rounds resulting from a single assault. Especially when in terrain that mandates general order.

Good arguments can be made in favor of both approaches. Let's see if you notice any difference using the Regs. in the rain on the 27th when none of the muskets will fire. That's when Dresden takes on the mantle of an ancients battle... pushing and shoving where depth overrides breadth of formation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.