Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone good at both German and English? The latest FAQ I could find is here http://www.dlp-games.de/content/orleansfaq

I used google translate and came up with this:

Enhance events

Who the events in "Orléans" to be harmless, the following variant can play.(Incidentally, it was during the development of Orléans a number of other interesting events. Ultimately, however, we have limited ourselves to 6 events to help you get started, because events can affect the game well and it is important that you have a general overview , what might be in a. In addition, we did not want that the game will be affected due to the events too heavily on chance.)

Events upgrade:

• From the 18 hourglass cards 3 sets are formed. Each set consists of 1x pilgrimage, harvest, taxes, income, trading and Pest (ie each event is per set 1 time ago).
• The sets are shuffled. The set with the Start Card pilgrimage is mixed without this card and the enrollment card then placed on top of it. The sets are now stored face down next to the game board.
• Now take the first stack with the start card "pilgrimage" and puts these on the hourglass-field. If the event cards of the first stack depleted after 6 rounds, its commitment to the next batch on the hourglass-field. After the 12th round, finally, the third stack.
• The following rules apply:
• Pest and pilgrimage always remain the same in their effects. For the other events 1-6 (first stack) applies to the rounds:
• Harvest: Give 1 food from (or pay money 5).
• Tax: Pay 1 coin per goods.
• Revenue: You gain 3 coins per the achieved level of development.
• Dealing: You gain 3 coins per Kontor.
• For the rounds 7-12 (second stack) applies:
• Harvest: Give 2 food from (or pay 10 money).
• Tax: Pay 1 coin per 2 merchandise.
• Revenue: You gain 2 coins per the achieved level of development.
• Dealing: You gain 2 coins per Kontor.
• For the rounds 13-18 (third stack) applies:
• Harvest: Give 3 foods from (or pay 15 money).
• Tax: Pay 1 coin per 3 merchandise.
• Revenue: You gain 1 coin per the achieved level of development.
• Dealing: You gain 1 coin per Kontor.

Tip: individuals with 2 sides

Because even allowed on fields of action placed persons no longer be implemented, on the other hand are pushed back and forth during the planning phase people, there was the question of how one can solve the problem, the people already set in previous rounds of those who are currently set to distinguish.
Who has the Holzmeeple, now has the best possibilities. Firstly, the stickers are slightly different in the front and back sides, but probably not enough for a quick overview. You can also paste the Meeples but only on one side, so that the other side without sticker is. Then the actions are planned with the sticker loose side and as soon as the figures are once set, shot on the sticker page.
Who does not want to give up the stickers, can stand the figures in the planning phase and once the plan was completed, lie down - or vice versa.

The bathhouse syndrome

The bathhouse is strong. Is it too strong, even overpowering? Or just felt too strong, because you tried yet too few other strategies and has optimized? Anyway, there have been discussions about the bathhouse plentiful in the past few days and we thought, what the problem is and how to fix it.

It is in the nature of games like Orléans that strategies and card combinations are perceived as strong or overpowering. Discussions on powerful strategies on powerful cards and - at least felt - unbalanced card combinations there will certainly be continued. And why not, after all, it is the purpose of trying to figure out the best strategy in the game and optimize - which of course only succeed if the other players allow it.

One hundred percent balance is neither possible nor the goal, after all, it would be boring if it did not matter which card or which combination of cards you choose and you would always end up with the same result.

For this reason, there is the following rule extension that will also be available from the next edition in the printed rule:

Rules Extension: Exclusion of location map (recommended for experienced players)
At the beginning of the game (before the first round), each player chooses in turn, beginning with the starting player, a Map from (from category I or II), which is removed from the game and placed back in the box. In two-player game, each player selects 2 cards.

Additional Rule: Exclusion of Place Tiles (Recommended for Experienced Players)
At the beginning of the game (before the first round), beginning with the start player and in clockwise order, each player may exclude one Place Tile from play (from category I or II). Put the tiles back into the game excluded box. In a 2-player game, each player excludes 2 tiles.

The rule extension is optional. In a first game most players are the cards have not yet penetrated so far, in order to know what they want to exclude. Later, you can thus prevent players just "pull through", "their" strategy.

