Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

Fury of Dracula (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Chartered Carriage vs. False Tip-Off rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Where were you hiding when the storm broke?
Philippines
Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone posted this on FFG's Fury of Dracula boards; I'm not sure how to call it, so I thought I'd post it here as well.

Quote:
"False Tip-Off and Chartered Carriage state they can cancel each other out. One can be used to block the other.

When this happens, can the hunter then still roll a die to attempt to ride the rail as normal, or does this cancellation prevent any rail riding?

In the case of a Chartered Carriage cancelling False Tip-Off, Chartered Carriage states playing the card takes the place of a rail roll. False Tip-off automatically forces delay from customs, therefore playing Chartered Carriage on False Tip-Off would block the customs stop. My assumption is that this means that the player is allowed to roll as normal and is not forced to walk.

If, however, the False Tip-off cancels a Chartered Carriage, Chartered Carriage has already taken the place of the rail roll, therefore, when False Tip-Off cancels it, it seems it would force the player to take the road and not allow them to roll for rails as normal.

Personally, I don't like this second reading, but Dracula argued heavily for it in a game last night. Thoughts?"

Far as I can tell, it's a question of whether the second card that is played (whether 'carriage or 'tip-off) merely cancels out the first card played, and does nothing but cancel the first card; or the second card replaces the effect of the first card with its own listed effect. Comments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
https://greydolphingames.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
The key here is to remember that once a hunter decides to take the rail, they may not change to the road, nor may they stay where they are (except on a roll of 0 or X). Here's the way it should be.

Two situations:
1) Hunter declares he/she will take the train.
2) Dracula plays False Tip-off. The hunter does not roll the die. The result is automatically an X.
3) Hunter plays Chartered Carriage, which Cancels False Tip-off, obliterating the roll of X.
4) Hunter must take train as they declared they would, so the hunter now rolls the die.

OR

1) Hunter declares he/she will take the train.
2) Hunter plays Chartered Carriage. The hunter does not roll the die. His/her die roll is now 2/3 "express".
3) Dracula plays False-Tip-off, which cancels Chartered Carriage, obliterating the roll of 2/3.
4) Hunter must take the train as they declared they would, so the hunter now rolls the die.

chartered carriage basically guarantees that you'll get a train roll that turn, so use it if you really need it.
Interestingly, the spanish rules do not allow chartered carriage to cancel false-tipoff. But, the english rules do. Haha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.