Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Australia » NSW (Sydney)

Subject: Rockin' it Old Skool rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: australia [+] [View All]
Iain Triffitt
Australia
Five Dock, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to set aside a day each month (starting in March) for trying out the old AH games I have (Kremlin, Gunslinger, Amoeba Wars, Republic of Rome) before I put them out to pasture on Ebay (perhaps).

If possible, I'd like to play them with the full complement of players, so this would take a full day.

I could host it at my place (we managed - just - an eight player Arkham Horror game on the long weekend) or we could rotate between people's houses and games.

Anyone else interested? Anyone else got "old skool" games they want to unearth for a final performance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a blast. Too bad I'm on the other side of the world!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Triffitt
Australia
Five Dock, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sauceybugger wrote:
I'd be up for that!
Just off the top of my head Titan, Pax Britannica, Civ, Mystic Wood, Wiz War, Empires of the Middle Ages,Down with the King.

Oh and please before you Ebay anything ask me first, you may have something I lost in the fire!!! soblue

S.B.

Serves you right for smoking (sez a hypocritical not-quite ex-smoker.)

I still have Titan as well. Mystic Wood doesn't take very long (and I thought I had that as well, but it's probably got lost in one of the many moves.)

I used to have "Down With the King" but I got rid of it because it was too fiddly and took too long. Now I realise it was way ahead of its time, being basically a ref-less RPG.

Wiz War and Empires I'd definitely like to try. I'll give Pax Britannica a try as well.

Probably have to make the rules for these games available to participants at least a week before hand, and find all the player aids we can!

And I'll definitely pass stuff by you before I put it on Ebay, Jamie!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Grelis
Australia
Surry Hills
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
HO!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can add 'Kingmaker' to that list and the AH version of 'History of the World'.

Consider my hand thrust firmly skywards for the playing of these also. May be able to host at my place one day, will ask the 'trouble'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Derscheid
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trif wrote:
I want to set aside a day each month (starting in March) for trying out the old AH games I have (Kremlin, Gunslinger, Amoeba Wars, Republic of Rome) before I put them out to pasture on Ebay (perhaps).

If possible, I'd like to play them with the full complement of players, so this would take a full day.

I could host it at my place (we managed - just - an eight player Arkham Horror game on the long weekend) or we could rotate between people's houses and games.

Anyone else interested? Anyone else got "old skool" games they want to unearth for a final performance?

Merchant of Venus and Kremlin have aged well, Amoeba Wars not so much.

Let us know how it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Triffitt
Australia
Five Dock, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
derscheid wrote:

Merchant of Venus and Kremlin have aged well, Amoeba Wars not so much.

Let us know how it goes.

I was quite surprised by Amoeba Wars when I finally played it a couple of years ago. It's no classic (and can get bogged down in die rolling) but there are some interesting mechanics there. If anything it will whet my appetite for Twilight Imperium.

Haven't played Kremlin in ages, but I agree with you about Merchant of Venus (as long as you don't play with the aliens!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Oppenheim
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in as a possible (and as a pre ebay interest too - especially amoeba wars - ( sad biology teacvher who loves anything to do with the good ol primordial soup)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Triffitt
Australia
Five Dock, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brucew_o wrote:
Count me in as a possible (and as a pre ebay interest too - especially amoeba wars - ( sad biology teacvher who loves anything to do with the good ol primordial soup)

Unfortunately Amoeba Wars has more to do with space conquest than biology.

The dreaded space amoebas are more obstacles than anything else.

But there's always the dreaded Doomsday Machine!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.