For this rule extension a few explanations: planned it was really only for - you guessed it - in the event that there would be more local maps for Orléans. And where then already a rule would for the selection of those cards that participate in a game, second-hand you can imagine that in developing and testing new ideas for local maps emerge, others kicked out, not to prove themselves, to be changed, be reingenommen again etc.
So there is still more ideas or location cards - two of them, we have distributed a promo postcard - which in part has to do a bit mature. Not ruled out so that it soon ... you know ...

Ultimately, there was at Orléans a selection of 20 local cards, which had proved successful and were found to be good and now be in the box. Well, because we somehow the bathhouse slipped into a form that is not so had just allowed reinrutschen.But since we do the bathhouse now not just want to throw out only with the above rule, we also rule change proposals collected specifically for the bathhouse and ask the front bottom.

Weaken the bathhouse

Of course there is more than just a way to modify the bathhouse. And as I have already received several proposals and you who will not deny that ideas are all listed it here. So that your still not lose track, I have referred to my amendment as the "official", which does not mean that you do not favor others, to try and agree on can. And here are the proposals:

1. Official Version:
Instead of 3 to 1, only 2 to 1. That is the bathhouse-player draws 2 platelets (provided in the bag) seeks 1 of them and puts the other back into the bag. (If only 1 is in the bag, he has no choice and must take.)
In this version, the Knight effect is eliminated. The character of platelets is preserved (quality improvement and ability to perform an action two times), but you do not get additionally the advantage that you get 1 more platelets per round. (Thanks to Attila, who had also been proposed in this Spielboxforum.)

2. The test version
The bathhouse must always be played in the Action phase as 1 action.
Thus, the strong double actions are no longer possible.
(For a long time the bathhouse was used in the tests with this restriction. It was then amended and changed and somehow remained the restriction on the sidelines.)

3. The malt-Trictrac shift
Stefan Malz has - as some commentators in the French Trictrac forum - proposed simply to move the bathhouse of Category I in Category II. Simple and elegant.

4. Maltes solution
By Malte I received by mail the following proposal:
The two figures, which we refer about the bathhouse, are simply placed in Phase 5 (Actions) beside the player panel similar to the technique platelets. When all players have passed, the two followers may be used on the panel. But perform no action more.
Conclusion: No double occupancy of a building. Advantage that the market for the next round is not too busy for that player and he already can plan anything in advance. Thus the bathhouse is still a very interesting slide because it allows more people without having to remove the knight immediately. At the same time but not forced to strong combos (eg 2x the Ratskeller in one round).

5. Grzegorz 'variant
Grzegorz Kobiela, translator into English of Orléans, proposes to replace the Action field. Instead the farmer only a monk or scholar should be able to activate the bathhouse.

I think all ideas appealing. Who has more suggestions, they can at info@dlp-games.de email.You will then be published here. To be able to finally assess what is best, of course, lacks the necessary experience.

The order problem

Perhaps we are a bit underestimated, that the way in Orleans will be played at the same time simultaneously and in sequence, could cause problems. But the phrase "at the same time simultaneously and in order" shows already where lies the rub.
That's why I filed with Stefan Malz together in a formulation which is how this simple per se, but generally technically not exactly usual facts that it (hopefully) in future games will be no more problems:

Turn Order
Most phases can be played simultaneously. In Phase 4 (planning phase) all begin at the same time to plan. Each player says once he's done, finished its planning. If in doubt this happens in order - starting with the starting player and clockwise. For disbursements in the same order applies.

Turn Order
Most phases can be Played Simultaneously. In Phase 4 (Planning), start planning at the same time. Then tell the other players When You Are Done planning. If need be, do this in turn order, ie beginning with the start player and in clockwise order. Likewise, payments resolve daß same order.

Extensions
The question was asked and expressed the desire: Will there soon be an extension? Clearly yes. In the development of Orléans, not all ideas and possibilities are housed, this was beyond the scope. Events, places and so on ... Orléans should long remain exciting.

