GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

7,931 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Birds of a Feather» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First play session of Birds of a Feather rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
Playing more games is better!
badge
Collecting games is not playing games!
mbmbmbmbmb
I (gamer and bird agnostic) played a game with SluggishTwitch (gamer and bird lover), my dad (non-gamer and bird lover) and my mom (non-gamer and bird agnostic). I picked this up specifically due to the bird lovers in my life. Twitch and my mom were able to get the app on their phones, my 4 year old phone's battery decided to not comply with its only duty and my dad's phone was being difficult and wouldn't load the google store so he and I used the paper sheets. The app is amazing, keeps score on the fly and is super easy to use. Use the app. Paper works and was easy to mark and keep track of but the scoring took a little longer. So many stars.

We used the base rules, no raptors, no migration and no drafting as it was our first game. I handed out the cards before giving a visual representation of how the game plays and I didnt want to reshuffle all the cards so we made due with a verbal explanation. We all played our first cards, scored them and then I explained that given there were two ocean out, it may behoove them to play ocean cards to grab those points. The game went smoothly from then on, my dad played one card and right after it was flipped he realized that he should have played an ocean card to grab more points from the lingering spread as one of them was an ace. Strategy was starting to gel which is already a good thing. Twitch managed to keep her rare desert card until I was out of desert cards, of which I think I had two in the beginning. So I finished with every bird except that one stupid jerk bird, a rook or crow I think. Now that they have a better understanding of the game I am sure next time I will not be allowed to get that score. I have put a target on my back.

Everything went smooth, it all made sense, the game was a fun light game that we all enjoyed. If we werent all dead tired we would definitely have played again and both of the non-gamers said they really liked it and looked forward to playing it more. As the heaviest gamer at the table I also want to play more of it. My dad said he was hoping the birding theme would come through more and I explained the raptor and migration rules and apologized for being very mechanical about the instructions. Next time we will get a little more into the theme, I am headed to the Forest and I spy a Varied Thrush. Maybe it will help with that. I did a disservice to the fantastic art and like I said, we were all tired anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Africa Brass v. 1 & 2
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh. I've ordered this as a Xmas present for my granddaughter, who is quite a bird lover, but I find the image of everyone sitting around punching their smart phones as they play extremely off-putting. Surely people can put them down for long enough to play a card game without getting the DTs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Hauser
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There is absolutely no requirement to use the smart phone app to keep score. The game comes with a deck of scorecards and they work perfectly fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jhauser42 wrote:
There is absolutely no requirement to use the smart phone app to keep score. The game comes with a deck of scorecards and they work perfectly fine.

I assumed that, else I wouldn't have bought it. My point was that I wouldn't enjoy playing with a group who were using them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
jhauser42 wrote:

I assumed that, else I wouldn't have bought it. My point was that I wouldn't enjoy playing with a group who were using them.

Eh, it's really not that bad. It's not like people are texting their friends or surfing the web (if they are, I totally agree with you). It's literally just a reusable score pad that does the math for you.

I personally don't see a difference between tapping a phone and scribbling on a score pad, but I can empathize with people that strictly encourage phone-free time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
Playing more games is better!
badge
Collecting games is not playing games!
mbmbmbmbmb
The scorekeeper app is just like the note pad. No one was going awol on other apps while we were playing. Otherwise there would have been toilet flushings of phones. It just makes scoring easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMCarnochan wrote:
The scorekeeper app is just like the note pad. No one was going awol on other apps while we were playing. Otherwise there would have been toilet flushings of phones. It just makes scoring easier.

Maybe you can control it better than I think, but I remain skeptical. In my experience, if people are using their phones for one thing they'll often be distracted by others, e.g. a text message arrives and it'll "just take a sec" to check it. People don't engage properly when their nose are in screens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dreadknot Knotdread
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
IMCarnochan wrote:

Maybe you can control it better than I think, but I remain skeptical. In my experience, if people are using their phones for one thing they'll often be distracted by others, e.g. a text message arrives and it'll "just take a sec" to check it. People don't engage properly when their nose are in screens.

Not sure what ages you're playing with but my group of adult gamers have no issue with actively engaging in a game and using an app as a virtual scorepad, without getting unnecessarily distracted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.