Is the sacristy too weak?
The sacristy unfold (like every place) their strength only in combination with a particular strategy or with other places. Who has many monks will lose several very likely one or by the plague. Before that you can protect yourself with the sacristy. And who collects goods and must pay at the end of the game tax, also appreciate the value of this building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Naxer
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm slowly working through translating everything! I'm not a native speaker, but did learn German translation for my degree program, so here is my best shot at it. Once I complete my translation of everything, I'll get it checked from some native speakers and edit my posts.

Orleans FAQ

Increase the Value of Events
To somebody who finds the events in "Orleans" to be easy, you can play the following variant. (By the way, there were a number of other interesting events in the development of Orleans. Ultimately, however, we have limited ourselves to 6 events to help you get started, because events can significantly affect the game and it is important that you have a general overview of what be in a game. In addition, we did not want the game to be influenced too much on the basis of events from chance.)

-From the 18 hourglass cards form 3 sets. Each set consists of 1x pilgrimage, harvest, taxes, income, trading day, and plague (thus each event is in each set 1 time).
-The sets are shuffled. The set with the start card (light colored pilgrimage) is shuffled without this card and the start card is situated on top afterwards. The sets are now placed facedown next to the game board.
-Now you lay the first stack with the start card "pilgrimage" on the hourglass tiles. When the events in the stack complete the first 6 rounds, you continue to the next stack of hourglass tiles. The third stack follows after round 12.

The following rules apply:
-Plague and pilgrimage effect always stays the same.

For the other events during rounds 1-6 (first stack):
-Harvest: Give 1 food away (or pay 5 money).
-Taxes: Pay 1 coin per good.
-Income: You gain 3 coins per development point.
-Trading Day: You gain 3 coins per trading station.

For rounds 7-12 (second stack):
-Harvest: Give 2 food away (or pay 10 money).
-Taxes: Pay 1 coin per 2 goods.
-Income: You gain 2 coins per development point.
-Trading Day: You gain 2 coins per trading station.

For rounds 13-18 (third stack):
-Harvest: Give 3 food away (or pay 15 money).
-Taxes: Pay 1 coin per 3 goods.
-Income: You gain 1 coin per development point.
-Trading Day: You gain 1 coin per trading station.

Tip: People with 2 Sides

At the end of the action phase people are placed with no more rearrangements allowed; however, during the planning phase people are going to and fro, which creates the problem of how is one able to differentiate between the people ready in the previous round from the people of the current round, and undo the actual activated people. If you have the wooden meeples, you have several different possibilities. One way is with stickers—it is not hard to have a different front and back, but probably not enough difference to see at a glance. You can also only sticker one side of the meeples, so that there is a side without a sticker. Then the actions with the non-stickered side will be planned and as soon as the figures are set, they will be turned to the stickered side. Those without the stickers can stand the figures in the planning phase and as soon as the planning is closed, lie down — or the other way around.

The Bathhouse Syndrome

The batthouse is strong. Is it too strong, even overpowered? Or only feels too strong, because one still has to try out and optimize a few different strategies? Anyway, there has been ample discussion of the bathhouse in the past few days and we thought about what the problem is and how to solve the problem.

It lies in the nature of games like Orleans that strategies and card combinations are perceived as strong or overpowered. Discussions about powerful strategies and overpowered cards – at least what feels like – unbalanced card combinations will certainly continue. Why not, after all it is the purpose of trying to figure out the best strategy in the game and optimize – which of course only succeed if the other players allow it.

100% balance is neither possible nor the goal, because in the end it would be boring if it did not matter which cards or which card combinations you choose and you would always end up at the same conclusion.

For this reason there is the following rule expansion that will also be available in the rules of future printed editions:

Additional Rule: Exclusion of Place Tiles (Recommended for Experienced Players)
At the beginning of the game (before the first round), beginning with the Start Player and in clockwise order, each player may exclude one Place Tile from play (from category I or II). Put the excluded tiles back into the game box. In a 2-player game, each player excludes 2 tiles.

The rule expansion is optional. During the first game most players will not yet have much knowledge of the cards, in order to know what they want to exclude. Later on you can prevent players from "pulling through their" strategy.

For this rule expansion a few explanations: It was really planned for – you guessed it already – in the event that there would be more place cards for Orleans. And then there would be a rule for the selection of those cards to join in a game. You can imagine that in developing and testing new ideas emerge for place cards, and some are kicked out, some are changed, etc.
So there are still ideas for place cards – we have distributed two of them as Promo-Postcards – and a few still have to mature. It is also not impossible that soon...you know already...

Ultimately, there was a selection of 20 place cards for Orleans, which were successful and were found to be good that are now in the box. Well, somehow the bathhouse slipped into a form that had not been allowed to just slip inside. But since we do not want to just throw out the Bathhouse with the above rule, we also have collected rule change proposals for the Bathhouse and put them below.

Weakening the Bathhouse

Naturally there is more than one possibility to modify the Bathhouse. And I have already received several suggestions and all the ideas are here. So you are not lost with the overview, I have described my changed suggestions as "official" and after that we can reach an agreement. And here are the suggestions:

1. Official Version:

Instead of 3 for 1, only 2 for 1. That is to say the bathhouse-player draws 2 character tiles (provided that they can from their bag), chooses 1 of them and puts the other back in the bag. (If there is only 1 in the bag, there is no choice and you must take it.)
In this version, the Knight effect is eliminated. The character tile is preserved (quality improvement and ability to perform an action two times), but you do not get the additional advantage that you get 1 more character tile per round. (Thanks to Attila, who had also proposed this in Spielboxforum.)

2. The Test Version

The bathhouse MUST always be played in the action phase as 1 action. Thus, the strong double actions are no longer possible.
(For a long time the bathhouse was used in the tests with this restriction. It was then amended, changed, and somehow the restriction remained on the sidelines.)

3. The Malz-Tric-Trac Shift

Stefan Malz has – as well as some commenters in the French Tric-Trac forum – proposed simply to move the bathhouse from Category I to Category II. Simple and elegant.

4. Malte's Solution

From Malte I received by mail the following proposal:
The two character tiles, in reference to the bathhouse, are simply placed in Phase 5 (Actions) beside the player board similar to the character tiles. When all players have passed, the two character tiles may be used on the board. But perform no more actions.
Conclusion: No double occupancy of a building. The advantage is that the market for the next round is not too busy for that player and he already can plan anything in advance. Thus the bathhouse is still a very interesting place because it allows more character tiles without having to recruit a knight immediately. At the same time the combos are not too strong (e.g. The Ratskeller in one round).

5. Grzegorz's Variant

Grzegorz Kobiela, translator of Orleans into English, proposes to replace the Action field. Instead of a farmer, only a monk or scholar should be able to activate the bathhouse.

I think all ideas are appealing. If you have more suggestions, you can send them to info@dlp-games.de. You will then be published here. To be able to finally assess what is best, of course, lacks the necessary experience.

The Order Problem

Perhaps we underestimated the way Orleans would be played, both simultaneously and in sequence, and that it could cause problems. But the phrase "both simultaneously and in order" shows already where the problem is. That's why Stefan Malz and I put together a formulation which is simple, per se, but is (hopefully) useful for eliminating problems in future games:

Turn Order

Most phases can be played simultaneously. In Phase 4 (Planning), start planning at the same time. Then tell the other players when you are done planning. If need be, do this in turn order, i.e. beginning with the Start Player and in clockwise order. Likewise, resolve payments in that same order.

Expansions

The question was asked and the desire was expressed: will there be an expansion soon? Clearly yes. In the development of Orleans, not all ideas and possibilities are included. This was beyond the scope. Events, places and so on...Orleans should long remain exciting.

Is the Sacristy Too Weak?

The sacristy place (like every place) has strength only in combination with a particular strategy or with other places. A player with many monks will very likely lose one or several from the plague. Before that you can protect yourself with the sacristy. And the player who collects goods and must pay taxes at the end of the game also appreciates the value of this building.

EDITS: language cleanups, formatting, adding content from the original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Appreciate the help, when done I'll be happy to put it in a pdf document and upload it for everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.